B2910 and Fuel Filter Change

Cumbres

Equipment
B2910
Jun 4, 2019
Andale, KS
So a question. I went to change the fuel filter on my B2910. The manual says as long as the fuel level is less then half that you can pull the fuel filter canister and it should not leak. I have done it before and had no problems. This time I had significant fuel flow even though the manual said it shouldn't. does anyone know if there is a simple fix for this? I looked for a manual fuel cutoff switch to install but didn't find one yesterday at the auto parts store.

Thanks!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
There should be a fuel shutoff. If not, put a clamp on the soft fuel line before the filter. Clamp it just enough to stop fuel flow.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
There should be a fuel shutoff. If not, put a clamp on the soft fuel line before the filter. Clamp it just enough to stop fuel flow.
Rentthis has the answer, but curious why you are changing the fuel filter. Seems like you indicate this is not the first time.

I did change the fuel filter in my B2910 once over ten years ago, and that was after buying dirty off road fuel I am certain. After changing where I get my fuel I have not have had an issue since, in either of my tractors.

I concluded that in my case I would change the fuel filter only if there appeared to be a need, and do have a spare on hand, but have never needed it in actually probably 13 years...and probably 1500 or more hours on the B2910 since last changed.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
The fuel shutoff is built into the filter. When I changed my fuel filter, I ran the tank down to about 1/4 tank. When unscrewing the filter, fuel was flowing for a short time, but shut off before the bowl was removed. When reinstalling, you get the bowl started, then the fuel turns back on to remove the air.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
There is probably something stuck in the shut off valve in the filter base. As you are unscrewing the filter, a little spring closes the valve stopping fuel flow into the filter. If a little piece of something gets caught in there, it won’t close allowing the fuel to keep flowing. Best thing to do is to pinch off the fuel line and remove the filter base and clean it up good. If there is something caught in it, fuel flow could eventually become reduced resulting in a poor running tractor.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rentthis has the answer, but curious why you are changing the fuel filter. Seems like you indicate this is not the first time.

I did change the fuel filter in my B2910 once over ten years ago, and that was after buying dirty off road fuel I am certain. After changing where I get my fuel I have not have had an issue since, in either of my tractors.

I concluded that in my case I would change the fuel filter only if there appeared to be a need, and do have a spare on hand, but have never needed it in actually probably 13 years...and probably 1500 or more hours on the B2910 since last changed.
Don’t know about the B2910 but my M4700 Maintenance Schedule calls for cleaning the fuel filter every 100 hrs and replacing it every 400 hrs.
It’s the owner’s decision as to whether or not to comply with those recommendations, of course.

When I did mine, the fuel shut-off valve/lever on the filter assy did not do it’s job. It made a mess, so I disconnected the inlet hose and took it apart.
With 500 hrs on the tractor, some previous person had apparently taken the thing apart before me.
The shut-off valve was mis-assembled with a spring-washer/shim improperly positioned. (There is no instruction manual for this detail but it was obvious when I examined it that it had been taken apart previously and put back together in the wrong sequence.)
I assembled it as I thought proper, and used JB Weld to seal the (leaking) exit-elbow that was only a press-fit by the factory.
Now the shut-off valve works properly and the filter-assy no longer leaks. :p

Cumbres

Equipment
B2910
Jun 4, 2019
Andale, KS
Thanks everyone for the info. This filter has about 350 hrs on it so decided it was time to change it. figure that a filter is cheaper then it not running when I need it to and to protect the rest of the fuel system.

When I took the cup off of it I found that there was a spring loaded plastic part sticking down. But moving it up and down did not change the fuel flow at all.

The good part is that I know for a fact that there is absolutely no fuel flow restrictions in the system to the filter. It poured out.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thinking about it, it is probably wise to change the fuel filter periodically.

I was thinking that it would clog up like last time, and would become apparent when it needed changed, and that it is a simple thing to do if you have one on hand, so why not just wait until there is an issue.

Now I am second guessing myself. What if the filter actually failed? Somehow developed a hole so that the fuel was not filtered at all? Thinking now that this would allow debris (if it were in the system) to flow into the injector pump/injectors. Probably not a good thing.

So I will likely be changing my fuel filter soon. :)

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Amazon 2 for $5.

LDEXIN 2pcs Brass Inline Water Oil Air Petrol Gas 8mm/0.31" Hose Barb Control Ball Valve Fuel Line Shutoff Handle Fuel Line Valve