Help picking grapple for L2501

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
Hi all, its been a while since I have been on the forum. I am finally taking the grapple plunge with my L2501.

I have ordered a Land Pride 3rd function kit from Messicks - optimistic I can install this myself and save a few bucks.

On the grapple itself I'm much less certain. It may come down to local availability. I have a week off starting 4/22 with lots of grappling planned, so I need something before then.

Visited one dealer today and was recommended the land pride sgc0554 (the only unit in stock, albeit at another location an hour away). LP recommends this for BX tractors. But it is roughly the same size and weight as an EA wicked grapple. So Im wondering if it would be fine for my l2501 w/525 loader. Any ideas? Anyone using this grapple on a bigger tractor? I assume it is at least "compatible," ie that the hydraulics/connections would work.

Ultimately its also likely to be the cheapest option I think, was quoted 1500. My use is cleaning up brush and wood debris - logs, branches, scraping up roots/underbrush, occassionally perhaps some large-ish rocks.

I welcome any input/ideas. I need to do some more research to find out what is available locally. (Southern NH).

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
SCG0554 is for a BX. I would probably not go below a SCG06 (which is for a B).

The 0554 weights 180 lbs...that is very light. The EA version has 30 more lbs of steel on it. The 06 is 250 or so. If you really really need it the 0554 will work. Just dont go trying to ground engage with it much (roots etc). The 06 is a better choice for your size tractor.

I also hate not having grease zerks on any pivot spot. As far as I can tell this model has none. You may want to check.

Last edited:

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
I have an email inquiry into another dealer for the 0660.

Im just concerned that it has very short tines on the bottom, limited digging because of a cross brace. And also its all smooth surfaces... lp 1060 looks better but was $1000 extra, seems like way too much.

I was wondering if a mahindra or other brand dealer might have different grapples to check out. Unfortunately the websites are all bad and nobody is open on weekends. I have friday afternoon off, i will try to line up a couple places to visit.

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
Quick followup; I ordered an MTL 48" root grapple.
https://www.mtlattachments.com/tractor-attachments/48-hd-root-grapple-hydraulic-brush-grapple-attachment-wk53p-mdlt3

Pros:
- About half the price of a land pride SGC0660
- In stock, should be here Monday, shipped to my house
- I like the design: Root grapple, single lid, 350lbs
- A+ customer service so far.

Cons:
- Not as nice / refined as EA grapple
- 48" maybe a little narrow, but probably fine.

Saw these on ebay and found a few reviews. They seem well built, and for my periodic use around the house should do everything i need it to do.

Price tag is very attractive... literally half price vs the quotes i got for the land pride grapple.

So the big challenge for me now is going to be installing the land pride 3rd function kit I ordered. Might attempt it this weekend. We'll see.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey there, I see it’s been a few years, how is the grapple? how was installing the valve kit? Im looking to do the same thing.
I just recently purchased the 60" MTL RG7 for my L3901. The grapple is very well made but at 500 pounds a bit too heavy for the tractor. The overhang from the long bottom tine design adds to the issue. I am using it but its far from ideal and given a chance I would trade for something shorter and lighter. The compact tractor model is 150 pounds lighter so better but still pretty heavy with a long overhang. Based on my single purchase experience you can't beat the quality you get for the price and delivery was fast and free.

I dont have the Summit kit but installing a third function valve is not complicated and you should have no problem.

Dan

SanGerLa Alpacas

Equipment
Kubota L2501 FEL LA525 , 48” grapple, York rake, snow blade, rear, box blade,
Mar 24, 2022
Brockport NY
www.sanger-la.com
I just recently purchased the 60" MTL RG7 for my L3901. The grapple is very well made but at 500 pounds a bit too heavy for the tractor. The overhang from the long bottom tine design adds to the issue. I am using it but its far from ideal and given a chance I would trade for something shorter and lighter. The compact tractor model is 150 pounds lighter so better but still pretty heavy with a long overhang. Based on my single purchase experience you can't beat the quality you get for the price and delivery was fast and free.

I dont have the Summit kit but installing a third function valve is not complicated and you should have no problem.

Dan
Thanks for the info. like the duel “thumbs“. that doesn’t come with the compact model, plus I use a trailer so it’s more just lifting it up, not carrying it a great distance. The other thing is “mucking the paddock“ in spring time.
I was thinking installing the 3rd valve wasn’t that big of a deal especially what the dealer wanted to charge. Thanks again Kris

SanGerLa Alpacas

Equipment
Kubota L2501 FEL LA525 , 48” grapple, York rake, snow blade, rear, box blade,
Mar 24, 2022
Brockport NY
www.sanger-la.com
Thanks for the info. like the duel “thumbs“. that doesn’t come with the compact model, plus I use a trailer so it’s more just lifting it up, not carrying it a great distance. The other thing is “mucking the paddock“ in spring time.
I was thinking installing the 3rd valve wasn’t that big of a deal especially what the dealer wanted to charge. Thanks again Kris
UPDATE
so I just got done using the grapple for first time! Best thing ever! Highly recommend it to everyone. I went with the “48" Compact Tractor Root Grapple bucket for skid steers” from MTL Attachments. decided to go with the 48” for the weight.

Reactions: 1 users