Caroni flail mower & Quick Hitch problems

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This is really long, sorry...

I have a new Caroni flail mower that the salesman had told me would work with my Woods quick hitch on L3560 after I measured various parts of the hitch etc. Well it finally arrived, and it won't work without some major modifications to either the QH or the mower. The problem is that the vertical height of the top link is 24" above a line connecting the two lower links. The height of the top link hook on my QH as set for my back blade and landscape rake is 15" above the lower link, and the additional holes in the QH bracket would only provide an additional 3" or less. Not even close.

This is not a new problem apparently, and can occur with a variety of hitches and implements. I am looking for advice as I sort through the various possible solutions since I have not operated a flail before, or in fact any other PTO run implement, and this makes it a little risky. I am hoping the other Caroni users on the forum will chime in with experience using 3pt hitch to predict what would be necessary to successfully adapt a QH, or if in fact they would suggest I bite the bullet and take the QH off, not easy it weighs 100lbs. I have put links to photos and other threads I found in case they are useful to anyone else. The bottom line is I can find user homemade solutions, usually right after the OP made them, but not usually with any long term use to describe the subsequent pitfalls.

My general questions are what will happen to the forces on the lever arms needed to lift and position flail if the "pull" from the top link is not direct to this really high attachment point (which may require btw an extra long top link) but rather some improvised rig either higher or lower? will it not lift? will it wreck my tractor 3pt? will it go high enough to get in my barn? etc.

Here are the jury rigged alternatives I can think of:

A. via a flexible piece from the top of the QH UPWARD to the flail slot/hole attachment (gpreuss, would you think the chain and shackle method you use would still work here, or would there not be enough lift after the chain straightened out to get the flail off the ground?) This method might include some of the adapters that are on the market, either the tuning fork shaped ones, or the flexible top link ones, I am just not sure if they will fit or not.
or
B. if the flail yoke is cut down say 6 inches to be compatible in height, but hopefully avoiding PTO shaft (and if so I have to wonder why the manufacturer designed it so high and what the operational downside to this fix might be)
or
C. a downward directed bracket is bolted to the flail top link yoke to bring it within reach of the hook on the QH (could it jump out of this hook even if fastened into lower link hooks?) This is a solution proposed by this user
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/248786-caroni-tm1900-offset.html

D. something (really sturdy!) is welded or pinned to QH to bring a flexible top attachment device (or chain) up another 6 inches so it is level with flail and then use its normal attachment points, either the slot or hole. This (other than the sturdy part) has the appeal of matching the original lines of a toplink the closest. I haven't seen this idea implemented, any chances it would work?

These threads, thanks to LCWELL, Who is John Galt, and AO have pictures of the attachment yoke of the flail, in use directly attached to the 3 pt hitch:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18206&highlight=caroni+flail+mower&page=2

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14740&highlight=Caroni+flail

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18559&highlight=Caroni+flail

This thread has a picture of a Caroni tiller in use with a QH like mine and one of the tuning fork shaped adapters, but the height discrepancy doesn't seem to be as great for the tillers.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15967&highlight=Caroni+(quick+hitch)

Googling flexible top link adapters will yield 3 or 4 designs, but I have not yet been able to get dimensions to see if any would work.

There would be a picture here of my QH but can't get it out of my album?.

There is a huge long thread on flails in Tractors By Net.

Help and suggestions would be really appreciated. My Kubota dealer who kindly accepted delivery of the flail for me (now that is really service above and beyond) since I couldn't get it at home via the commercial freight has also offered help in welding up something to solve problem, but I am not sure what would work out best. or even second best...Argh! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I like the looks of the "yoke" style.

If the implement is much taller, perhaps the yoke can just be made taller and then the bottom part notched out at the implement end to fit into the implement yoke.

Or maybe the yoke can be built as a "L" shaped piece that reaches up to the implement attachment point.

Hope either of those make sense.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am sure that by this time you have been on the phone with the sales man and gave him a piece of your mind about the ,,, OH YEAH IT WILL FIT ,,,, MHO they would be coming out picking it back up and making the deal right

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Sheepfarmer.. here is my thought for what its worth. I say take the quick hitch off for the flail if its causing you problems.

Seems like when I hook up the flail, I do all my mowing at once, then take it off and leave it in the barn wing. My tractor normally has my 7' rake hanging off the back.

Now I dont know how much you mow, but if you only have to R&R it once a month or so like me.. I think it would just be easier to hook it up direct... that said, I've never had a quick hitch and do not know how difficult they are to remove and replace... but if you are talking about an extra 10 minutes once a month, thats no big deal in the whole scheme of things.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks AO, I am beginning to think that might be the best, although maybe not the easiest until I get a new barn with a smooth floor built. I can't figure out how important the flexibility at the top link is to the flail's operation, and so forth to engineer a fix. My shoulders are shot so I avoid operations that require pushing, pulling or lifting heavy stuff, but if I can get a set of wheels...or a pulley to lift the QH I might be back in business. Otherwise it is a two person operation.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Sheepfarmer.. here is my thought for what its worth. I say take the quick hitch off for the flail if its causing you problems.

Seems like when I hook up the flail, I do all my mowing at once, then take it off and leave it in the barn wing. My tractor normally has my 7' rake hanging off the back.

Now I dont know how much you mow, but if you only have to R&R it once a month or so like me.. I think it would just be easier to hook it up direct... that said, I've never had a quick hitch and do not know how difficult they are to remove and replace... but if you are talking about an extra 10 minutes once a month, thats no big deal in the whole scheme of things.
For most of us the 10 minutes even if daily is no big deal, but for sheepfarmer and some of us retirees its being sore three days later from the extra pulling and pushing for ten minutes to get the three point lined up. My quick hitch on a BX is only 35#, but I would be in no hurry to lift a 70# quick hitch on and off a bigger tractor, on a regular basis. Especially if I bought the quick hitch to make it easier on my body in the first place. Plus with the quick hitch off and on you now have to bend over to adjust the stabilizers. Do you know as you get older and shorter the ground gets further away.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would alter it or make a permanent bracket for use with the QH!
If you snap me a picture of you setup and send it to me, I'll post it for you and I will give you my take on how to alter it right. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would alter it or make a permanent bracket for use with the QH!
If you snap me a picture of you setup and send it to me, I'll post it for you and I will give you my take on how to alter it right. ;)
Thank you NIW, pics to come shortly!