Lap Log

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I lift logs with the loader all the time, however I would never, ever, put one in or over the bucket. I put ratchet straps over the bucket and around the log so that the log hangs beneath the loader bucket.

I do this mostly for sawmill operations, which involve raising the log to wash it, and then lifting it onto the mill, which stand about 15" above ground.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've moved hundreds of round bales weight well over 1000# and I've never have a bale over 5' off the ground, unless it goes on the second row on a trailer. And it does not get lifted that high until I'm at the trailer, and only to clear the bottom bale. 5' will easily set a bale on a trailer or over the top of a bale ring. Also, the bale spike is in the end of the bale so no way it can roll back on the operator.

I don't know first hand, but I'd guess farmers raise the bale when they get to a gate, or going thru and area with cattle to see better. Maybe they stop to open/close the gate and the hyd either fail and it falls on them, or the hyds bleed off and the bale spike tips down and the bale come off. I don't know, but it happens.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always moving and loading round bales, it is my business after all. I have never picked up a round with a bucket, always with a bucket spear and usually with a round bale on the three point in back as well.

rgk66

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
Having to load logs onto a flat trailer and stacking to max lift of my BX I made some log anti-rollback brackets . They are 3 x 3 angle iron and bolted to the side of the bucket with the fork mounting bolts (1/2 inch grade 8). I made the forks from old plow beams (they fit the bucket curve perfect).
The anti roll brackets kept the logs on the forks (plus slightly tilting the bucket forward as lifting) - main thing is to NEVER look away, get distracted or be overconfident, slow and steady is much safer.

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I wonder how long before he stops bolting up in bed in a cold sweat reliving that one in a bad dream.:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Rgk66, that is amazing you found 50 year old plow beams that fit as if they were made for the project. Painted orange and folks would never know they are repurposed steel, and want to know where you ordered them! Nice job.

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
This is one of the reason I went with a commercial TLB unit with the 4 posts ROPS.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
A local woman died a few years back while using a FEL to feed round bales to cows. They found her with a bale on top of her, the tractor still running in reverse stuck up against a hay stack.
The tractor had the detents that would latch the hydraulic levers. They think she was looking backwards while reversing and didn't realize the bale was raising.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Sad results of operating a tractor.

I can see where eventually anyone purchasing any machine (like a tractor) will be to go thru an operators training class and sign off when finished declaring they paid attention, didn't sleep during the sessions and understand the functions of the tractor and how to safely operate it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ...
I can see where eventually anyone purchasing any machine (like a tractor) will be to go thru an operators training class and sign off when finished declaring they paid attention, didn't sleep during the sessions and understand the functions of the tractor and how to safely operate it.

too bad 'they' don't mandate that for CARS !!!:(

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s so easy to ridicule someone with the moniker “stupid” when one sees something we believe is so obvious. But “ignorance” abound in ALL of us when we’re inexperienced, and there’s often no clues to tell us how ignorant we are.

It’s probably a good idea for all new tractor owners to get some safety training before operating them. The available videos (and enthusiastic salesmen familiarity-interviews) are usually just more sales-hype. Even Messicks videos which demonstrate the capabilities of various models do not mention safety of operation.

When I was a city-mouse moving to the country, my early experience with a front end loader included round-bale delivery for the aging ranch-owner whose tractor I was using. He happened by at the moment I was exploring the capabilities of the FEL by lifting that round-bale up about 12’ in the air. I had NO IDEA of the geometry involved if I’d only turned the steering wheel a little-bit. It easily could have rolled the tractor over on me (and that older JD had no ROPS.).

It wasn’t STUPIDITY, it was IGNORANCE.
Not long-after, the local news carried a story of a grandmother who went to bring lunch to her 12-year old grandson who was happy to come out from the city and get to drive her 8N Ford tractor and shred the pasture.
Yep. It was a horrible sight to find him as a bloody piece of meat still spinning on the PTO drive-shaft.
It would be a wise thing for sellers of equipment to determine minimum operational-safety instructions are signed-off by buyers. To limit liability, gov’t authorities would do sellers and buyers a huge favor to specify the minimum training necessary so that sellers couldn’t be accused of missing the minimums and buyers could be assured of receiving the same. IMO

Meanwhile, this brings to my mind the need for me to consider what I need to do whenever I get rid of ANY equipment in the future which don’t require some form of operator licensing.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I do not agree with government intervention in any of this stuff. Aren't you supposed to be responsible for yourself. The owners manuals explain lots of things including the safety factors. Read it. Have you read the owners manual for your tractor and the equipment to go with it? I am guessing not. Ballast the tractor properly for the equipment you are using? Put the seat belt on every time you use it? Do not operate under influence of alcohol? Do not modify the safety switches? Wrongful death suits do not look at the responsibility of the people involved just look for deep pockets. Buck up people and take responsibility for yourself, lest you wish to make headlines.
After the headlines someone else cleans up the mess. Ya gotta learn to look out for yourself.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I actually did read all of the manuals that came with my tractor. Read manuals for all my power equipment too, chainsaws, trimmer, pressure washer, leaf blower...

Of those the chainsaw is the most dangerous, always use chaps, glasses, ear muffs, gloves, heavy steel toes..

nothing bad happened so far. Don’t think the leaf blower can get me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:... Don’t think the leaf blower can get me.

It'll destroy your ears......

Ask anyone with 24/7 tinnitus ( ringing in the ears ) !!!

1) it's always there...never to have a peaceful, quiet moment

2) even if you go deaf !!!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
2) even if you go deaf !!!
About 20 years ago, I woke up one morning with a little vertigo and a loud ringing in my left ear. The vertigo passed in a few hours, but the ringing persisted, so I went to see an audiologist. He couldn't see anything visually wrong with the ear, so did a hearing test, then ordered an MRI. The MRI showed nothing, and the audiologist said sudden hearing loss just happens occasionally, and it may resolve itself and it may not. It never did. So while I am profoundly deaf in that ear, I have a loud rushing/ringing/white noise sound in the left ear constantly.
Amazingly, after a while your brain kind of ignores it unless you think about it, like right now.
Big thing is going to sleep with the ringing. I almost always go to sleep with either a radio or TV on to help mask the noise. Fortunately, I live alone, so a spouse doesn't have to put up with it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On reading manuals:

Not sure what the mechanism is here, but my FIL & MIL (90 & 89) absolutely REFUSE to read manuals for anything, under any conditions. I have heard the same from others with folks that age.

My generation seems to read and understand every manual & bit of info they can get their hands on.

Millennials also REfUSE to read manuals for anything under any conditions.

Weird.