PSA Check your Lug Nuts

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I had gotten complacent on checking my lug nuts after each use on my B3200 and it caught up with me this past weekend while cutting wood. During one of my water breaks, I glanced down at my rear wheel and though, man that nut looks loose and sure enough it was. I was able to freely spin it by hand. I hand tightened it up and headed back to the garage. Lucky for me only one nut on the rear was loose and all others were tight. Didn't take but a couple minutes to hit all with a torque wrench and verify they were snug. 110 ft/lbs rear and 70 ft/lbs front. Quick refill of my water and back out in the woods.

Take a moment as you go over your machines post work or after you top off fuel before heading out and check them nuts!

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
Good advice. I bought an L35 TLB and trailer as a package several years ago. Hooked up and headed out. About 30 miles down the road, one of the tandem wheels came off due to loose lug nuts; fortunately next to a boat dealer. Lesson learned.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I guess I better check mine. I did use loctite on the rears when I installed the spacers.
I used loctite to attach the spacers but did not use any on the wheel lugs themselves when bolting the wheels back on. Change my operational routine. Add fuel, check fluid levels, grease/lube as needed, check air filters/filter screens, start up, check lugs, inspect wheels/tires/air pressure, get on and go have fun

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Great service reminder. Now, here's another:

I have to admit that I misinterpreted the title of this thread. But since I'm here, I'll add the suggestion that you guys also have your PSA's checked so you can keep your lug nuts and keep tractoring along. :eek: Seriously, get it done.

OK, off my soap box. Carry on.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Good point dirtydeed, and you may get lucky and be able to have it checked with a blood test now vs the old one finger salute!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I used loctite to attach the spacers but did not use any on the wheel lugs themselves when bolting the wheels back on.....
Yeah I used it on the spacers then thought why not on the lug stems themselves? Unlike a car where you rotate the wheels, or my motorcycles where I'm always changing tires, there's no reason I know of not to put a drop of blue Loctite on the studs.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Great service reminder. Now, here's another:

I have to admit that I misinterpreted the title of this thread. But since I'm here, I'll add the suggestion that you guys also have your PSA's checked so you can keep your lug nuts and keep tractoring along. :eek: Seriously, get it done.

OK, off my soap box. Carry on.
Not much fun but, deep breath and relax, and its done.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Great advice...both. But as to the tractor lugs I had a front wheel fall of while bush hogging. Now I check constantly.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Good point dirtydeed, and you may get lucky and be able to have it checked with a blood test now vs the old one finger salute!

...had them all 2x. Biopsy was my least favorite :eek::(:(. Head in tomorrow for MRI. We'll see.

at least the lug nuts are tight, checked them this weekend. :D

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
All,
I know every case is different but, don't fear the finger! Been sufferin from old guy syndrome. Go all the time, etc. PSA test alone won't tell the whole story. Blood test, finger and biopsy needed for positive confirmation. My PSA was 4.0, finger negative, 9 of 12 biopsies positive, Gleason 7, 4+3 Had the surgery in June. Cancer was about to get out but, still in prostate. I got lucky in that regards, cancer free now. Trust me, you really don't want your plumbing reconfigured.