B3200 Loss of power to rear wheels

haese56

Equipment
BX3200
Oct 10, 2013
Kenai, Alaska
I’ve been having a few issues ever since I changed my hydro fluid last fall. I was trying to do the right thing but maybe I should have left well enough alone since I now see Kubota extended the service interval.

Anyhow I had a devil of a time getting the fluid level correct and probably had it high for a short time after I changed it. Loader operation was erratic mainly in the “power down” mode.... I thought there might be an air bubble still working it’s way out.

Recently when moving snow, it’s seemed to me like the rear wheels are getting little or no power. The tractor will push forward but when I hit the berm one or the other front wheel will spin but neither rear wheel will. Picking up the front wheels with the loader the rear wheels do give some power. It just seems like it the front wheel(s) start to spin the rears disengage. I have chains on the rear but not the front.

I pulled the hydro dipstick and it is barely registering. Could this be the issue? Would a quart be too much to add?

I’m operating in about 15F weather. I normally plug in before starting and run at idle (10,000 rpm) 10-15 minutes before working it. Now in the manual I see it says to warm it up at 50% of “rated RPM”....what would that be?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your issues have nothing to do with fluid levels or flow.

Your issue is very likely a broken differential or axle.

But there is one odd occurrence that happens with some of the smaller tractors, that is that the tires go flat enough that the rims spin inside the tire, have someone watch and see if this is what's going on. ;)

haese56

Equipment
BX3200
Oct 10, 2013
Kenai, Alaska
Thank you wolfman I will try to check that. The tires seem to have plenty of air.
I put it in 2WD and it “goes” but as soon as I hit the slightest incline it just stops... no drive out of the rear wheels. I can turn around and creep up the incline in reverse. It almost seems like the 2wd/4wd selector is not seating into position as thoroughly as it should. I’m in Alaska at the end of the road long ways from any service so I’m hoping this is something simple but maybe not.

haese56

Equipment
BX3200
Oct 10, 2013
Kenai, Alaska
Wolfman.... you are the man. I was so skeptical, I had my wife come out and sit in the operators seat (something I have been loathe to because my percievef ability with a chainsaw and the tractor are about the only two things which keep me relevant around here most days it seems.) So..., I had her operate fiddle with every other control multiple times while I looked from underneath... all to no avail... but it was a Valentines Day bonding experience for sure. I finally had her push into a snow berm and holy #}<>* the wheel on my side spinning away inside the tire. Only then did I realize it did have a flat spot. Aired it up and problem solved. I’m guessing that loaded tire may no longer be THAT loaded. The other side was also barely registering on a guage. Have them both back up to 20# now THANKYOU. Loader was again acting up but I’m thinking could be air in the system that needs to work out after adding a quart of new UDT?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I love when I can save someone a huge expense of a non needed tranny or rear end repair job! :D

Run it for a while and if the loader is still acting up give a shout.

One quick thing to try is disconnect and reconnect the quick disconnects on the loader hydraulic hoses, as a sticking one can cause some weird issues!

Brianna

Equipment
B3200 snowblower
Dec 1, 2019
Thomaston Maine USA
Your issues have nothing to do with fluid levels or flow.

Your issue is very likely a broken differential or axle.

But there is one odd occurrence that happens with some of the smaller tractors, that is that the tires go flat enough that the rims spin inside the tire, have someone watch and see if this is what's going on. ;)
Wolfman, I can not thank you enough we have troubleshot the fuel system, changed the filter added the 911 as the hydraulic speed was slow it was very cold here when trying to snowblow. still it was gutless going forward as described. I had 2 flat calcium filled tires that were not noticeable. Problem fixed....

i created an account just to say thank you for your kindness in sharing your knowledge. you are a lifesaver my trailer is burred in snow from 2 storms and my dealer to get it fixed is 3 hours away.

thank you again.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, I can not thank you enough we have troubleshot the fuel system, changed the filter added the 911 as the hydraulic speed was slow it was very cold here when trying to snowblow. still it was gutless going forward as described. I had 2 flat calcium filled tires that were not noticeable. Problem fixed....

i created an account just to say thank you for your kindness in sharing your knowledge. you are a lifesaver my trailer is burred in snow from 2 storms and my dealer to get it fixed is 3 hours away.

thank you again.:)
Glad my information helped, and thank you! :D