Barn Fire-Bad Day

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
As many of you know I am a fireman and have been for 33 years.

A first occurred a few weeks ago when my neighbor called me and asked was I home. I said no, on the way home from church. He followed with the barn is on fire, I said how bad and he said coming out the roof. I'll be right there and said if safe pull out some of the equipment which he did.

My heart sank when I was a few miles from the house and could see a dark brown smoke column, I prepared for the worst.

My own department and 2 others responded and contained the fire to the main barn no extension to my shelters.

My guys did a great job, leaving me something to work with which is underway.

Due to the tin around all sides the heat inside was intense and melted and burned most of my stuff but the structure is still sound.

In the process of cleaning it out and starting the rebuild.

I'm thankful for all those who have offered to help in the process it is very humbling.

Ill add some pics as the process gets more underway.

Have a great day and count our blessings.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Sad day for sure. I can still remember comeing home when I was only 7 years old to see our house burnt to the ground. Got so sick, I almost thru up.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am sorry to read about the fire. I hope that there weren't any animals or people hurt.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So sorry,, my worst nightmare is a barn fire. Fingers crossed you can rebuild ok.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Wishing you are able to get back on your feet again and that your rebuild goes smoothly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So sorry to hear! :(

I had a couple bad run ins with fire and explosions over the years, never easy to deal with!

Do you know the cause?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you will be able to quickly rebuild/replace items lost

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Any insurance on the place?

We had a small fire... we didn't know any better so we hired one of the "Restore" companies that our insurance guy said was "good". BIG mistake, they milked the insurance company for 3 times the estimate... Took forever to get things started and took even longer to finish things up.

House across the street, their plumbing backup last Thanksgiving... they still have work trucks there this week "fixing" the problem. Again, they did not start working on it until about a month ago...

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Answers to a few questions.

The cause was accidental as determined by the private investigator sent by the insurance company.

No animals, people or fireman sustained any injuries.

The process is moving along slowly, piece by piece I'm removing my stuff and either cleaning it or to the dumpster depending on condition.

My workshop was in there many of those tools melted, turned black, or suffered damage from the water used to extinguish the fire.

Most all hunting clothes destroyed, same size for last 30 years so bummer had a lot.

I'm lucky I still have a sound structure to work with and friends to lend a hand.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
sorry to hear..... maybe the heat burned up everything that had a hint of corona on it... might have saved your life:confused:

yaaa never know.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Sorry to hear about that happening, and hopefully there wasn't anything in there that is irreplaceable.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have wondered about using a tumbler to clean up some old tools. Mix a little oil with some sand and polishing them back up.

Sorry for your troubles. But it seams like the plumbers sink leaks and the lawn care guy needs to mow his own yard and and the fireman......

Wish I could help you more.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Sorry to hear about that happening, and hopefully there wasn't anything in there that is irreplaceable.
In the end I was very lucky to have left what I have.

I did lose some things that can't be replaced but that will be fine too.

Lost thousand of baseball cards most from the 80's, my book when I was a baby and hair from my first hair cut and my report cards. Thought it be fun to sit and compare with my daughter as you went through school may be a blessing:):):) they are gone.

Portrait of my great grandfather which was neat. Looked as if his eyes followed you around as you walked around, creepy.....

A planter my dad bought I used every year to plant garden, no big deal but it did give me the feeling he was there with me doing what he loved as he passed years ago.

Again, minor things in the grand scope of life.

I do thank you all for the kind remarks and comments.

Jay

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah its only stuff,,, but it is amazing how much of that "stuff" means a lot to your soul

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Yeah its only stuff,,, but it is amazing how much of that "stuff" means a lot to your soul
Yes Skeets is right, we cleaned out some of our mothers sewing room. She passed away last Sept. We found a cloth doll she had made for one of my brothers Granddaughters with a note written on back saying to the great granddaughter from G.G. My sister sent it to the little girl who considers it precious. Hope you get what you can back together. Its a Blessing to have you all safe.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Been about 4 months since I started working on my barn that burned.

On my 4th dumpster and many hours of demo work.

The big sliding door is gone was tired of pushing and pulling on it, Katie was a big help removing it.

Inside all demo done, pressure washed and lights on, finally!

Many tools had to be tossed but amazing to me a lot still work, every Dewalt tool still works. They smell like smoke when you use them but still work.

One piece of tin left and it is dried in, this week hopefully. Lot of rain here last couple weeks so that has hindered me and well I work a full time job so nights and weekend warrior.

Coming along nicely and very little too no smoke smell noticed on the structure. Tools on the other hand still smell.

I'll post some more pics as it develops.

Jay
Barn Before-1.jpg