Cell Phone mounts - Need Ideas

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Really why do you need to carry a phone anyway? Unless there is someone with a health issue why carry it?
Life is complicated enough with out worrying who is on line or answering some text, or doing memes on the tractor. If you have a business they will leave a message you dont need to pick it up on the first ring !

If your life is that attached to your phone that you cant go with out it for a couple hours, you really have an addiction problem and need to step back and review your life. I know people like this and a few have not come back to the house because I tell them shut the damn thing off or leave it in the truck.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Really why do you need to carry a phone anyway? Unless there is someone with a health issue why carry it?
Some of us use our machines for work so being able to answer the phone is a necessary evil. I don’t like carrying the cell on my body 24/7 because I dont like the idea of constantly microwaving my gonads or my heart when it’s in my shirt pocket.

Ive tried a couple of suction cup models and have been disappointed with their ability to stay put on the cab fenders and/or cab glass. A screw on RAM ball mount is probably your best bet. I use one for my bike GPS and it has been 100% reliable so far. Come to think of it I should just toss the suction mounts in the garbage and order a RAM mount off amazon right now and put it in the cab. Cheaper than replacing a cracked cell phone screen...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Another solution:
For a variety of reasons I feel as though I need easy access to a phone while out in the barn or on the tractor to call for help if needed. I can recommend the apple watch series 3 or above. It may require a little better cell signal than your phone does, and that depends on your location and carrier, or you need to have your phone nearby. Things it can do that are useful: call 911 with one button push, can answer a call with a tap on screen, will display text messages and you can dictate a reply and send it, can via siri ask it to call someone on your contact list. Saves a lot of fighting to get phone out of inaccessible pockets or trying to touch buttons with cold hands. The older versions like the 3 have come down in price. I am surprised at how useful it is.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A GPS on your BIKE????? Good Lord, I have been riding since 1970 ( hully shyt thats 50 years) been all over the country, on back roads, highways, and interstates.
And laying around some place I got an old iron butt plate holder for a thousand miles in 24 hours. Ya gota remember it is NOT the destination, its the journey. A lot of times directions were written on the back of a match book, if you are old enough to know what they are.
Phones and GPS do have their places but not when you are running equipment or riding the scoot. Just my humble stone age opinion

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Life is complicated enough with out worrying who is on line or answering some text, or doing memes on the tractor. If you have a business they will leave a message you dont need to pick it up on the first ring !

If your life is that attached to your phone that you cant go with out it for a couple hours, you really have an addiction problem and need to step back and review your life. I know people like this and a few have not come back to the house because I tell them shut the damn thing off or leave it in the truck.
Because some of us have to pay the bills. And when the phone rings, you go to work. YMMV.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My cell phone stays tucked between the sun visor and the cab roof. My 2 way FM radio (which we use for communication) is on the floor next to the fire extinguisher.

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl

I fall into that category. If the tractor fails on me (B3350) some has to bring my powerchair/wheelchair to me. So why do I take the risk of this? So I am not vegging out only in a chair. The cell is a lifeline back to someone who knows I am playing with the tractor. I volunteer to help maintain the local ballfields with cutting, roadwork, dirt/clay moving, ETC. The county does try maintain the infrastructure but does not have the money for all. They depend on volunteers in get the fields ready for the kids.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado

I carry a phone for the same reason I carry a gun. In case I NEED it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
just like the old Gerber multi function tools that allow you to save the world, conquer the universe, and keep handy on your belt.....I consider my cell phone mostly a tool that can also communicate if I need to. Need to trouble shoot something: Google it. Need to see how something is done: YouTube Need some ideas: OTT and all the other sites. Need to make a note that you won't forget about that part you need: type it in. Need to take a pic of that broken or odd part needed: take a pic. Working late and need to tell the wife that you won't be home in time to make that 7 course meal for her supper: Give her a call! :D Need we say more????

Not everybody uses their tractor on a half acre lot and is only a few steps away from their house or shop. Not everyone uses it on their larger property only. Some, like me, have different properties that are miles apart and you're gone for the whole day or more. Like others, that are out all day for their business, their phone is almost a necessity. Usually I can't hear my phone ring or feel it vibrate when operating the tractor and don't like taking calls while its running. But I do like being able to see the phone, not only for telling time, but to know if something else has happened that needs my attention more than what I'm doing at the present. Especially the older we get. Then the phone becomes a lifeline for more than yourself.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Especially the older we get. Then the phone becomes a lifeline for more than yourself.
I used to remember lots of things. My phone remembers them for me now. I know nobody's phone number. It also remembers groceries I need to buy, and a list of options for presents for the missus when the next occasion comes around. I like having it with me.

I also sometimes do tractor work when I'm on call. When I'm on call I need my phone.

Doesn't mean I'm looking at it every second. But it's a tool, like any other tool. And when I want it, I want it near me.

Safety is an important one too. Plenty of guys had their tractor roll on themselves, and died overnight in the cold. Phone could have saved them. Might not have, but might have. I own it. Why not carry it?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A GPS on your BIKE????? Good Lord, I have been riding since 1970 ( hully shyt thats 50 years) been all over the country, on back roads, highways, and interstates.
And laying around some place I got an old iron butt plate holder for a thousand miles in 24 hours. Ya gota remember it is NOT the destination, its the journey. A lot of times directions were written on the back of a match book, if you are old enough to know what they are.
Phones and GPS do have their places but not when you are running equipment or riding the scoot. Just my humble stone age opinion
Its the first GPS I bought back in 2001...a hunting/fishing waterproof handheld GPS that runs off AA batteries...pretty cool that it still works! The really cool part is I can download the tracks and view them on google earth. Ive taken that GPS around the globe with me and I think its cool to see where this thing has been both on and off road. Before it was on my bike I had it on the golf cart and mapped all the trails. Do I NEED it? About as much as I NEED my motorcycle...heck, cameras are on cell phones now, who NEEDS that?

Hopefully you took some pictures to go with your memories of that iron butt tour!

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I installed a Ram Mount on my fender and it works well. No worries about the phone falling out.

I have a Ram Mount like this also, except the mount I use attaches to the door rail on the inside of the cab door. Ram makes great stuff, and mounts for any application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Cool options. Thanks Everyone for the ideas. After going over my B3200 this weekend I ended up going with one of the Arkon mounts. This will allow me to have it close to my USB port for charging (short cord that won't get tangled) and easily bend it forward to where I can see it if needed. It is supposed to arrive today and I'll get it installed either tonight or later this week and post some shots

I seem to have opened a great divide here with the usage of technology whil you are working on/with your Orange. As I stated earlier, I have all my music on my phone so that is the primary reason it is with me on my tractor. Can I live without it for 3-4hrs of tractor mowing time? Absolutely, but why sit there in silence? My property is relatively small (25 acres) but if I am in the woods or out by the road, it is not in a line of sight to the house or a quick stroll if there is an emergency. God forbid something happens and I am unable to get myself out of a situation. If I can make a call, at least the FD can use my coordinates to get to where I am. Those extra couple minutes may make all the difference.

For my professional role I am oncall 24x7x365. There is a separate phone I carry just for business. This phone stays in the house during tractor time. If I am contacted on this phone, then the wife will either call me or flag me down to check out the issue.

Anyways, for those of you who do not want to carry a phone with you during your tractor time, that is your choice and I can respect that. Now those new Alexa Auto things Nationwide Insurance is pushing is a bit too much for me. Don't have a clue what that gets you that your voice assistant on your mobile does not other than possibly collecting telemetry data to send back to Nationwide for rate adjustments.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The mount arrived today and it was a very quick installation. Moved the base over to the other side of the mount for added clearance, added a couple washers and used one of the bolts that hold down the cover under the seat. As it sits now I have good clearance for the 4wd loader and 3pt controls. Clears the seatbelt as well. Doesn’t get in the way of my RT leg either. I’ll try it here for a few sessions and if it bothers me I can relocate it over to the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
The mount arrived today and it was a very quick installation. Moved the base over to the other side of the mount for added clearance, added a couple washers and used one of the bolts that hold down the cover under the seat. As it sits now I have good clearance for the 4wd loader and 3pt controls. Clears the seatbelt as well. Doesn’t get in the way of my RT leg either. I’ll try it here for a few sessions and if it bothers me I can relocate it over to the left side.
That is a really clean installation - I might steal that for my B2650

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
That is a really clean installation - I might steal that for my B2650
Thanks. Out the door with tax it was just over 30 USD. The kit comes with three additional mounting plates and hardware so you can mount it just about anywhere. My goal was to reuse an existing bolt and not drill a new hole to mount it. The flexible shaft is not easily bent so you do not have to worry about it bending or drooping while in use. The top mount is on a swivel with a locking nut on the back to secure it once you get a position that works for you. The third picture where you see the blue light on the fender is my USB charging port. A fairly short cable will make that connection and be out of the way.

I spent more time playing with it to adjust the position than I did installing it. Total time invested to install was less than 15 minutes.

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Re: Cell Phone mounts - Update

I spent around three hours in the seat of my Orange this past Sunday and am very pleased with the placement and operation of the Arkon mount. I was able to easily flex it in to a position where it did not obstruct my knee or hand from reaching any controls. Best of all once I got it in position, it did not move at all. and the mount holding the cell did great. No issues with it working loose. I was a bit concerned since I have one of the 8 Plus iPhones that it would be top heavy and cause problems. Definitely give this mod two thumbs up!

Terrain was quite bumpy brush hogging around an old motocross course and being back in the woods moving fallen trees and filling ruts in the trails.