coolant leak

tntractor

Equipment
engine
Jan 23, 2020
Macedon ny,
After replacing the head and gasket on a 1502 engine, the coolant leaks right down into the crankcase. There is a hose attached to the water jacket for the coolant heater, and the coolant has drained out that low in the block. I am wondering where the leak might be. Is it repairable or does this mean getting a different block? Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
After replacing the head and gasket on a 1502 engine, the coolant leaks right down into the crankcase. There is a hose attached to the water jacket for the coolant heater, and the coolant has drained out that low in the block. I am wondering where the leak might be. Is it repairable or does this mean getting a different block? Thanks.
Little confused...
Why was the head and head gasket changed?
Was there coolant leaking into the block before the change?

tntractor

Equipment
engine
Jan 23, 2020
Macedon ny,
neighbor brought it over to have head gasket changed. but, the head had several cracks, so I got a reconditioned head and a gasket set. The bores do not look bad.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Did the neighbor describe WHY his gasket was leaking? ...for example, did he inform you about the time he overheated it?

When you replaced the head, did you check the block and head surface straightness? Use a new head gasket? Torque it properly?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
neighbor brought it over to have head gasket changed. but, the head had several cracks, so I got a reconditioned head and a gasket set. The bores do not look bad.
Like GeoHorn said, did you checked the block for flatness as a very overheated engine can distort the block.
But even with that the chances of getting coolant in the oil is very rare.

Now why did it overheat? One possibility could be that there is a freeze plug under the front gear case and that could have rotted out or popped out from a freeze condition and that is why you're getting coolant in the oil.

There is very little chance of anything else causing the issue as Kubota blocks have very little possibility for a cracked block.

One far fetched possibility is someone has changed a freeze plug or more commonly installed a block heater and drilled through the block when doing so.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
From what I could find, there is an o ring that goes between the head and block. Could you have missed installing that?
That O-ring missing won't normaly put coolant in the oil, but it will normally just put oil on the ground! :D :p :(

tntractor

Equipment
engine
Jan 23, 2020
Macedon ny,
The head is fresh from a machine shop so I assume all OK. I did not put the head on the block, it was on when I went to work on it. Son said that he put the O ring in place with head gasket.

Somebody mentioned a soft plug. Is there any chance that a picture of it and its placement can be uploaded.

The farm from which this loader came from is noted for not having gauges that work. I assume it was overheated.

I was thinking that a picture from a parts book would help.

Last edited: