BX2200 won't crank

Spet0789

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 22, 2012
UK
Hi all,

Firstly, Happy Christmas.

I have a problem with my BX 2200 and would appreciate your advice. It hasn't been used for a couple of months. Now, when I turn the key to the ignition position all operates as normal, then when I turn it through to start the glow plug light comes on as usual but then the starter motor won't crank at all.

Just to exclude it as a possible cause I've charged the battery but I think it was fine in any case. I'm guessing it's an issue with one of the safety inhibiting switches (PTO or gear) but can anyone offer any help on troubleshooting?

I do my own fluids and filters but not much past that so far so please keep things simple!

Thanks,
Tom

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My first step, make sure its in neutral, set parking brake and use a short piece of 14 guage or larger wire to jump small terminal to large terminal (where battery cable connects) on starter. If it doesent crank you need a starter. If it cranks there is a bad safety switch.
Pto
Seat
Hst pedal
Those are the switches that prevent cranking.
Others may add or correct me if needed.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
My first step, make sure its in neutral, set parking brake and use a short piece of 14 guage or larger wire to jump small terminal to large terminal (where battery cable connects) on starter. If it doesent crank you need a starter. If it cranks there is a bad safety switch.
Pto
Seat
Hst pedal
Those are the switches that prevent cranking.
Others may add or correct me if needed.
I don't think the seat switch keeps it from cranking. It can prevent it from starting or shut it down in combination with the PTO or HST. At least on mine I regularly start it from off the tractor for the warm up.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I have a 2001 bx 2200 and I don't think mine has a seat switch. I have had a blown fuse keep mine from starting before but it would run until you let off the key to run position.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Don't forget to check for a bad battery ground. Sometimes lights will light but there are not enough amps to crank the starter.

One way to check is to use the black leads of a jumper cable. Run the cable from a non-painted bolt or place on the engine to the negative battery post (normal cable removed).

If the engine cranks then buy an extra long battery ground and run it from the battery to an engine bolt. I used the bolt on the right side of the engine that secures the engine lifting tab near the top middle.

If it doesn't crank then at least one issue is taken out of the discovery process.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Hi all,

Firstly, Happy Christmas.

I have a problem with my BX 2200 and would appreciate your advice. It hasn't been used for a couple of months. Now, when I turn the key to the ignition position all operates as normal, then when I turn it through to start the glow plug light comes on as usual but then the starter motor won't crank at all.

Just to exclude it as a possible cause I've charged the battery but I think it was fine in any case. I'm guessing it's an issue with one of the safety inhibiting switches (PTO or gear) but can anyone offer any help on troubleshooting?

I do my own fluids and filters but not much past that so far so please keep things simple!

Thanks,
Tom
Merry Christmas to you as well, we have a BX2230 that you have to shift the PTO lever back and forth occasionally to get it to start. You have three safety switches, PTO, seat and the Hi Lo neutral lever all three can cause it not to turn over. I hope this helps Barry

Spet0789

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 22, 2012
UK
Many thanks all for the advice. Have been away from home for a few days.

Bridged the starter motor connections as Tooljunkie suggested and it started. To cut a long story short the in-gear inhibitor switch was stuck and I eventually was able to free it up and from there on all was good.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

MartinY

Equipment
Kubota B7200D & BX2200
Jul 23, 2014
Bedford,UK
Thanks for your suggestions. I had the same problem and your suggestions sorted them.
Thanks.