Front snowblower and back blade marking up my exposed concrete driveway

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
I have a b3350 with front blower and a rear blade, the shoes from both are making rust stains on my exposed aggregate driveway, the shoes get rusty and leave the rusty metal shavings on the driveway, boy will i have a mess in the spring, i have seen wheels mounted on both but cant seem to find the article, i think those would work better than pvc pipe on the cutting edges. can someone point me in the right direction? thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Never been that anal about my concrete driveway but if you are, TSC has a wide assortment of casters. However, what ever you put on, you'll have to weld on appropriate brackets for them.

None of them will be 'plug and play....:)

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
my drive is not smooth concrete, it has exposed pee sized stones that come to the surface when finished , so it is functionaly like sandpaper

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I swap the back blade cutting from steel to plastic in the winter for snow removal.

Blade Edge.jpg

Many people have put plastic shoes on snow blower to stop the marking.

There are a bunch of threads on making the shoes, different plastic types and wear life here (and on TBN). Search and read.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I swap the back blade cutting from steel to plastic in the winter for snow removal.

View attachment 47275

There are a bunch of threads on making the shoes, different plastic types and wear life here (and on TBN). Search and read.
Bingo.

I use hard rubber cutting edges on both my B3350 front blade and RTV-X1100C blades when plowing snow on concrete or asphalt.

Plows better, and no damage or marking.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: it has exposed pee sized stones that come to the surface when finished

up here they last about 3 winters, then the salty ice water loosens the stone and the blowers/blades remove them. I've seen it on 4 or 5 driveways, different contractors, differnet years, same end result....
they ain't fun to walk on in bare feet either !

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I use a heavy duty polyurethane edge (1.5 x 6 x 84") on my rear blade for customers that don't want scrape marks on their pavement or concrete. I've thought about putting polyurethane shoes on my blower, but it is very heavy and I doubt they would last long enough.
There are other solutions that have been posted here, like the wheels posted above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I made “liners” for my BX2750 shoes out of UHMWP.

Almost bulletproof, and won’t mark anything up. Downside is they do raise the blower cutting edge up by 1/2”. Not sure you are looking for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordonE

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 21, 2017
Carleton Place ont canada
I have a BX2380 with a rear 5 foot RB0560 rear blade for snow removal on my gravel and interlocking brick driveway. I tried skids on the rear blade but was not that happy with them. Next I tried a piece of foam rubber from a TSC stall mat sandwiched between the mould board and the cutting edge of the RB0560. This has worked for 2 winters so far with no problems.

The foam rubber is 3/4 inch thick and cut from the stall mat in a 60 inch by 5 inch piece. Holes are drilled in the stall mat to match up with the cutting edge holes. The cutting edge is turned upside down and swapped end for end and reattached with the stall mat sandwiched between mould board and the cutting edge. The foam rubber sticks out a little over an inch below the bottom of the cutting edge. It has not worn much so far but when it does I have lots more stall mate to make new ones.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI

View attachment 47275

i like that, i ordered some of the black stuff like yours, im going to put it on bottom of snowblower skids, and on shoes on back blade, they rust leaving rust marks, the blade doeasnt seem to rust.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
I made “liners” for my BX2750 shoes out of UHMWP.

Almost bulletproof, and won’t mark anything up. Downside is they do raise the blower cutting edge up by 1/2”. Not sure you are looking for that.

thats exactly what im going to do, ordered sum 3/4 black yesterday

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
re: it has exposed pee sized stones that come to the surface when finished

up here they last about 3 winters, then the salty ice water loosens the stone and the blowers/blades remove them. I've seen it on 4 or 5 driveways, different contractors, differnet years, same end result....

they ain't fun to walk on in bare feet either !

true on the bare feet, and the sealer is every 2 years, about 9, 5 gallon buckets of crystal diamond, $200 a bucket, ouchie this spring

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
i like that, i ordered some of the black stuff like yours, im going to put it on bottom of snowblower skids, and on shoes on back blade, they rust leaving rust marks, the blade doeasnt seem to rust.

500 ft of my drive is gravel, so i need the shoes, this year especially, freeze, melt, freeze, stones everywhere

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington

Possible stupid question.....how do you attach them to the skids?

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
I was going to put a shoe on the factory snowblower skids, but instead im going to remove the factory skids and use 1” x 4” x14” black UHMW turned on edge, if i have to replace it every couple years thats fine, on the back blade i will remove the cutting bar and replace with 3/4 UHMW, I also have some 5/8 x6x6 UHMW, that im going to heat up and form to the shoes of the back blade, then counter sink 3 bolts to attatch it to shoes. I will post picts when im done, soon as it warms up in northern MI.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Power - please do post some pictures.

My experience UHMWP is rugged stuff, and it’s “slick” on surfaces.

I built my liners such that they could be rotated 180 degrees. I don’t recall the mounting of your shoes, but reversibility might be something to think about.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I was going to put a shoe on the factory snowblower skids, but instead im going to remove the factory skids and use 1” x 4” x14” black UHMW turned on edge, if i have to replace it every couple years thats fine, on the back blade i will remove the cutting bar and replace with 3/4 UHMW, I also have some 5/8 x6x6 UHMW, that im going to heat up and form to the shoes of the back blade, then counter sink 3 bolts to attatch it to shoes. I will post picts when im done, soon as it warms up in northern MI.
For the back blade cutting edge get some socket head bolts (flat or button) to attached the UHMW edge. After a few years of swapping edges back and forth I having problem with the UHMW edge holding the carriage bolt heads. Will get some socket head bolts for next year.