Which one from the B series...

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Hello everyone!

I live in the central Kentucky area. We have about 140 acres of land and out of that there is about 10 acres we'd like to keep nicer looking. Some of that 10 acres does have some slope to it.

I'm leaning towards a B3350, but would like some advice. I'm open to a B2650 or B2601, however I think the B2601 might be one step too small. I am concerned with the DPF issues I've been reading about on the B3350, however I'd like to have the additional HP for PTO driven implements.

We have about 1/3 of a mile of gravel driveway we'd like to keep cleaned up with a box blade. I'm going to add a 60-inch midmount mower to whichever tractor I get for mowing. I'll also have the FEL and I want the 3rd valve for a grapple. I'll be using a tiller at some point too.

Some of the 140 acres is wooded and we have trees that fall that I'd like to get cleaned up. So it would be used for that as well.

Thanks!

XSFMED18D

Equipment
Looking
Aug 17, 2016
Indy
I just bought a 2650 yesterday...for 5 acres. If I had your amount of acreage I would be looking at a much bigger tractor and maybe a zero turn mower.

I think the 3350 issues have been cleaned up but I would make sure they're not selling one thats been sitting on the lot for awhile as that could be on that hasnt had all of the bugs worked out. Good luck!

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I just bought a 2650 yesterday...for 5 acres. If I had your amount of acreage I would be looking at a much bigger tractor and maybe a zero turn mower.

I think the 3350 issues have been cleaned up but I would make sure they're not selling one thats been sitting on the lot for awhile as that could be on that hasnt had all of the bugs worked out. Good luck!

We have larger tractors for other work. I want this to get in to smaller areas that the larger tractors can't go.

I had a Scag Turf Tiger II for about a week. I took it back. Didn't like it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Just search B3350 here, and on TBN. If the countless threads regarding DPF issues dont steer you clear of that model, than don't complain about it here when you buy it and it's always at the dealer.

You have larger machines? Use them for driveway maintenance. B2650 is a great machine, the L2501 isnt much physically bigger, unless you prefer the mid mount mower?

If your dead set on a B chassis with 30+hp, in all honesty, you should consider a different color. Thats how little faith I have in the B3350...

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I think the DPF issues are largely due to lots of people using their tractor for short time length tasks and the filters never get hot enough to self clean (but that is just my theory).

That being said, I'm glad I bought my B3300SU before the EPA changed the rules.

My brother just went through the shopping process and was looking at tractors in this range (he was also looking at green tractors). He ended up getting a B2650 with a FEL and I'm pretty impressed with the machine. Since you state you have a larger tractor, my vote is for a 2650.

Good luck with your shopping.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Hello from Harrodsburg! Where at in Central KY are you? I picked up a 2011 B3200 with a BH76 backhoe used with 78 hours on it last year. It's a great little machine for working on our 5 acres we live on now. I'm also using it to help clear a 5 acre lot of woods we plan to build on.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I know you only think you will want to maintain 10 acres... but once you get that cleaned up, you will likely want to start cutting trails and using the rest of your 130 acres. I'm thinking B is too small for this property. An "L" would be better sized for your property, especially when it comes time to pull some of those larger trees. I'd also go with Brush hog instead of Mid Mount, which will serve double duty for trail cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I agree with other posters that you may want to look at a machine that is bigger than the 2650. You will likely be able to accomplish everything you want with it but it will just be slower than a larger tractor.

Also, I feel very unstable on my 2650 when taking on uneven ground. It might be an irrational fear of tipping but I am considering pushing out my wheels to get a wider base. You might want to look into that as well based on the description of your property.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
This tractor will be used for quick things around the farm. We will also end up getting a large L series or M series in the near future to help with the cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
We have 30 acres, about which I mow 15 acres every week, love the air and the radio and the heat, love my B3350 with a 72” land pride 3 point. The dpf does sound scary, but let her rev and it will regenerate a lot less, it’s got a turbo, it’s not designed to putt around the yard,and that’s when people have constant regents, when running hard, regen takes about 10 minutes, it truly is a great tractor and tough as nails, and it will handle what you need, I bought mine used 2015 with 100 hrs on it, front blower, 52” tiller, back blade, and a rake, and I’ll keep it till it or me drops in the hole, I do agre that they are getting complicated with all the smog crap, that’s life now days.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
There's no reason a B2650 or 3350 wouldn't do the job for you, particularly if you have a larger tractor for real farm work.

Things that I'd ask about a bit:

You mention 10 acres you'd 'like to keep tidier'. Does that mean finish mowing or rotary cutting? Big difference between the two. If you're finish mowing it all you'll want a bigger finish mower than a 60 inch mid mount - you'll probably want something on the 3ph, otherwise you'll be at it forever. But if you're finish mowing 2-3 acres weekly, then rotary cutting the rest a couple times a month, that'd be fine. You want to look at how big a rotary cutter you're trying to drive, and whether you're putting it on the back of the B or on the back of the larger tractor. I'd probably lean towards a smaller B with a nice mower, and a big rotary cutter on your L or M. I think there's a 72 inch mid mount mower, if I was mowing more than an acre I'd think seriously about that instead of 60 inch.

Same question really on HP and implements. If you want big implements, you need a big tractor (probably bigger than the 3350). But if you're really just managing the 2-3 acres, then a smaller B is fine. So if your tiller is a vege garden for the house, a 2650 will do that, if your tiller is for larger scale work then it's gonna need to go on the L or M anyway.

To me, if you have a large tractor, there's no sense in also having a mid size tractor. When you need big power you'll use the big tractor, you have the small tractor so it doesn't tear up your lawn, and so it'll go down narrow trails in your wooded area. B series is good for that, and I haven't heard anything in your description that really needs more than 26hp. Whilst I gather the DPF stuff is better these days, why buy a turbo motor with DPF when you can have that same motor without, and it'll run forever.

Without a little more detail it's hard to say, but I wonder whether the 2601 would be fine for what you describe - it's not clear whether you'd need the larger frame or the larger lift capacity of the 50, especially if you have a big tractor hanging around anyway.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OP's question is from a year ago...doubtful that he's still waiting for an answer. :confused:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I think the DPF issues are largely due to lots of people using their tractor for short time length tasks and the filters never get hot enough to self clean (but that is just my theory).

That being said, I'm glad I bought my B3300SU before the EPA changed the rules.

My brother just went through the shopping process and was looking at tractors in this range (he was also looking at green tractors). He ended up getting a B2650 with a FEL and I'm pretty impressed with the machine. Since you state you have a larger tractor, my vote is for a 2650.

Good luck with your shopping.
Bingo.

Design changes have been made, both hardware and firmware. Current model B3350s appear to have no DPF issues and earlier models are being upgraded as needed.

As with any DPF engine, it is important to operate the engine at elevated RPM. Such should not be an issue when mowing as it is necessary to operate at rated engine RPM to attain 540 PTO RPM.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Ugh. Should read dates, not just think it's a new thread.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I have a 2009 B3200 and it has ample power and NO DPF! I have been around diesels since 1980 with VW diesels, Mercedes diesels, Cummins 5.9 diesels in Dodge pickups and 2,3 and 4 cylinder Kubota diesels.
We bought a 2012 VW TDI diesel with the 140HP engine and DPF. It ran great but the emission systems, DPF's are a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen. We sold it back to VW.
My B3200 has the V1505, 32hp 4 cyl engine. I can run it long or short time and will never worry about re-generation BS.
My 2007 Dodge/Cummins 5.9 powered truck was built December 18, 2006 so it is one of the last new trucks before the 6.7 came out with the DPF and all of the issues that came with that emission junk.
The added emission equipment will be a nightmare down the road as it all starts to fail and will be very expensive to replace.
I would suggest finding a very low hour pre DPF Kubota or John Deere rather than buy a new tractor WITH the DPF. My $0.02 worth.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah the thread is a year old the point is new information has been brought to light so good on ya

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Everyone counts out the B2601 but I have made a mile of bush road, clear 13 feet of annual snowfall, mow 2 acres , skid logs and do firewood with mine.
Tractor never complains.