G5200 charging system and running a winch

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Would a G5200 be capable of running a 3000 lb winch for say 2 hours straight? I’m assuming it’d need at least medium throttle. This setup has a dynamo/ generator vs an alternator and I’m unsure if it’s capable of such loads.

I plan on hooking the winch to a tree and just powering it with the tractor. The tractor won’t be used for any pulling.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
electric winches take a large amount of current (Ampers) when pulling a load.

Read the specs on the unit you are considering. I have a very small 2T 12v winch that can draw more than 80 amps. It draws >10amps just reeling in the cable.

That number will be significantly larger than the output of the G series lights and battery charging capacity. And very likely larger than the wiring capacity of the tractor as well.

So, in reply, "not likely" .

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I use a 8000 lb winch to load cars, trucks, machines onto my gooseneck. I run it off of a marine deep cycle battery and can load 4-5 times without charging the battery. Perhaps you could fab a mount for the battery on the winch and use a plug in charger to keep it up as needed. Then there is nothing to damage the electrical system of the tractor. Might even put a solar charger on the marine battery. I have done this for over 8 years and I am on the second battery.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Would a G5200 be capable of running a 3000 lb winch for say 2 hours straight? I’m assuming it’d need at least medium throttle. This setup has a dynamo/ generator vs an alternator and I’m unsure if it’s capable of such loads.

I plan on hooking the winch to a tree and just powering it with the tractor. The tractor won’t be used for any pulling.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
No!!

The Kubota dynamo can produce a maximum of 10 amps. Some of that will be lost in the regulator/rectifier so you are going to be working with less than 10 amps.

A G5200 uses a 12 volt 35 amp hour battery. What this spec means is that under ideal conditions the battery can produce 35 amps for one hour. Shorter times using greater amps are possible.

No electric winch can run on such a system and to even try risks damaging your battery.

Dave

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It sounds to me as if you would be better off with:
*) a LARGE battery
*) Generator
*) Battery-charger

Another option:
I understand your desire to take advantage of the D600 diesel engine to act as powersource to keep a battery charged. It can run a lllooonnnggg time on that 2-gallon tank.

If you are 'handy', it would not be too much work to modify your G5200. The front of the engine is DESIGNED to be the PTO end. Normally, it uses double-belt to drive the mower-deck. Instead of driving the mower-deck, you could add a hi-current alternator with built-in regulator which is driven off the front pulley of the engine.

In ALL cases, you will need that LARGE BATTERY to act as a buffer to recharge between 'pulls'. It is the battery which does the "work" of supplying power to the winch. Between 'pulls', it can be recharged.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No 12 volt electric winch that I know of can run 2 hours continuously anyway. Most are 45 seconds pull, 15 minutes rest. Exceed the winch 'duty cycle'; and you either cause the thermal breaker on the winch to trip or you 'find the smoke' in the winch motor.....:eek:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thanks everyone. Glad I asked first.

It sounds to me as if you would be better off with:
*) a LARGE battery
*) Generator
*) Battery-charger

Another option:
I understand your desire to take advantage of the D600 diesel engine to act as powersource to keep a battery charged. It can run a lllooonnnggg time on that 2-gallon tank.

If you are 'handy', it would not be too much work to modify your G5200. The front of the engine is DESIGNED to be the PTO end. Normally, it uses double-belt to drive the mower-deck. Instead of driving the mower-deck, you could add a hi-current alternator with built-in regulator which is driven off the front pulley of the engine.

In ALL cases, you will need that LARGE BATTERY to act as a buffer to recharge between 'pulls'. It is the battery which does the "work" of supplying power to the winch. Between 'pulls', it can be recharged.
I have thought about something like this as well. Wheel Horse made a front mounted generator thing. No idea on the output, but same concept nonetheless.

For now, I’ll stick with a come along and good old fashion manual labor.