BX2200 starts in gear

Skip G

Equipment
FEL, 60" MMM, PTO pump Sprayer Tank
I recently had my Neutral Safety Switch replaced, the dealer ( Non Kubota ) changed the wiring in the plug because he couldn't get the tractor started.
The tractor now starts in gear, high or low, but not in neutral. I have gone through all combinations of wire placement in the plug, but none of the combinations seem to make the tractor start system work properly. The tractor will continue to run in neutral when I get off the seat, and turns off in gear when I get off the seat, which are both correct& seat safety switches are working properly.
I've been through the tractor looking for shorts and/ or broken wires but am not finding anything out of order.
Can it be solenoid, regulator or electronic module problem ?
Any help would be appreciated.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
my bx1860 will start in gear and in neutral, will run off seat in gear, or in neutral, shuts down if you’re off seat with HST peddle off center by small amount. will not start with pro engaged, will shut down off seat with pto engaged. flop seat forward, will run with rear pto engaged, don’t remember I don’t think it will let front pto run with seat flipped forward, parking brake doesn’t affect any safety switches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I recently had my Neutral Safety Switch replaced, the dealer ( Non Kubota ) changed the wiring in the plug because he couldn't get the tractor started.
The tractor now starts in gear, high or low, but not in neutral. I have gone through all combinations of wire placement in the plug, but none of the combinations seem to make the tractor start system work properly. The tractor will continue to run in neutral when I get off the seat, and turns off in gear when I get off the seat, which are both correct& seat safety switches are working properly.
I've been through the tractor looking for shorts and/ or broken wires but am not finding anything out of order.
Can it be solenoid, regulator or electronic module problem ?
Any help would be appreciated.
What switch are you moving wires around on? The neutral switches in a BX2200 just have two wires, it doesn't matter which way they go. Here is a wiring diagram for it.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
What switch are you moving wires around on? The neutral switches in a BX2200 just have two wires, it doesn't matter which way they go. Here is a wiring diagram for it.
Check the switch to make sure it has continuity when depressed and doesn't when released, you might have the wrong switch.

Skip G

Equipment
The tractor is a 2004 BX2200
I am moving the 4 wires in the neutral safety switch, which is a split switch and yes it has continuity where it should with plunger depressed.
It has 2 seat switches, which are also working properly.
This tractor has never started in gear since I've owned it new, and it shouldn't.
It now starts in gear, but not neutral, I believe it should only start in neutral and only stay running in neutral if you're off the seat.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The tractor is a 2004 BX2200
I am moving the 4 wires in the neutral safety switch, which is a split switch and yes it has continuity where it should with plunger depressed.
It has 2 seat switches, which are also working properly.
This tractor has never started in gear since I've owned it new, and it shouldn't.
It now starts in gear, but not neutral, I believe it should only start in neutral and only stay running in neutral if you're off the seat.
No, it shouldn't start in gear. BX tractors starting with the 50 series will start in gear because they use a HST pedal switch instead of a gear switch. Your wiring should be like the BX2230 that I posted if you have seat switches

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I THINK its working correctly. My BX2370 will start in gear, and always has. If I remember correctly my previous BX2200 would also. It won't start with the PTP engaged.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I THINK its working correctly. My BX2370 will start in gear, and always has. If I remember correctly my previous BX2200 would also. It won't start with the PTP engaged.
No, the BX2200 needs to be in neutral to start.

Skip G

Equipment
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't remember this tractor ever being able to start in anything but neutral, and now itonly starts in gear. I wouldn't think Kubota would allow a safety hazard like that. Sure, the HST pedal in neutral would keep it from moving, but still doesn't seem right to me, especially since I've been starting it in neutral for nearly 15 years.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't remember this tractor ever being able to start in anything but neutral, and now itonly starts in gear. I wouldn't think Kubota would allow a safety hazard like that. Sure, the HST pedal in neutral would keep it from moving, but still doesn't seem right to me, especially since I've been starting it in neutral for nearly 15 years.
So it starts when the switch isn't depressed and won't start if it is? if it is a 4 terminal switch it has two sets of contacts. one set will be closed when the other set is open. The wires that go from the switch to the starter must be connected to the set that is closed when the switch is depressed.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Same tractor was discussed in the other forum.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...9664-bx2200-neutral-safety-switch-wiring.html

What does not make sense to me is that the WSM wiring diagram for a BX2200 only shows safety switches (3) with two wires. All switches are in series.

Photo posted by owner shows a double yellow wire on the 4 terminal plug but the wiring diagram does not have any pure yellow wires.

Either the WSM does not represent his version of a BX2200 or........

Dave

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Same tractor was discussed in the other forum.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...9664-bx2200-neutral-safety-switch-wiring.html

What does not make sense to me is that the WSM wiring diagram for a BX2200 only shows safety switches (3) with two wires. All switches are in series.

Photo posted by owner shows a double yellow wire on the 4 terminal plug but the wiring diagram does not have any pure yellow wires.

Either the WSM does not represent his version of a BX2200 or........

Dave
I have questions about that too! My manual shows 2 wire switches for the neutral switches. I checked with Kubota and there are no other WSM's for that tractor

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have questions about that too! My manual shows 2 wire switches for the neutral switches. I checked with Kubota and there are no other WSM's for that tractor
I'm fairly convinced that it either is a BX2230 or a really late BX2200 that has BX2230 wiring, The black and white wires are the starter circuit wires... Do you have a BX2230 manual Dave?

Last edited:

Skip G

Equipment
It must be a very late BX2200, definitely not a 2230, and yes, the wiring diagram for the 2230 is the correct representation of the start circuit. It is all very confusing. I ran into another problem years ago ( don't remember what is was)
because wrong part was sent to me that was for earlier model of BX 2200.
The way I see it, the BW & Y wires are the hots, W & B are ground.
I'm going to experiment a bit more tomorrow. What I really need is for someone with this model of tractor to physically check the plug that goes into the Neutral Safety Switch and see where each wire is placed in the plug.
Appreciate all the help so far.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It must be a very late BX2200, definitely not a 2230, and yes, the wiring diagram for the 2230 is the correct representation of the start circuit. It is all very confusing. I ran into another problem years ago ( don't remember what is was)
because wrong part was sent to me that was for earlier model of BX 2200.
The way I see it, the BW & Y wires are the hots, W & B are ground.
I'm going to experiment a bit more tomorrow. What I really need is for someone with this model of tractor to physically check the plug that goes into the Neutral Safety Switch and see where each wire is placed in the plug.
Appreciate all the help so far.
None of them are grounds! The current flows from the key switch, through the PTO lever switch to the range lever switch that wire is black and white. the current goes from the BW wire to the white wire through the switch and on to the starter. Blue wire goes to the pto switch and to the rear PTO switch. Yellow wire goes to the seat switch and to the timer relay. BW wire should have power if PTO is in neutral. Blue wire should have power if the rear pto is selected, the seat is tipped up OR the PTO is engaged! Otherwise the blue wire shouldn't have power. ( Provided it IS the same as a BX2230!)

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
On your switch check continuity between the terminals. there should be two that have continuity with the switch depressed and the other two should have continuity with the switch undepressed. Connect the black and white and the white wire to the two terminals that have continuity when the switch is compressed and the blue and yellow wires to the other two terminals. ( wires labeled L are lavender on these tractors or blue to me!)