Bx2816 snow blower attachment chute clogging

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My thoughts are that it is a "safety" device, to keep you from putting your hand into the chute area to clear it. Should the chute and impeller get clogged with slush, it is possible that the impeller could turn suddenly when the clog was released, and if your hand / fingers are anywhere near the impeller, serious injury can occur. When I was an EMT on the rescue squad, we saw snow blower injuries frequently, and many were hand injuries. I always turn off the machine, before going anywhere near the snow blower. I also use a plastic shovel to clear any clogs. The tool to clear the chute is commonly called "Chute Clearing Tool" or "Snow Thrower Cleanout Tool". They range in price from $14 to $20 on average at your local small engine store.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Makes sense. My big Lucknow 84" rear mount would eat your hand / arm in a second. if you put it in there. I use a 2 x 4 when I have a clog. which is rare. Heavy, slushy snow gets bladed with the front blade. I only use the blower for the drifts. No, my blower don't have any sort of grate / screen in the chute.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I had a Bercomac blower on the front of my riding mower and rarely had an issue. Mower was just 18HP.

Now with the B2650 and front blower I had initial issues and it did seem to be the condition/type of snow. as stated by others, that wet slushy stuff just doesn't do well in a blower.

I also dislike that grate and especially with wet snow.

I have not even put on the blower this year, :(, no snow yet. i will be lubricating this year and experimenting with the grate.

Last year I tried covering the gap between the deflector and chute to minimize the loss of snow out that space, but no success. i will be playing with that, too.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
we call that grate a DARWIN INHIBIT DEVICE or ANTI LAWSUIT DEVICE
If youre the type to reach your hand down the chute of a snowblower while its running no grate is gonna prevent anything. Youre gonna darwin yourself sooner or later.

How would that even happen unless you disabled the seat PTO cutoff? I know blowers can turn under pressure and such but thats more of an issue with traditional blowers and not PTO driven ones, no?

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
generally no way for gear or chain drive to store energy by compression. however to be on the safe side, if I can't clear the snow with a tool I will just disengage the pto from tractor (easy with the front blower) then just make sure it turns freely before putting my hand in there.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
I checked this stuff out at our local Wal-Mart in Ogdensburg, New York, and the price is listed at 12.59, per can.
How long ago did you buy yours at 2.97 ?
If you click on the link, that is the current price. Just make sure your store is the correct location. It does sell from a 3rd party for 12.59. just be sure its available in your store

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased 2 cans at the $2.97 price today at Walmart in Worcester MA. I checked a bunch of other stores that I knew that I would be going by on my way into the city today, and Worcester was the only one with inventory.. They had 4 cans in stock. If I didn't have to make the trip into the city for a doctors appointment, it wouldn't have been worth the trip for just 2 cans. Almost 50 miles round trip. Bought on line, and picked up in the store a few hours later.