Spill Guard

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I finally got the FEL spill guard finished and installed today. I had a local shop cut the pieces of steel for it, I welded it up and took it back to them for blasting and powder coating. The powder coating came out great as you can see in the pictures.
I added two features to it that seemed to make sense to me. One is an opening in the middle with expanded metal welded in to let you see some of what the guard blocks.
The other feature was a pair of small doors on each side in front of the hooks I have bolted to each side of the bucket. The have little tabs that lock them shut when not in use and have stainless steel spring loaded hinges. That way, I can use the hooks just as I did before I put the guard on.

All told, with the steel and powder coating, I have about $200 in it.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice. All the little details make it yours, and that's what makes fabrication fun. You need to get it scratched up a bit now.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Great design! I think a lot of tractor owners have had something dump on the hood by over curling the bucket. A previous owner had done it to mine, as evidenced by some marginal bodywork on the topside of my hood.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Now I'm mulling over my next project. :confused:

I did make another little item that I had powder coated at the same time though not in Kubota Orange.
I got tired of having to clamp the bench grinder down on the bench to keep it from moving around, so I made this stand for it. I even put a couple of rods to store replacement stones and a tab to hold the stone dresser. I just have to get some concrete blocks to set on the base to keep it put.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Get someone to make some sandbags to put around the base. They will not walk off the base and do a much better job damping the vibrations.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Get someone to make some sandbags to put around the base. They will not walk off the base and do a much better job damping the vibrations.
Actually I had thought about that, like the sand tubes they make for putting in the trunk of your car. I don't remember just how long they are, but if they're too long, I could cut them in two and sew up the open ends.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
dlsmith-
We think alike. My shop is too small so I need as many tools as I can get that can be moved around.
First two pics are my HF pedestal grinder on a caster base I made from a surplus fixture plate. (1/2" aluminum)
Last three are pics of my diamond tool grinder and the caster base I made for it from surplus 1" fixture plate. Both have locking casters so they stay put.

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
dlsmith-
We think alike. My shop is too small so I need as many tools as I can get that can be moved around.
First two pics are my HF pedestal grinder on a caster base I made from a surplus fixture plate. (1/2" aluminum)
Last three are pics of my diamond tool grinder and the caster base I made for it from surplus 1" fixture plate. Both have locking casters so they stay put.
Apparently so. I have most of my equipment on casters so they can be moved around, like my drill press, and even my 20 ton shop press and Jet metal lathe. That also allows me to move them away from the wall to sweep up around them. I've even been eyeing my main bench that is about 12 feet long.
My shop is pretty good size, 32' X 48' but I have too much unneeded equipment since I'm out of the trucking business now, like a 2,000# capacity transmission jack and dual wheel dollie.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Nice looking stuff there Bill! And dlsmith, welcome to the fun world of metalworking! Imagine it and build it.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Speaking of metalworking, here is a handy little device I found on Amazon for holding pieces in place at a 90° angle so you can tack weld them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079K7PKSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for cutting holes and rounded corners these are really handy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCGZGX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need all the help I can get when I use my plasma cutter.

So many tools and such a small toolbox.