What made you happy you got the backhoe today?

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
There is a lot of debate on this site over whether it’s worth buying the backhoe or renting a machine as needed. In the spirit of the “what did you do to or on your Kubota today” thread, I thought a similar thread would be helpful to new buyers that are on the fence whether to get the factory backhoe with initial purchase. For purposes of this thread, we all accept that a track hoe or Mini Ex will do the job faster. But this thread is for those that already have a backhoe and are happy they didn’t have to go out and rent another machine. Pictures or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I’ll start. Was grading out the driveway from a 200’ trench I dug. Had the snowblade on in dozer mode (springs locked). Encountered large heavy rock. Tight conditions made it difficult to push it out the way and no hooks on the blade. No problem. Picked it up with the BH and thumb. Dropped it in the pile. Saved me around 10 mins of switching to bucket and then back to blade.

Attachments

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've had a TLB since 2006. I wouldn't have a tractor without one for the stuff that I do.

I despise renting equipment. It's either broken and I have to fix it, or it simply doesn't work and I don't like wasting a half day picking it up and returning it.

My last purchase was a plate compactor. They rent for 90/day. So I bought a new one for $450 and can use it whenever I feel like it.

I would have to say that yes, a backhoe is very expensive , but you will certainly get your money out of it when you sell it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I borrow my neighbors Case Extenda-Hoe. All I do is fuel it, there anytime I need it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Mine has dug a couple dozen tree holes for us & the neighbors, uncovered the location of the neighbor's septic system, dug a trench to bring power to my garage, dug out the water valve for replacement, cleared culverts, broken up compacted planters & stirred in soil enhancers, cut drainage, lifted & moved stuff.... the list is almost endless. Mine is old technology & pretty weak compared to modern hoes or a track hoe, but it sure beats a shovel & a pick.

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I use machines for a living I currently have 3 backhoes and 2 tractors with backhoe attachments and a trackhoe they are stored in different locations except for the MX which I use around my house more for mowing fields than backhoe work but it's here if I need it.

Tractors with backhoe attachments are not really capable of serious backhoe work but they are a lot better than a shovel and digging iron.

I will say this when you own a backhoe it get used if not by you by one of your "new friends" who just happens to have some work for a backhoe. :D

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I used mine for the first time this evening. 3 big rocks were dug up. These were ones that are sticking up just high enough to hit my lawnmower blades at times. I tried to dig them up by hand a long time ago, but realized they were too big. They turned out not to be boulders, but big enough they are hard to push around by hand. One cedar stump was also removed easily. It is one I have had to cut around for years and fire ants always nest in it. Last but not least, a fence post that was broken off flush to the ground and had been concreted in the ground. I'm tickled how short a time period it took me to do that. If I only had my grapple. I'm waiting on Everything Attachments to send it.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
In the last year, I have put at least 40 hours on the backhoe - breaking concrete, digging stumps, trenching, building site prep, boulder removal, and planting trees and posts. Rental is expensive, distant, not always available, and not convenient.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Wasn't today but I originally got the backhoe to fix some drainage in my yard and to take care of some other things. Figured it'd be handy to have around. I also hate renting things. Especially larger equipment. Was so glad I had it when, the winter after I'd bought it, I had three large willow trees blow over. I was able to pull the stumps with my little bx using the backhoe.

I've used it to move large slabs of broken concrete (was surrounded by trees), railroad ties, cleaned up a bunch of piles of clay left from a new septic install, etc...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I got mine to do some electrical, water and sewer line trenching, and to dig out a big stand of bamboo roots. If you've ever had bamboo roots, you know they are a carpet of very hard roots to get out. The BH77 did a great job and it's been over a year now and no signs of bamboo.

Attachments

Woodstuck

Equipment
L2501
Apr 29, 2019
Hammonton
I bought a l2501 with a bh77 and use it enough that I'm considering trading up to an l47. Just 2 weeks ago the day before leaving for vacation my well started leaking 6 feet down where the pitless adapter attaches to the well casing. I had the hole dug in about 15 min in the dark and repaired in about an hour. If I didn't have the backhoe it would have been an emergency call to a well guy. I find that whenever I'm using the tractor I spend about half the time on the backhoe and the other half using either forks or the front bucket.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
Like others have said it's not a mini x but it will do most jobs that I feel qualified to do. In the last week I have moved a gutter drain pipe and installed a 40' culvert in my driveway. I called the town and told them I was going to be working on my driveway entrance because of a big hump. I told them the culvert was rusted out and if they would supply the culvert I would put it in. They must have thought that was a good offer because the culvert was delivered in less then 4 hours. I have had 2 tractors with back hoes. 1, John Deere 4310 and my current Grand L6060. I wouldn't want to be without a back hoe if I have a tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I got mine to do some electrical, water and sewer line trenching, and to dig out a big stand of bamboo roots. If you've ever had bamboo roots, you know they are a carpet of very hard roots to get out. The BH77 did a great job and it's been over a year now and no signs of bamboo.
That's one of the worst jobs I ever had to do when I had my side business. I dug out a stand for a client with my BX23. I thought I would break that little hoe for sure...worse than digging rocks. You're right, those roots were freaking hard!

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
There is a lot of debate on this site over whether it***8217;s worth buying the backhoe or renting a machine as needed. In the spirit of the ***8220;what did you do to or on your Kubota today***8221; thread, I thought a similar thread would be helpful to new buyers that are on the fence whether to get the factory backhoe with initial purchase. For purposes of this thread, we all accept that a track hoe or Mini Ex will do the job faster. But this thread is for those that already have a backhoe and are happy they didn***8217;t have to go out and rent another machine. Pictures or it didn***8217;t happen!

Watching my 10 year old daughter swim in the pool that I dug two weeks ago and finished today made me pretty happy i had the BH77! Its my second backhoe and i love it. I have about 40 hours on it (just backhoe time) and it***8217;s proved to be much better than the 603 on my BX23S.

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Watching my 10 year old daughter swim in the pool that I dug two weeks ago and finished today made me pretty happy i had the BH77! Its my second backhoe and i love it. I have about 40 hours on it (just backhoe time) and it***8217;s proved to be much better than the 603 on my BX23S.

[emoji106][emoji106]

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Had to do some more site prep prior to pouring some more concrete. Backhoe made short work of a cleaning out the pad base.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My backhoe in not on a Kubota frame, or have a Kubota engine. It's a Ditch Witch with a 40 HP Ford industrial engine.

Something that has worked for me. When replacing a fuel pump in the tank fuel pump on a PU, just cut two 2x6's that will just fit under the bed lip. Put the boards under the lip, attach a chain to the center of each and lift (that is after the bolts are removed). I then set a 5 gal bucket on each corner and let it set until I'm finished.

Last edited: