Tow Straps

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s pretty amusing that someone would buy a “Jeep” and ASSUME that, despite the fact it clearly is not equipped with off-road equipment, that it is an off-road vehicle.

I’ve owned several Jeep Cherokees and i made certain, before I paid for them, they had the equipment installed for the purposes I planned to use them.
They were good experiences.

(I DID manage to get the first one very stuck in sand however, the first time I tried to show-off in it, despite the 4-wheel drive. It seems they do better if the driver releases the parking brake.). (LOL)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Besides just some good information internet forums are entertaining! Beats a movie. No commercials and you get to use your imagination!

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
It’s pretty amusing that someone would buy a “Jeep” and ASSUME that, despite the fact it clearly is not equipped with off-road equipment, that it is an off-road vehicle.

)
I find it more amusing that you Assumed I bought it as an off road vehicle,

I bought the wife a "Limited" I only assumed that it would at the very least have a few hard points to pull her back onto the road on a rare occasion.

That being said one of the positive posts on here mentioned J-hooks and I think those are a good $50 investment for the Kubota

It will make getting all the Neighbors unstuck easier too

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Isn't a Jeep Limited only 'limited' by your wallet? Trying to be a good supporter of Toledo Jeep (I live 15 miles north of Stickney Avenue Assembly), I bought a CJ7 Renegade some years back. What a turd.

Kept it 2 years and offed it. Never bought another one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I bought the wife a "Limited" I only assumed that it would at the very least have a few hard points to pull her back onto the road on a rare occasion.

That being said one of the positive posts on here mentioned J-hooks and I think those are a good $50 investment for the Kubota

I assumed that the wifes caddy would be a bear if it ever got stuck, but was pleasantly surprised at how strong everything is on it, it's got a 1 1/4" sway bar front and rear, heck it's as big as my truck!

It's yet to get stuck...I do say yet because we both know how bad the roads get here!

GeoHorn, On road here can get quite tricky in the winter, you never know what's going to happen!
Just the last few weeks we've been hammered by snow after snow, was warm was cold, so all sorts of odd layers of ice and snow and slush, it can take you right off the road in an instant, even with it cleared off.
gssixgun is just across the Hwy from me (spitting distance) and his road is tree lined ( think solid wall of 50+ foot evergreens) so he doesn't get alot of sun on it during the winter so that further complicates things. :(

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
sixgun said:
sixgun said:
....I only assumed that it would at the very least have a few hard points to pull her back onto the road on a rare occasion....
Well, I admit I may have introduced the term “off road” when I was actually referring to what YOU wrote regarding the lack of tow-hooks, which are something I associated with 4WD/Off-road vehicles, a feature you clearly were referencing when you posted as part of the vehicle.
After all, YOU posted the vehicle was needful of being pulled back up onto the “road”.
I’m still amused you’d buy a vehicle without tow hooks when you were predisposed to believe it should have them.
With the purchase of the wife's Jeep Cherokee "LIMITED" two winters ago and the realization that if you don't buy a freaking "Trailhawk" you don't get Tow Cleats/Hooks, I have had to rethink what to keep on the Kubota to pull her and the neighbors out of the snowbanks and ditches.

I have never owned a 4 wheel drive that didn't have tow points to pull the damn thing out before. Yea Jeep :p

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Yeah! That was my post. Glad it helped, they are useful. Lots of newer vehicles are hard to recover without a lot of great places to attach to.

One thing I'll say about the new Cherokee is they give you a lot of features...

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Yeah! That was my post. Glad it helped, they are useful. Lots of newer vehicles are hard to recover without a lot of great places to attach to.

One thing I'll say about the new Cherokee is they give you a lot of features...
Yeah she likes all the gadgets
They do really well on most stuff, but up here come spring we can get a few inches of snow then rain that leaves the road bed a mess.
You get crossways in the ruts and it will suck you in

The worst part is all the damn plastic fascias no matter what you are using the Strap needs to be basically hugging the ground or that stuff starts breaking fast

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
Can I bring this back to the OP's question?

How can we safely attach [tow straps, chains, J hooks] to our orange tractor?

In my case, an MX series.

To the draw bar?

To the bucket or front loader?

To the rear axle/frame?

My application is skidding logs using a steel cable choker. Where do I safely connect the choker to the tractor to pull the (>1,000lb log)?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

To the draw bar?

To the rear axle/frame?

My application is skidding logs using a steel cable choker. Where do I safely connect the choker to the tractor to pull the (>1,000lb log)?
Gssixgun started the thread. Can he hijack his own thread? I'm confused!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

To the draw bar?

To the rear axle/frame?

Shackle through the drawbar hole if you can find a pin to fit the hole. Otherwise, remove the drawbar and use a large shackle in the square mount.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

To the draw bar?

To the rear axle/frame?

For most applications you should be using your drawbar to move heavy loads. You should use the correctly sized clevis or shackle inorder to attach a chain, strap or cable. Make sure the chain, strap or cable are large enough to handle the load.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The OP's Question was on tow straps to his wife's jeep... So your a little off subject. ;)

Only real safe attaching location for skidding as all others have said is the drawbar or a three point skidding winch. ;)

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Skidding logs

I figured out a slick trick last year, maybe I saw it someplace
I ran a short chain between the lift arms under the log wrap it around to Cinch it off so it is tight
When I lift the arms it lifts the end of the log
This allows for me to skid the log without the end digging into everything

Seems to work pretty easy

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

To the draw bar?

To the rear axle/frame?

Of course you can. Just keep the tow strap/chain/etc connected to the tractor as low as possible so a log that snags won’t flip your tractor over on you. The draw-bar is good. The FEL ...depends.... keep it lower than the axles where the strap is attached.