T-Posts...driving in with a bucket?

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
HI!

Do any of you have any experience driving in T-posts using the tractor bucket? I watched a guy use a Bobcat and bend some up.

Our tractor is an L3700SU (L3800). We need to put up some new fence and thought it might be a good question to ask. I'll be using 8 foot T-posts at 1.33 weight.

Burt

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've never tried that, but I would be skeptical. Pushing is different than driving, and unless you have a way to keep the post in position under the bucket, like a piece of pipe fixed or welded to the bottom to capture the post top, then it is going to be an accident waiting to happen. How many do you have to put in? Driving them by hand is hard labor, but far from impossible, safer, and it builds muscle/character.
There is also a pneumatic driver available-
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...ku=511001&rct=j&frm=1&q=pneumatic+post+driver

Burt

Equipment
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Hodge:

I need to put in about 25 of them. My neighbor has a hand thumper that looks like the hydraulic one. Obviously, it's a lot of work.

I thought I could start them with that maybe and then thump it with the loader. It doesn't sound like a good idea now.

Thanks,

Burt

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
25 posts isn't bad, but that depends a lot on your soil type.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If ya have some bodies and a case or 6 or adult beverages,, maybe think of a hunk of pipe 3 feet long with a solid cap welded on top and a couple handles welded to the bottom( Heavy walled steel pipe and a plate of maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch welded in place, there is a lot of stress on the cap),,, and 2 strong young men can drive a post in pretty quickly even in this yellow clay and slate filled ground around here

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
25 posts isnt a lot with a handheld post driver. You could start them with a driver and push them with the bucket if you wanted to. I've pushed pointed cedar posts with a JD wheel loader and a bucket of rock or dirt but you've got to have somebody holding the post straight and brave enough or dumb enough to have thier arms under a big heavy bucket. I've done it, didn't say I recommend it.
Depending on soil, most T posts can be driven to depth with 10 strikes or less with a post driver. Don't make it any harder than it is.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A good hand held driver will driver t-post in most soil with ease. 25 post will be a nice little warm up but not that bad. I've started adding some new hot wire in one of my pastures, drove 14 posts the other day by myself. As long as you have a post driver it's no big deal. All you're going to do trying to drive them with a loader bucket is bend the posts, tear something up or hurt somebody. If you don't have a driver go get one. Between $30 and $40 dollars for a basic model and it will be money well spent. Keep it put up in the dry when not in use and you'll never have to buy another one. If you have a welder and some pipe just build your own, I did and it's been just fine.

Burt

Equipment
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
OK, I'll give in to the hand driver. Neighbor here will loan me his. Our soil is "unpredictable." Some is rocky, some is soil. It runs in streaks. It will be a good workout. Thanks for all the advice and comments. I think it runs a little bit too far to the questionable safety side to drive them with a bucket.

Burt

Onemoreokie

Equipment
Mx4700
Jan 29, 2012
Edmond, OK
We have done hundreds of t posts using the loader. Just cut a piece of pipe 18 inches shorter than post and slide it over before pushing it. They won't bend that way even in dry soil.

Onemoreokie

Equipment
Mx4700
Jan 29, 2012
Edmond, OK
Oh and if your tractor or bucket is small strap something heavy in the bucket to aid in adding down pressure. None of this is OSHA approved so be careful! The guy holding the post has to trust the operator. We can drive a 1/4 mile of posts in 90 minutes or so with two people if the ground is moist and not rocky.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I'd be interested in more opinions on this topic. I have a L3901 and live on sand. Pushing in 100's of posts with the tractor sure sounds like it would go faster with the tractor. That being said, if it's bad for the tractor or dangerous, life is comparatively easy for us for pounding them in by hand compared to those of you with other soil types.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
We've done it for years in our sandy soil. Used the flat bottom of the cutting edge, just keep it level so it won't kick out. Our grapple has a strong flat bar used for a stand, it works great too, the added weight is helpful. Large roots will have a tendency to try and lift the front end so go slow and readjust when you find them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hodge:

I need to put in about 25 of them. My neighbor has a hand thumper that looks like the hydraulic one. Obviously, it's a lot of work.

I thought I could start them with that maybe and then thump it with the loader. It doesn't sound like a good idea now.

Thanks,

Burt
If you think 25 posts is a lot of work, I suggest you start going to a health club. 25 post ain't shitte. You ain't gonna push them in with a bucket either, All you'll do is bend them. They must be set by impact not push. and your bucket cannot 'thump. all it can do is push. Bad idea.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since the last time this was brought up I built a tool that I attach to my forks that slides down over a T post. I pushed in a couple hundred post last time I build fence. It worked great and was a huge time saver.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I've driven a few wooden stakes with an L3450. It is pretty difficult to keep them straight because of the geometry of the loader but it can be done. What I did was go along the line with a crowbar and start the holes. Then I stood up all the stakes and pushed them in.
You do not want anybody holding the stakes in case they snap or in your case bend suddenly.
In my case I found that hitting down on them was no advantage at all because the bucket lower speed just wasn't there.
I would not even try it if I thought the ground was going to be any way solid underneath.