thread specs for D950 fuel injectors

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Which thread - there are 3 different threads depending on the part of the injector you are interested in as far as I know.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I believe that part of the injector of your D950 is the same as the S2600 engine - which is what I have - in which case the thread (in cylinder head) is M24x2.0 Would pay to find some way of cross-checking that. If you're looking at buying a compression tester, the kit I bought had the M24x2.0 adapter but it was too short so I had to get it modified. There was another adapter that was right length and shape, but incompatible thread... M24x1.5. Sing out if you want info on that aspect.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Knowing what you need the spec for would help a lot! ;)

Like i have stripped / crossed threads that I need to tap.
or
I need to find the proper compression adapter.
or
I'm looking at making a air compressor out of and old engine and want to tap off the ports.

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
Knowing what you need the spec for would help a lot! ;)

Like i have stripped / crossed threads that I need to tap.
or
I need to find the proper compression adapter.
or
I'm looking at making a air compressor out of and old engine and want to tap off the ports.
The motor is stuck. I wanted to force diesel fuel into the cylinders to loosen the rings

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The motor is stuck. I wanted to force diesel fuel into the cylinders to loosen the rings
Awwww, this is why info is a good thing.

Doing that would be about the worst thing you could possibly do, you would just break something!

The best thing you could do is use a mix of 50/50 ATF and Acetone, pull the injectors out and pour it in, but do not force it.

Your odds of it working are really low.
You're probably going to have to tear it down to get it freed up.

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
pet peeve of mine is when a request for information is posted, and the replies are negative advice.

I wish I knew what the thread size is for a D950 injector.
What I do know about them is that there are no adapters that fit in the "Harbor Fright" style compression testing kit ;-)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
pet peeve of mine is when a request for information is posted, and the replies are negative advice.

What I do know about them is that there are no adapters that fit in the "Harbor Fright" style compression testing kit ;-)
Well it might be negative advice to you, but it's good and safe advice for the OP.

And I don't know what kit you have, but my kit has the adapter for the Dx50 series engines.

I didn't know the size till I looked up the adapter in the parts list for the kit, 93644, M24-2.0.
Bottom left in the picture:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Diesel-Engine-Compression-Tester-20-Pc-62594.html

Last edited:

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ

Pardon me sir, your first sentence is puzzling, was there some negative advice? If so would you be kind enough to identify it for me? I'm keen to learn and to offer constructive advice, what was negative about any of it from me or Wolfman?

Thank you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
How do you know it’s rings that have it locked up?

The starter motor is pretty powerful and can move simple stuck rings. Are you sure there’s not some other reason it’s stuck?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Its already been soaking for six months. I wasn't going to use high pressure, I figure 100 PSI might help loosen the rings
I applaud your effort and different thinking, but it probably won't work, the last engine that was stuck like that, it took a sledge during the rebuild and a 2x4 to break the piston loose.

If it's stuck that bad odds are that the liner and piston are damaged and the engine will need rebuilt. :(

It's not too bad of a rebuild.