Turning a bad decision into a not-quite-as-bad decision

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
First off, thanks for the help I've gotten from this site so far! It's been a good resource to help get my Kubota back in action. Second, I don't know where to put this so I'm just throwing it here since this is a little beyond "service and maintenance".

A few months ago I picked up a used TG1860G for $500. It came with a TG2746A snowblower, TG2754 dozer blade, and RCK54TG deck. I knew it needed work before buying. The transmission was shot and although it moved under its own power, it jerked really bad and sometimes slipped. I said no problem, I'll rebuild it and have myself a nice machine for both summer and winter that can replace the craftsman mower and walk behind snowblower setup I had been using.

For starters, the transmission was toast. Gears broken, bushings snapped, metal everywhere. I did a full rebuild using about half new parts, totaling another $500. So $1000 isn't a bad deal for everything I got. Transmission was fixed, mower deck was cleaned up, sharpened the blades, couple new small pieces and I was able to mow my lawn.

Here is a video showing the assembly of the transmission. I was surprised how simply it was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlIFsQR7S2s

Now mowing season is done, it was time to service the snowblower. A couple pictures from the day I got it. A bit rusty, really dirty, and had to evict some hornets.

After getting it into the garage to service it I noticed quite a lot wrong with it. The rust was way worse than I originally thought, the impeller was dented to the point of probably not working, and the gearbox seals were leaking (it had almost no oil and lots of water inside).

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
(Next post for pictures)

I replaced the rusted out ramp on the snowblower. Cut it out, welded in a thicker 12ga plate, smoothed the weld out with some automotive filler, and then POR-15 and painted it.

The auger and impeller were also overhauled, replaced the three seals on the gearbox, sanded off the rust, straightened the impellers, and painted that too.

Last improvements were to add paddles to the impeller so it can squeegee the snow/water out of the impeller housing (used sidewall from an old ATV tire), and then add motor controls for the chute. It's not yet finished, but the chute up/down motor is attached and working (not yet wired).

After having to buy a couple more chassis pieces to get the snowblower fully attached to the tractor, I think I have about $1400 into it.

I'm hoping snow holds off for just a little longer so I can use my completed machine for the first time when it's all finished.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice rebuild job. Even though it was more work than you anticipated, I think you still made out well. Enjoy.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Good job dude! You should be proud of having the skills necessary to bring some neglected equipment back to life with some mechanical, metal working and painting skills.

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
Thank you! Just as I was appreciating the hard work paying off, I noticed I swapped the auger sides and it'll actually push the snow to the outside... At least it's not greased yet and shouldn't be messy taking it all apart again.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Nice job on bringing it back to life!

Keep in mind the augers need timed correctly, so the snow is delivered in a continuous manner to the fan. In the original picture they do not look correct. One needs to be rotated on the shaft 180 degrees.

During a rehab on a 62" blower I added extra zerk fitting to the augers and to the fan.

When greasing the augers it seemed the grease always came out one end and not the other. Having three total grease fittings per side allows a more even distribution of grease. Hopefully this will minimize water penetration from causing rust issues inside the auger.

Also discovered the fan could trap water inside creating corrosion issues on the shaft. Any increase in friction between the shaft and fan prevents the shear pin form functioning as designed. Having the ability to pump grease in there might prevent long term issues... At least that was my thought. (This unit did not originally have a grease fitting on the fan)

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I know nothing about snow blowers but extre grease zerks has to be a good idea for a piece of equipment that is used in a harsh wet environment and then sets for several months. Just my 2 cents worth.

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
The extra zerks would have been a good idea. I'll remember that the next time I take it all apart. I've already swapped the augers and it's ready to go.

I put the augers symmetrically mainly because that's how it was when I took them off, and how I've seen other TG2746 blowers setup. I'll probably rotate them if it's not blowing correctly, though.

I got the chute motor hooked up and working with the rocker switch on the panel. I'll have to use the manual turn control until the other motor arrives and I can hook that one up.

Chrisco

Equipment
TG1860G
Apr 20, 2020
Amherstburg
First off, thanks for the help I've gotten from this site so far! It's been a good resource to help get my Kubota back in action. Second, I don't know where to put this so I'm just throwing it here since this is a little beyond "service and maintenance".

A few months ago I picked up a used TG1860G for $500. It came with a TG2746A snowblower, TG2754 dozer blade, and RCK54TG deck. I knew it needed work before buying. The transmission was shot and although it moved under its own power, it jerked really bad and sometimes slipped. I said no problem, I'll rebuild it and have myself a nice machine for both summer and winter that can replace the craftsman mower and walk behind snowblower setup I had been using.

For starters, the transmission was toast. Gears broken, bushings snapped, metal everywhere. I did a full rebuild using about half new parts, totaling another $500. So $1000 isn't a bad deal for everything I got. Transmission was fixed, mower deck was cleaned up, sharpened the blades, couple new small pieces and I was able to mow my lawn.

Here is a video showing the assembly of the transmission. I was surprised how simply it was.

Now mowing season is done, it was time to service the snowblower. A couple pictures from the day I got it. A bit rusty, really dirty, and had to evict some hornets.

After getting it into the garage to service it I noticed quite a lot wrong with it. The rust was way worse than I originally thought, the impeller was dented to the point of probably not working, and the gearbox seals were leaking (it had almost no oil and lots of water inside).
The video you made was excellent. All rebuild and easy to follow.

Reactions: 1 user