PTO oil seal leak

rvmdad

Equipment
l3000
Feb 17, 2020
Flemington
I need to replace the PTO oil seal on a Kubota L3000. I have not done this before and notice that there is a coupler at the end of the PTO shaft. Will the coupler come off when the PTO shaft is removed and if it does, how difficult is it to get to it and reinstall? I am also going to try parking the tractor facing down on a hill hoping that I won't have to drain the transmission fluid. Any suggestions on this procedure? Thank you for your help.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I believe you have to remove the rear case cover to access the seal so you have to drain the case. What you describe only works when changing the output shaft on a 2 speed PTO (what I do). Far as I know, the only 'coupler' is internal, the clutch pack to pto gear set drive shaft is splined and couples to the gear set. Case is easy to remove. Just be sure to use Kubota 3 bond on the mating surfaces as there is no gasket (at least not on my units).

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Do you actually have some kind of external coupler on the PTO shaft or is it an over run clutch? If it's an over run clutch it may be removed from the PTO shaft in the same manner that the PTO is disconnected - push the release and slide it off.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
replaced a shaft in a 3000 last year. Took about an hour if I remember right. Real simple. Worst part is draining and then refilling the oil; and I suggest draining it all from the drain bolts on bottom of the transmission cases. If you don't drain them all you'll have a little left over when you pull the shaft assembly out and it tends to make a mess-and oil left on the case and flange will affect how well the sealant will cure/stick to the surfaces.

The couple will come off; whatever coupler it is. L3000 just has a shaft sticking out of the back of the case in factory form. It's likely that it's probably got an overrun on it; a lot of folks put them on.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
replaced a shaft in a 3000 last year. Took about an hour if I remember right. Real simple. Worst part is draining and then refilling the oil; and I suggest draining it all from the drain bolts on bottom of the transmission cases. If you don't drain them all you'll have a little left over when you pull the shaft assembly out and it tends to make a mess-and oil left on the case and flange will affect how well the sealant will cure/stick to the surfaces.

The couple will come off; whatever coupler it is. L3000 just has a shaft sticking out of the back of the case in factory form. It's likely that it's probably got an overrun on it; a lot of folks put them on.
Saves the PTO brake especially on the M's without the upgraded clutch pack.