Strange regen yesterday

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Yesterday while using my Jinma 6 wood chipper behind my L3301, engine temp normal, engine rpms PTO speed (2600), chipping small branches.
My engine went into a strange regen state that I never seen before.
Only the top regen icon (light) came on, it did not tell me to increase the rpms, it did not go out when I increased the rpms to full throttle and did not tell me to increase rpms when I lowered it to an idle.
Therefore, I restarted my chipping at 2600 rpms, and continued my chipping and finally the regen icon went out and the exhaust note (sound) was back to normal.
:confused::confused:

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Not familiar with your model but it sounds like a normal regen to me. You don't have to run the engine at WOT for a successful regen to happen. You were already running at PTO rpm, that is all that is needed to generate the needed DPF temps, in fact it would even work at slightly lower rpms as well. When my L4701 is going through regen, the light stays on till the process is completed.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What it was telling you (I think) if I am visualizing your lights correctly, is that 2600 rpm was adequate for regen. So in that case do nothing and just leave it at that rpm until it has finished. It is best not to stop regen by reducing rpm or any other interruption.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
When the exhaust is already hot enough to regen, it will just go in to regen without having to do anything at all. I have had my L3901 do this when using my WoodMaxx chipper. Everything is normal.

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
When the exhaust is already hot enough to regen, it will just go in to regen without having to do anything at all. I have had my L3901 do this when using my WoodMaxx chipper. Everything is normal.
If the EGTs were already hot enough, wouldn't it be in passive regen without the need for an active regen?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If the EGTs were already hot enough, wouldn't it be in passive regen without the need for an active regen?
It just depends on the use and maybe some other factors. On the tractors with a monitor of dpf filter fullness, you can watch the numbers change as you use it. They go up when you start it from cold. They may then go down again as you use it, depending on how hard it is run, or may continue to go up at a slower rate. So you could hit 100% with long use even at a high rpm.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
sheepfarmer I swear you know more about this regen stuff than the dealers do,, good on ya and happy Thanksgiving :D

Zaicran

Equipment
B2650, 72" MMM, LA534+QA, RCR1260
Oct 8, 2019
Morganza, MD
It just depends on the use and maybe some other factors. On the tractors with a monitor of dpf filter fullness, you can watch the numbers change as you use it. They go up when you start it from cold. They may then go down again as you use it, depending on how hard it is run, or may continue to go up at a slower rate. So you could hit 100% with long use even at a high rpm.
Makes sense. I just know when I'm pulling heavy with my RAM 3500, I can go across the country without an active regen due to the continuous high EGT's...I suppose these tractors don't see that kind of use...where the turbo is spooled up continuously under load. Load is really the factor when it comes to keeping the DPF cleaned out...load = high EGT's.

If I keep the EGT's over 600F for long periods in my truck, mine never regens because it is doing it passively.

I know, apples to oranges here...but same principal.