New BX Owner and 1st Cold Start

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a block heater in the engine of my BX22, and if I didn't, I would invest in a magnetic block heater, and put it on the engine when I knew that I was going to need to use the tractor. Most engine wear happens when they are cold, so for the slight inconvenience of having to remove the block heater after the tractor is started, it will go a long way to keeping your tractor happy in the winter.

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I have a block heater in the engine of my BX22, and if I didn't, I would invest in a magnetic block heater, and put it on the engine when I knew that I was going to need to use the tractor. Most engine wear happens when they are cold, so for the slight inconvenience of having to remove the block heater after the tractor is started, it will go a long way to keeping your tractor happy in the winter.
Where would the magnetic heater go? On the oil pan? How long would you leave it plugged in?

Thanks!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I keep my BX23s in the garage, i usually fire up my salamander heater and aim the heater over towards the tractor. Go back in the house, finish my coffee, I start the tractor, let it run 15/20mins, while i finish my second cup of coffee. By then the ole girl is ready to start plowing snow. Being that i live near the finger lakes region of NY, we can get alotta snow because of the lakes around my area. Its even worse when the winds pick up. I might have to plow 2 to 4 times in a day if the winds are blowing. It dosent even have to be snowing, if the winds are blowing, my driveway fills up instantly with very big drifts.

Now, what have noticed with this BX23s, it takes forever for the temp gauge to come up when its REALLY cold outside. The tractor even actually cools down if its really cold out while i`m plowing.

Oh yes, firm believer in POWER SERVICE additives. Stuff works! Never once id i ever have a starting problem while using it. First start, puff of black smoke, all good. Bring up the throttle a little.

Last edited:

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Better option than an magnet heater is to get the one that goes in the coolant line. When I lived in Alaska I had one on my little BX and it worked great.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Better option than an magnet heater is to get the one that goes in the coolant line. When I lived in Alaska I had one on my little BX and it worked great.
I tried that already, and while it probably would work well, the 1860 just isn't set-up to have one neatly installed. The lower radiator hose is super short and the one spot you can install it, when installed, rubs up against the oil filter and is basically in the way should you ever want to change your oil filter (which I do). In the end, I took this out and replaced the lower radiator hose. I don't understand why Kubota made the 1860 in such a way that a block heater couldn't be easily installed and used.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
I have an 1860 as well. In the winter, I'll heat the glow plugs for an additional "8 MISSISSIPPI", and it fires right up...and yes, I'll get a little white smoke as well.

Why 8 MISSISSIPPI, I don't know lol...just have always done that.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Mine is kept in an unheated garage in the winter and teens are usually about the lowest it gets here. I just give it a 6 count and it fires right up! Idle up a tad and I do let it warm up a good 15 minutes or so depending on weather before I get to work.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I have an 1860 as well. In the winter, I'll heat the glow plugs for an additional "8 MISSISSIPPI", and it fires right up...and yes, I'll get a little white smoke as well.

Why 8 MISSISSIPPI, I don't know lol...just have always done that.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. It's good to know there are other 1860 owners out there - so far, I'm loving this tractor. Getting ready to change the belt - not sure that it needs it, but since I'm not the original owner, I'd like to know that it has been done.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There is no doubt that the tractor will start if you hold the glow plugs on long enough, however, diesel engines don't like cold oil, and cold engines suffer from more wear than a warm engine. I have owned diesel engine cars since 1966, and I have seen how much both the fuel and oils have changed, however, the one thing that hasn't changed, is what they sound like when they are started cold.
If you go with a magnetic heater, you can place it anywhere on the engine that is convenient, as long as it makes good contact with the surface. Since I have a freeze plug block heater, I have never had a need for a magnetic block heater for my Kubota BX22. I made the assumption that the engine oil pan it steel, and that is where I would place the magnetic block heater, but if it is aluminum, then you will need to find another location. I know that they used to sell a heater that you inserted down the dip stick tube, but don't know if those are still available. In the early 1960's, when I was in school, and the temperatures got into the negative numbers, we would have to put a shovel of hot coal embers under the oil pan to warm the oil enough to start the car. You always wanted to make sure that there were no fuel leaks, and that the engine wasn't a greasy mess.
I also use a full synthetic oil in my Kubota, which greatly aids in reducing start up friction.
You have to do what you feel comfortable with since ultimately, you are responsible for your own tractor and its maintenance. If you feel that glowing the glow plugs for some extra time is ok for your cold engine, that is fine with me. I don't expect everyone to agree on the subject, I am just relaying my experience and views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmuHXQvXI8

Last edited:

Bill15kv

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 7, 2018
Vermont
Hi-

Had our first 'real' cold morning so far here in VT - about 10 degrees Fahrenheit when I went out to warm up the car this morning. Since this is my first winter with my BX1860, I thought maybe I should see if it'll start up in the cold.

After warming the glow plugs for about 10 seconds, I cranked it and it fired right up, usual puff of black smoke, but then followed by some white smoke for 5-10 seconds and also some rough idling, which subsided quickly. I have not noticed either of these two things prior to the cold (the white smoke and the rough idle).

I don't have a block heater as they don't appear to be compatible with the BX1860 (well, they are but it's a dealer install and I don't have a way of getting my tractor to the dealer easily). I do treat my fuel with the white bottle of winter treatment. All filters recently changed as was the oil. The tractor is kept in an unheated garage and I do use a battery tender.

At any rate, I let it run for about 15 minutes before going to work with no issues.

My question: Is the short rough idle and/or white smoke anything to be concerned with or is this just par for the course with cold weather starting? Should I run the glow plugs longer? Also, should I throttle up a bit when starting or just after starting?

Thanks!
I’m up in the Champlain Islands and have the same setup, BX in an unheated garage. Everything you described is perfectly normal and keep doing the same thing, I bump the throttle up just enough to smooth out the vibrations, usually a few hundred rpm.
Also, as temps drop you’ll need longer glow and crank times. Last winter after sitting outside with below zero for a week it took about 60 seconds of glow and a good 10 seconds of cranking. Once started, it’ll sound like it wants to come unglued...
As everyone stated, idle time to let things warm up is a must. I go out and start the tractor then do all the hand shoveling before taking off.
Take care, stay warm!

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
I live in high desert region, and while we rarely get down well below zero we do get in the single digits sometime.
My Bx is stored in a metal shipping container with no heat but I keep it plugged in to a battery minder.
I also use Diesel treatment winter and summer since we get a HUGE range of temperatures in one day.
We can go from sub freezing to the 80 degree mark in the same day in october!
My Bx 1880 is only about a year and a half old and when I have started it well below freezing I have experienced exactly what you have.

I do two clicks on the glow plugs at 10 seconds each with a 1/4 throttle.

the BX starts immediately with the ushal puff of black smoke for a moment then a little white smoke, engine will stumble for a few seconds then settle down.

I would say what you are seeing if perfectly normal.:D