V1305 Engine rebuild

tweenerusa

Equipment
diesel v1305
Jan 24, 2020
Ardmore, tn
I recently had my v1305 diesel engine rebuilt. It was a pre 1997 model and aftermarket parts were used in the rebuild as no one could look up the old serial number to find if Kubata even had rebuild parts. I was also told that this pre 1997 engine could not be rebuilt after the failure. After sixty hours of operation the number one cylinder came apart at the wrist pin. After tearing the engine down it was found that besides other obvious problems with the ring fits and such the connecting rod had been installed on the number one cylinder with the stamped numbers opposite to the injector side of the engine in direct conflict to the shop manual instructions. My question is does anyone have any direct engineering reason for the failure solely based on the inadvertent reversal of the rod? The wrist pin and bearing in the rod on the wrist end looked to have been oil starved. The piston head was correctly oriented for the valve reliefs.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I recently had my v1305 diesel engine rebuilt. It was a pre 1997 model and aftermarket parts were used in the rebuild as no one could look up the old serial number to find if Kubata even had rebuild parts. I was also told that this pre 1997 engine could not be rebuilt after the failure. After sixty hours of operation the number one cylinder came apart at the wrist pin. After tearing the engine down it was found that besides other obvious problems with the ring fits and such the connecting rod had been installed on the number one cylinder with the stamped numbers opposite to the injector side of the engine in direct conflict to the shop manual instructions. My question is does anyone have any direct engineering reason for the failure solely based on the inadvertent reversal of the rod? The wrist pin and bearing in the rod on the wrist end looked to have been oil starved. The piston head was correctly oriented for the valve reliefs.
You could have gotten OEM parts if you wanted to, just more research is required.
If someone is telling you it can't be done they are full of something, and it isn't knowledge!

I've rebuilt and repaired quite a few old Kubota engines much older than 1997, and I haven't had one fail yet because of the rebuild.

You can rebuild any engine, year doesn't disqualify it in any way.

If the engine failed after 6 hours, yea something got installed wrong, or a flawed or failing part was used.

If original rods were used and there was a fault in the rod, and certainly putting it in backwards (changes direction of design and years of common stress direction) can cause a failure.

I don't get this part of your statement

After tearing the engine down it was found that besides other obvious problems with the ring fits and such
So there were more issues than just the connecting rod put in backwards?

Trying to find or determine a failure of a rebuild is much easier when there is only one failure factor, not several.

It's too hard for any of us to determine why it failed because we didn't do the rebuild and don't know what other steps or procedures that might have also not been done correctly, like alinement of parts, cleanliness of parts, proper installation of such parts, and so on.

tweenerusa

Equipment
diesel v1305
Jan 24, 2020
Ardmore, tn
Thanks for the response. There appeared to be no other identifiable causes than the rod in backwards. The engine had 60 hours of run time at 2300 rpm or less. Before I identified the rod was in backwards it appeared the wrist pin broke after the bearing in the wrist completely disappeared on the side closest to number 2 cylinder. Looked like little or no oil in the wrist. Just wondered if oil flow would be affected by putting rod in backwards. Seems there must of been a reason for the reassembly instructions to say stamped side to the injector side of the engine. All other rods assembled correctly. I did not do the rebuild but the rebuild kit came with new rods and pistons and I do not know if they were used. If anyone knows if Kubota rods have special markings I could check to see if aftermarket parts from the kit were used.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it tossed the wrist pin bearing in that short of a time, then something wasn't set up correctly.
I've seen them bad and they take years to disintegrate.

On most kits the wrist pin bearing comes without a outlet a hole for oil to get to it it's only splash fed not pressure feed, you must drill the hole after installing the bearing in the connecting rod.

Pull another apart another and see if that was done on the others.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
One area that I have seen problems with installing the main bearing housings backwards. This will starve the rod bearing of oil. Not sure that it would cause problems for the wrist pin. You may want to be sure those are facing the right direction in the block.
Good Luck Lance

tweenerusa

Equipment
diesel v1305
Jan 24, 2020
Ardmore, tn
Oil hole was present in the wrist bearing in all of the cylinders even number one cylinder. In the number one wrist the bearing oil hole was not centered over the oil hole in the wrist. It was about half covered but can not determine if that was the way it was installed or the bearing spun some causing the blockage.