B1700 HSD - irregular cranking.

GHGoodwin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'94 B1700HSD
Mar 30, 2020
Aurora, Ohio
New to this forum so excuse me if this is somewhere that can be searched.

1994 B1700 HSD. 6500 hrs. Irregular turn over when trying to start. Turn key - click, or starts right up - or several (most is 5 or 6) clicks then starts like a champ. I've tested and reset all the lockouts. Inspected and cleaned the battery connections. Removed and cleaned the starter shaft and solenoid internals.

New ignition switch is in the works.

Any other ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's more likely that it's a bad or mal adjusted safety switch than it is the main ignition switch.
There are three or four safety switches, HST pedal linkage (most common fail point) Clutch pedal, PTO lever or linkage and on some the seat.

You can get the WSM (AKA Service Manual) off kubotabooks.com it will tell you how to check and adjust all the safety switches.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not on my tractor, but I’ve had the exact same symptom with a failing starter-solenoid.

GHGoodwin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'94 B1700HSD
Mar 30, 2020
Aurora, Ohio
Geo - Anyhwere I can get just the solenoid? I'm still new at this so darn stupid questions may arise.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you turn the key to start and hear the solenoid click it is activating. If the contacts are dirty or burned internally it may not put power to the starter. You can get a replacement from your Kubota dealer but you can probably get one from NAPA or most auto parts stores as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo - Anyhwere I can get just the solenoid? I'm still new at this so darn stupid questions may arise.
If you turn the key to start and hear the solenoid click it is activating. If the contacts are dirty or burned internally it may not put power to the starter. You can get a replacement from your Kubota dealer but you can probably get one from NAPA or most auto parts stores as well.
There ya’ go.

GHGoodwin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'94 B1700HSD
Mar 30, 2020
Aurora, Ohio
No open auto stores around here - CV19.

Dealer asks $137 for solenoid. Amazon has relay for $35. Relay is on order.

THNX guys

Stay safe.

Hal

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No open auto stores around here - CV19.

Dealer asks $137 for solenoid. Amazon has relay for $35. Relay is on order.

THNX guys

Stay safe.

Hal
A relay won't fix it if:
One; if it's not getting power to the starter solenoid circuit.
Two; if it does have a bad solenoid, it's not like the relay eliminates the solenoid.

GHGoodwin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'94 B1700HSD
Mar 30, 2020
Aurora, Ohio
rentthis - New cables will be installed as part of winch project. i'll check all grounds then.

North - The relay will only circumvent the solenoids internal starter contacts. Roadworthy advised that if the relay was clicking it was activating.

Right now I'm putting up with the irregular start. If I believe UPS and Prime the last of the parts for both this problem and my winch should be here by Friday.

In the meantime this'll keep me occupied. Redbird need a new alternator. I'm upgrading to a Denso but need to make an adapter plate, drill/tap a few holes in the Denso, and do a bit of wiring. Redbird's a 2012 with around 85,000km on her.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North - The relay will only circumvent the solenoids internal starter contacts. Roadworthy advised that if the relay was clicking it was activating.
Adding a relay will not make a dead solenoid magicly work.
The solenoid on the starter does far more than just make an electrical contact happen.

But doesn't sound like you want to hear it, so I'll bid you adieu and a good day. ;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
New to this forum so excuse me if this is somewhere that can be searched.

1994 B1700 HSD. 6500 hrs. Irregular turn over when trying to start. Turn key - click, or starts right up - or several (most is 5 or 6) clicks then starts like a champ. I've tested and reset all the lockouts. Inspected and cleaned the battery connections. Removed and cleaned the starter shaft and solenoid internals.

New ignition switch is in the works.

Any other ideas?
My B1750 started exhibiting the same symptoms last year.

Sometimes it will crank and sometimes it will not. Headlamps dim but do not go out. Classic symptoms of bad solenoid, starter, battery cables or connections.

Checked operation and adjustment of clutch switch which checked OK but it was a bit sticky so replaced it. No change.

Battery was old and tested marginal so I replaced it. No change but cranked much better once cranking.

New starter and solenoid was less than $75 on internet so replaced both. No change.

Had already visually inspected both battery cables and all connections and all looked good but sometimes corrosion in battery cables is not visible so replaced both with new Kubota cables. This was done last fall and it appeared that problem was solved until this week when I started it for the first time this year. Symptoms returned.

Getting frustrated now and am suspecting poor ground path between engine and transaxle assembly where ground cable attaches. Battery is beside seat on B1750. Have already verified good ground path between starter/solenoid and engine despite Kubota's use of gasket between starter and engine (why ?).

Hard to diagnose because problem is intermittent and infrequent, which has resulted in parts changing rather than proper diagnosis.

Plan to next run new ground cable between battery ground cable attachment point on transaxle and starter bolt at engine.

Yes, I suppose that key start switch could cause this but it's difficult to access so haven't yet inspected.

This is the very first issue that I have had with my 1750 (aside from a broken hydro return-to-neutral spring that failed last spring) since I bought it 27 years ago.

SDT

GHGoodwin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'94 B1700HSD
Mar 30, 2020
Aurora, Ohio
Relay solved the problem. Two day test with at least 50 starts. No problems.

FWIW - Idaho - new solenoid didn't solve it. Neither did new primary wires, grinding or sanding clean all contacts, new ignititon and lockout switches. Excessive resistance (current drain) is in the harness and connectors. Adieu girl. NGL.

THNX to the rest. Winch install went well. I'll be back.

Stay Safe.

Hal

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Relay solved the problem. Two day test with at least 50 starts. No problems.

FWIW - Idaho - new solenoid didn't solve it. Neither did new primary wires, grinding or sanding clean all contacts, new ignititon and lockout switches. Excessive resistance (current drain) is in the harness and connectors. Adieu girl. NGL.

THNX to the rest. Winch install went well. I'll be back.

Stay Safe.

Hal
GHGoodwin, do you have the part number for the relay handy? Chasing the same issue on my new to me B1700. Battery is new, starter/solenoid was replaced this week, all interlock switches verified operational (PTO, Transmission, clutch) Thanks

John

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
GHGoodwin, do you have the part number for the relay handy? Chasing the same issue on my new to me B1700. Battery is new, starter/solenoid was replaced this week, all interlock switches verified operational (PTO, Transmission, clutch) Thanks

John
Just an update on this,. Called my local dealer and on my B1700 there is no relay. From their experience they are looking at one of two things. The first is the positive battery cable and the second being the harness itself. Need to pull that center console off after I wrestle that roll pin out of the throttle handle so I can access that harness. But first I'll get on that power cable from the battery and check it out.