B7610 hydro

danS209

Equipment
B7610
Feb 19, 2020
Acampo
Hey everyone, new here. I bought a very used B7610 hydrostatic tractor. I am not able to get the PTO to shut off/shift out nor am I able to get it to shift out of high. I took off the reveal on top of the tractor and I can see the linkage moving and the shifting forks slightly moving. Not a transmission guy so I don't know what everything in there does or does not do. The only thing I was able to find if that it might be a broken shifter fork but it's happening ob 2 different shifters so I assume that's unlikely and I can see them move a little. Are these two gears somehow linked? I bought a WSM but it did not help. Does anyone have a direction I can go in to solve this problem? Right now all I can use is my box scraper otherwise it just sits there.

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I have the same model but do not have any knowledge of the internal workings. I was hoping someone with service experience would reply to help you.
Is the PTO stuck in 540 or 960 RPM range?
How is it starting if the PTO is engaged? Is the safety switch shorted?
Does the clutch operation seem normal? I'm assuming you are disengaging the clutch to move either of those levers.
On mine, I have to move the tractor slightly with the HST pedal to move the speed range lever if I'm on level ground or take the pressure off the drive if on a hill.
Both levers pivot off the same post, is it bent or corroded? If the actuator rods are removed from the levers, do they pivot freely on their shaft?
The detents on mine are strong but I don't see them looking at the exploded parts diagram. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will chime in to help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Spray down all the linkage with lube and see if that changes anything, like MINICUP28 said, clutch to do any shifts of range or stop in and out.

If you still can not get them to move, your only other option is dive in and open it up.

danS209

Equipment
B7610
Feb 19, 2020
Acampo
I have the same model but do not have any knowledge of the internal workings. I was hoping someone with service experience would reply to help you.
Is the PTO stuck in 540 or 960 RPM range?
How is it starting if the PTO is engaged? Is the safety switch shorted?
Does the clutch operation seem normal? I'm assuming you are disengaging the clutch to move either of those levers.
On mine, I have to move the tractor slightly with the HST pedal to move the speed range lever if I'm on level ground or take the pressure off the drive if on a hill.
Both levers pivot off the same post, is it bent or corroded? If the actuator rods are removed from the levers, do they pivot freely on their shaft?
The detents on mine are strong but I don't see them looking at the exploded parts diagram. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will chime in to help.
HEY MINICUP28!

I believe it is stuck in 540 range. The tractor starts because the guy who owned it before basically bypassed every safety switch thats on the tractor. The clutch seems to work good and yea I have the pedal depressed when trying to move the levers. We tried racking the tractor when attempting to shift but it didn't do anything for us. I am unsure of them pivoting freely but I can take the linkage apart and see what happens. The posts seem fine. No corrosion and they seems true.

Thanks!

danS209

Equipment
B7610
Feb 19, 2020
Acampo
Spray down all the linkage with lube and see if that changes anything, like MINICUP28 said, clutch to do any shifts of range or stop in and out.

If you still can not get them to move, your only other option is dive in and open it up.
Any recommendations on where to fine a good video or video series on this type of trans or model? I have yet to find one. I ask because I have never taken apart a transmission and don't want to not be able to get it back together. Though the local kubota dealer said they could do it for $1200-$2000 depending whats wrong.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
One spot to be particularly sure you spray with a lubricant is where the linkage goes into the transmission case. Also, when you had someone rock the tractor while you were moving the levers, did you have them try moving the PTO shaft while trying that lever?

MINICUP28

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I'm afraid I can't be of more help, I've never been inside one of these before.

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84622?sectionId=215777&diagramId=330819

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84622?sectionId=215777&diagramId=330820

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84622?sectionId=215776&diagramId=330817

https://www.messicks.com/ku/84622?sectionId=215776&diagramId=330812

For what it's worth here are the exploded views. I don't have the WSM to describe how the forks interact with each other. It appears from these pix they may be on a common shaft.

I'll keep watching to see what you find. Good Luck!

MINICUP28

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
One thing I thought of that could have caused the problem was if the owner did not cut the PTO shaft to the correct length and raised an implement,it could punch the shaft back into the casing and bend the forks. I have had to cut a large amount off the shaft of all the implements I bought for the B7610.
I measured my PTO shaft protrusion: 2.775" from the end to the rubber oil seal. There is just a perceptible amount of end play: ~.005

Another caution, Do not raise an implement with the ROPS folded down, It will bend the top link.

Last edited:

danS209

Equipment
B7610
Feb 19, 2020
Acampo
One spot to be particularly sure you spray with a lubricant is where the linkage goes into the transmission case. Also, when you had someone rock the tractor while you were moving the levers, did you have them try moving the PTO shaft while trying that lever?
We have tried moving the tractor and spinning the pto both separately and together but it would not hurt to try again. I have also basically submerged the back half of the tractor in lubricant so I assume that it has all been hit but again it doesn't hurt to try a second time.

Thanks!

danS209

Equipment
B7610
Feb 19, 2020
Acampo
Hey MINICUP28,

Thanks for the links! I have reviewed the WSM and it seems like there is a common shaft. I took some pictures but it doesn't seem to be letting me upload them. The WSM also gives scenarios for independent problem nut being that I have essentially the same problem on 2 different shifters I have to assume it's a bigger issue than a shifting fork. Outside of a shifter fork the only other relevant problem I was able to locate in the WSM was pressure relief valves inside the transmission.