L3560 snow removal help

Oldskl426

Equipment
L3560
Dec 5, 2019
Mathias, WV, USA
Hey guys, new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be taking ownership of a new L3560HSTC-LE soon and am torn about snow removal this year. The machine has R4 tires that will be filled and a 7' Land pride manual blade. I am trying to figure out if I am pushing snow on paved roads and a shale driveway with some hills if it will give me some trouble with those industrial tires. My dealer told me he has only sold a handful of sets for this machine and wouldn't be too worried about it. You never know what the conditions are they are in to know if it would be comparable. I hate to spend the money after getting a new machine if I don't need chains, but also don't want there to be 12" of snow on the ground and find out i will be sliding all over the place.

I can find info about some of the BX and B machines, but not too many commenting on an L3560 in regards to traction with the tires in the snow on pavement. Anyone with a comparable machine that could give some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the Paved road is county / state owned, careful doing any work on it, some places get real testy about that.

With snow and hills I wouldn't be running a tractor with R4's without some chains, but that's me.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey guys, new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be taking ownership of a new L3560HSTC-LE soon and am torn about snow removal this year. The machine has R4 tires that will be filled and a 7' Land pride manual blade. I am trying to figure out if I am pushing snow on paved roads and a shale driveway with some hills if it will give me some trouble with those industrial tires. My dealer told me he has only sold a handful of sets for this machine and wouldn't be too worried about it. You never know what the conditions are they are in to know if it would be comparable. I hate to spend the money after getting a new machine if I don't need chains, but also don't want there to be 12" of snow on the ground and find out i will be sliding all over the place.

I can find info about some of the BX and B machines, but not too many commenting on an L3560 in regards to traction with the tires in the snow on pavement. Anyone with a comparable machine that could give some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
It will depend upon the amount of snow and the terrain.

Even though R-4 tires are just plain awful in snow, you should be OK using a front mounted plow (snow removed prior to tire contact) if plowing moderate snow on pavement and terrain without substantial hills. Heavy snow and/or hills will be a different story.

FWIW: My B3350 with FEL mounted plow, R-4 tires, ballast box filled with bagged playground sand, and hard rubber cutting edge plows snow on asphalt without issue. It has difficulty moving itself on asphalt with the F&R chains installed. Crushed rock surface would be different.

SDT

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don't panic just yet. I have an L3560, loaded R4's, and some hills. I used a back blade and FEL with bucket for 2 years when we had lots of snow. I have not gotten it stuck yet, although when I was learning what it could or couldn't do I was practicing in a pasture. You will have to try different techniques for each location as to how much snow you can move at once and where to pile it so it won't freeze solid and become permanent until spring. If you have a terrible narrow winding drive with a sheer dropoff on the side that turns into a sheet of ice, go get chains or studs on those tires. Or better yet a front snowblower :eek: It is a great tractor you'll love it!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Best bet is to use what you have and see how it goes. There are entirely too many variables involved.
I have run R4's since about 2000, and have never chained them up. I plow a variety of residential drives, some with moderate inclines. I do own a set of chains, since I have a contractual obligation to get these drives cleared.
Anyway, back to variables : In my climate and usual snowfalls, I find I begin having trouble when I am delayed in plowing when the temps are above freezing. The water moves down to the pavement and it becomes a slick mess. Getting out there first thing at zero dark thirty, or immediately after the snow stops I rarely have traction issues.

I suspect you will enjoy your L3560!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DevilDog

Equipment
L3540 HST3, 72" Woods Rear Finishing Mower, L3584" Land Pride BB, 72" York Rake,
Feb 1, 2011
upstate N.Y.
What I can tell you is that I have a L3540 open station since new, I have a Land Pride L3584 rear blade and clean two driveways.One is 200 ft and the other is 150 ft. Two days age we received 26.5 of heavy snow, never had issue cleaning both black top drives, oh I have loaded R4's.
DevilDog

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Not in the same league...

BX23S, R4s. With the Hoe on back and a 60 inch snow pusher, no traction issues on gravel. Take the hoe off..... yikes...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd agree with Rjcorazza, and others. See how you tractor does what you want it to do, then decide if you need chains. I have an L4240 with R4 tires loaded and I clean several driveway for 100' to 500', some levei, some sloped with a front end bucket. Never had a need for chains. So, depending on your slopes, see how you do, then decide.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a L3560HSTC I have had for 5 yrs. and have a front plow I purchased from Quick Attach and I use a 3rd function valve for left and right. I have a 72" Land Pride rear blade and a 1000' gravel drive that has a very steep hill and cannot even get up the hill without chains in a storm, and I'm not talking plowing, even just to get up to plow it down. I just purchased front chains to compliment the rear ones as sometimes I get ice and as I plow the front of the tractor slides to the side. By the way, I use to have R4s on other tractors, but now I have turf tires and the chains go on the turfs a lot easier, still a pia! But you do what you have to to get the job done.

Oldskl426

Equipment
L3560
Dec 5, 2019
Mathias, WV, USA
I appreciate the feedback. My biggest fear is sliding around, getting stuck in a ditch and then have to think, “wish I would have gotten chains.” This is my first tractor and don’t know the capabilities of the machine.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I'm on the other side of the coin... I've got a L3560 with R1s and live in western NY in the country with over a 100 yard driveway with a hill (not real steep). I had the dealer throw in a set of chains as part of my deal when I got the tractor because the old Ford 600 I had (with R1s) needed chains and I continually got stuck with that even though I had the heavy chains on it, but it was only two wheel drive. I have yet to put the chain on my L3560... they sit there brand new, never used and I've moved some pretty deep, heavy snow. I've never even had to use the positive traction because I've never gotten stuck, even slightly. That thing is a tank!

The downside of my L3560 with R1s is they tear my yard all up! Unless the ground is frozen hard, the front tires especially, sink right in with that heavy loader. I use a ballast box which does seem to help, but if I drive over a wet spot I'll have ruts for sure. Summer, winter, makes no difference. The tires tear up my yard because of the weight of the tractor.

I've always wondered if I should have gotten R4s that would have been good enough to plow snow, but easier on my lawn???????

I agree that you try it and see.

Ted

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
My experience with L3130 rop (Turfs) and L4740 cab (R4's) and steep driveways or ledges off driveways is that chains are needed. On the R3's (turf) I used rubber chains with great success snow blowing and using rear 7' blade.

The L4740 with R4's can get stuck in wet grass. I wouldn't even think about going down a steeper hill without chains and I run about 1,000 lbs of ballast off the 3-pt to offset the front snowblower.

R4's are great for loader work, wear and general thread strength compared to the turfs, but suffer in the traction department.

Can you get buy without chains? Probably, but the first time you get stuck or make the job more difficult due to low traction, you'll wish you had them.

I must say that I'm surprised how effective rubber tire chains are after using them for nearly 10 years now.

Neither tractor has loaded tires.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
.................I've always wondered if I should have gotten R4s that would have been good enough to plow snow, but easier on my lawn???????.....................Ted
We all have different soils and grasses. All my experience is since 1990 on our 3-1/2 acres with 5 different tractors. A 2WD with Turfs, a small 4WD with R3's and progressively larger 4WD's with R4's. The R4's work best for me.

I always have the loader and frame off and don't use 4WD for mowing. My best results have been with the largest tractor that has loaded R4's.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I pushed a foot deep of very heavy wet snow last week with our BX23s, R4`s, loaded rear tires, a rear 3pt carry-all loaded to about 400lbs, no chains, no problems.
But that was on level ground. Absolutely chain it up if your on hills and around deep ditches. Common sense.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
When thinking about use of chains, also consider having to stop while going down hill on snow pack/ice/or other low friction conditions and remember the front wheels do not have brakes.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
4wd HST kind of has front brakes.
Yep.... Nothing like one front wheel trying to somewhat brake while the other freewheels. Really helps with control as your sliding downhill.:eek: