Bx2816 snow blower attachment chute clogging

Kendrix

Equipment
BX23S, Excavator, Loader, Snow Blowing
Apr 23, 2019
PA
First winter season using the bx2816 front end snow blower on my bx23s. The last couple snow falls yielded heavy slushy wet snow. I sprayed snow blower lubricant each time into the auger and chute, and this dang thing clogs easily with heavy wet snow. What are you using on your snow blower attachments in order to prevent the discharge chute from clogging?

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
First, remove the metal "projection" grate. This causes it to clog more than it doesn't. Second, continue using spray lube, spray augers and the whole box in addition to chute. Make sure you are running at PTO rpm or higher, going too slow will make it worse. Finally, you may be trying to go too fast forward speed. You need to give it a chance to clear.

Kendrix

Equipment
Apr 23, 2019
PA
First, remove the metal "projection" grate. This causes it to clog more than it doesn't. Second, continue using spray lube, spray augers and the whole box in addition to chute. Make sure you are running at PTO rpm or higher, going too slow will make it worse. Finally, you may be trying to go too fast forward speed. You need to give it a chance to clear.
atitus, I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to remove that dang "projection grate", but wanted to get some feedback on here. Thank you. I will be removing that thing asap.

have you heard what people use for lube spray? I have been using the snow blower lubricant, but I also noticed someone said to use fluid film??

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
First winter season using the bx2816 front end snow blower on my bx23s. The last couple snow falls yielded heavy slushy wet snow. I sprayed snow blower lubricant each time into the auger and chute, and this dang thing clogs easily with heavy wet snow. What are you using on your snow blower attachments in order to prevent the discharge chute from clogging?
what rpm are you running at?

generally slowing down ground speed and making sure you run rpm at full rated pto speeds should solve most problems like yours.

I have never had a blower come with a grate in the chute and last snowblower I bought new was just a few months ago (6610 Farm King.... https://www.farm-king.com/pages/product_allied_snowblower.php )

Kendrix

Equipment
Apr 23, 2019
PA

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
what rpm are you running at?

generally slowing down ground speed and making sure you run rpm at full rated pto speeds should solve most problems like yours.

I have never had a blower come with a grate in the chute and last snowblower I bought new was just a few months ago (6610 Farm King.... https://www.farm-king.com/pages/product_allied_snowblower.php )

My blower came with a grate.

It’s never plugged in 6 or 7 years, so haven’t removed it. It’s moved a lot of snow in that time.

The guys are giving good advice: RPM’s up, slow down.

PS - just read you’re at 2,500.
I would run at PTO RPM, which should be about 3,000 on your BX23S. The snowblower eats a lot more horsepower than most other implements , including a mid mount mower (MMM). Don’t think you can baby it snowblowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
My blower has the grate, 1st year I had it, clogged a couple times, then got some good advice - RPM at 3000 - 3200, also spray chute, augers, etc with fluid film and haven't had any issues since. I usually use a broom to clean the snow off when done blowing and spray with fluid film, that way its ready to go when needed.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I also use fluid film, but others have reported good results with other things like pam cooking spray.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I suspect that open section of the chute where that safety grate is located, allows a lot of the air flow to bleed out, reducing the amount of air carrying the snow out of the blower. On my 2750, I removed the grate and replaced it with sheet metal, held in place with bolts and wing nuts so it is easily removable. No plug ups since then.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I used to use a dry teflon spray for my snow blower chute.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
2500 rpms. That too low?
IMHO 2500 is lots.

I operate about 2,100 and in low (hst) and on occasion have to stop to let auger empty the auger housing and discharge chute if my ground speed loads up the auger chute faster than it can clear itself.

Cheers.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Quoting from the BX2816 snow blower manual.....

IMPORTANT: use full RPM power when removing wet, sticky snow. Low RPM power tend to clog the chute..
This is how I have been using my BX2750 on my BX22 for the last 15 years. Neither my tractor or my snow blower have ever suffered from being worked at full power. My tractor doesn't have a tachometer, so I have no idea of what the top RPM's are, however, it was set when new by Kubota, and I trust that they set the highest RPM's in a safe range for the engine.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
IMHO 2500 is lots.

I operate about 2,100 and in low (hst) and on occasion have to stop to let auger empty the auger housing and discharge chute if my ground speed loads up the auger chute faster than it can clear itself.

Cheers.
Hi boakley it doesn't say in your profile what tractor you have but quoting an RPM number alone isn't helpful. The engine rpm varies significantly between different size and model of tractors with respect to where the PTO is designed to operate at. On a BX tractor, this would be very low rpm.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I initally had some clogging in slushy snow. It is now 100% remedied. I did this:
  • Dumped the stupid chute grate...did no good and made any clearing of the chute impossible
  • RPMS: Get them up there to PTO range (I run even higher) as theres a downward spiral once you run out of RPMs on heavy load

Kendrix

Equipment
Apr 23, 2019
PA
I initally had some clogging in slushy snow. It is now 100% remedied. I did this:
  • Dumped the stupid chute grate...did no good and made any clearing of the chute impossible
  • RPMS: Get them up there to PTO range (I run even higher) as theres a downward spiral once you run out of RPMs on heavy load
Thank you and everyone else for their feedback. I removed the chute grate. I used snow blower teflon spray, but will use fluid film next.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
When I had the need for a snowblower :) I tried everything recommended already plus mold release as used in plastic injection molding. The best for me was the CRC Silicone spray. Works even better if you spray when completely dry of moisture. A couple of coats over a day or two of non-use works even better. Using this method you will not need to spray every day during frequent use. At least that's what worked for my WNY and Michigan snow.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Hi boakley it doesn't say in your profile what tractor you have but quoting an RPM number alone isn't helpful. The engine rpm varies significantly between different size and model of tractors with respect to where the PTO is designed to operate at. On a BX tractor, this would be very low rpm.
no troubles and great point... its a Kubota L3301 pushing a Farm King 6610 (66") 3pt snowblower which has the high capacity 4 blade fan.

I used to blow snow with my smaller B2620 and a 60" Farm King blower and both seem to have about the same pto rated speed at about 2600 rpm if I remember right but would need to look at the speedo's to be sure.

2100 on both seems to work fine for where I am even though the B2620 seems a little small for the 60" blower.

Snow type also makes a difference with very wet needing more rpm than the drier/colder snow.

Lots of variable for sure like grade, temp's, type tractor, whether blower is under/oversized for tractor......

before the DPF I always seemed to want to run closer to lugging than WOT. Now everything I do is about 2100 rpm and getting about 27hrs between regens. A little more often in winter than summer of course but very happy with the L's DPF performance as crossing fingers been trouble free so far. :)

blowing snow is one of my fav. use for tractors

Last edited:

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
I have a B2650 and I gave up on the blower at the end of last season for 2-4 inches of wet slushy snow for the same clogging issue. Added a b2775 plow the attaches to the snow blower mount.. using the plow on the slushy stuff and the blower over 4"

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have to ask, what is the purpose of the grate in the chute?