RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ouch. That hurt my L4240's feelings:D

Ha! I remembered those pictures. That's such a great machine. [emoji41]

It sounds like Don is at the B/BX price point and comfortable with it.

Let him get one good one so he can look at another...then maybe he'll have a stable like yours.

I only threw out the L2501 option because it’s not much beyond a B, but follows your wise recommendation! [emoji3]

Don - obviously chim is a sharp cookie and a good guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guy's conversation reminds me of a quote.

"Do the best you can until you know better, then when you know better, do better!

Same with buying tractors. You don't know you need the 5th tractor until you have the first one! Got to start somewhere.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It's a balance of needs, wants and costs. All of these considerations have changed since we built here in 1989. Along the way there were different projects that could have been done with rented or borrowed equipment. The regular recurring tasks have been:

Originally - Mow 2-1/4 acres. Maintain 300' gravel driveway. Snow removal on about 800' of driveways.

Several year period between - Mow 2-1/4 acres + about 5 acres for Mom-in-law nearby + 1/2 acre for neighbor. Snow removal on about 800' paved driveways.

Last 6 years
- Mow 3-1/2 acres + 1/2 acre for neighbor. Snow removal on about 400' of paved driveways. Snow removal on two parking lots at church. Starting this coming Winter I'll be doing snow removal on a third parking lot (local gun club).

Operating tools and equipment is something that has always been fun for me. The snow removal (off property) is something I enjoy, and do as a volunteer. It isn't a necessity or an income opportunity. I do carry additional insurance for peace of mind.

My current NEEDS are for equipment to mow 3-1/2 acres and clear snow on a 300' paved driveway. For those requirements the arms race could have stopped a couple tractors ago.

My current WANTS are to mow a wide swath, be able to help out with some volunteer work, have fun, be cool (and avoid bugs and dust) in Summer and keep warm and dry in Winter.

With regard to COSTS, the VP of Finance did a cost/benefit study toward the end of 2018 and with very welcomed input from her brother decided that since I reached 70 years of age my comfort and enjoyment would be worth the price of a clean used L4240HSTC.

With the re-habbed 90" Caroni it is really the best mower I've owned. The 8' Fisher power angle snow blade makes it a very good snow removal tool.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Ok Chim now you have peaked my interest with the L2501. I know nothing about it, I’m assuming a step up from the B series? They also seem to be running the 0% 84 months like the B2301.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Ok RCW now you have peaked my interest with the L2501. I know nothing about it, I’m assuming a step up from the B series? They also seem to be running the 0% 84 months like the B2301.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don -

I don't know much about them either, but they seem to be pretty well received. The L2501 is also low enough HP that is does not require Tier IV emissions equipment to meet EPA standards. The Tier IV equipment does add a cost to the L3301 and L3901.

The L-01's are kind of the economy L-series. The L-01's do not have a mid-PTO, which takes out the option of mid mount mower (MMM) or front-mount snowblower. Lot of folks here with all of the L-01's.

Here's an on-going review of the L2501 specifically, started by troverman, and he had a B:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41154

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
On paper at least the L2501 specs are almost identical to the B2650, but it's a heavier machine. It has a quite large engine that is very detuned - at 540 RPM on the PTO it's making 25 HP, but at higher RPM I suspect it's making much more.

If you aren't transporting your tractor (it's heavier) and aren't mowing (it has no mid-PTO and it's heavier on your lawn) and don't want a cab, it seems it's the machine to get.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Yeah now I'm even struggling more with the decision. I finally made the determination that the B2301 was the way to go over the BX series however I'm starting to really wonder if the L2501 might be a better choice. I mean I'm only dealing with just under 5 acres (3.5+ wooded) and it will only be used for cleaning the woods up, maintaining the woods, and keeping the driveway squared away. So do I really need the the extra lift capacity with the L2501 or will the B2301 be plenty enough for me, that's my sticking point.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Have you gone and sat on both? They're very different tractors, you need to feel them to understand which suits you better. At the size property you describe I think the B would be more common than an L, but you could make a case for either.

The L is quite a bit bigger tractor, that will either feel right to you or won't.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
I will do that Monday, that's a good call just to see how both feel to me. Now let's say the B series is the right fit for the land and myself, should I look at the other B series as well and not just the B2301. I was mainly looking at that one because of the great financing for it however if that one is too small than maybe it's not the right fit for what I need. It seems like the B2301 should be able to handle everything I would need it for.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My view is that the B2301 is capable of everything you want to do. Strictly speaking the BX is as well. So you're out of the domain of needs and into the domain of wants. If it was me, I'd want at least the B2601, and maybe the B2650.

The B2601 is a small step, and more power is always good. You'll eventually attach something to the PTO that uses that power, and if not it allows you to run at lower RPM or less strain.

The B2650 is again a larger machine (but still smaller than the L2501). It has some luxury features. I think the B2650 has a digital dash, where the B2x01 is analogue, some people prefer one or the other.

The capability of the B2650 and the L2501 are similar in most things, but again the L is a heavier tractor, and in a lot of tractor tasks weight is important - it's what gives you traction. It is a more economy machine though. You can ballast to get weight, but sometimes you have a grapple on the front, a set of forks on the back carrying something, and no easy way to ballast.

Anyway, going to the shop and looking at them all, sit on them, drive them. Work out what feels comfortable and makes you happy. As I say, all of them will meet your needs, once you get into wants then you're talking about what makes you happy.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The B2560 is a little bigger and has more options than the B-01's. For your purpose, the B2301 and B2601 are more or less identical. I think the 26 may have different tires.

I agree with Paul, it's a good thing to sit on some tractors and maybe take a couple test drives.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
Have you gone and sat on both? They're very different tractors, you need to feel them to understand which suits you better. At the size property you describe I think the B would be more common than an L, but you could make a case for either.

The L is quite a bit bigger tractor, that will either feel right to you or won't.
^^^Paul is correct, don't think you could go wrong with either BUT :confused: the pluses i see for the 2301,2601, or even the 2650 is the mid-pto and the size, you will appreciate the smaller footprint of the B in the woods, but you would enjoy having the extra weight of the 2501 to an extent anyway, large frame in the "woods" can work on an operator IMO , if you get the opportunity check out Tractor time with Tim on youtube, he runs the wrong color of tractor though :p i think a 1023 0r 1025 with a grapple in quite a few videos, and you will see how capable the sub-compacts can be, my thinking is that at some point you may want the luxury of the mid-pto and the idea of adding a MMM, don't let the tractors size fool you though, you can do a ton of work with the subs

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Michigander that was important to see, thanks for that. At one point in the video he’s lifting 7ft logs that are wider than I will ever be lifting on my property so that was good to see. Now the B2301 has the same lift capacity as the B2601 so I may be leaning now towards going after that financing deal and just get the 2301. I think that size tractor will do everything I need on my property.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don - I think your analysis thus far is fine.
Remember I mow with my tractor.
For what it’s worth, if I was going to buy another tomorrow, it would likely be a B2601. I only say the 26 due to mowing, and more importantly snow blowing, which suck HP for PTO.

A B2560 is a little big to mow my lawn, which is steep with a bunch of trees.
I have woods and a gravel drive also. I think taking PTO work out of the equation, you will likely be just fine with a B-01.

All that said, you need to get on all of them, BX, B’s, and an L2501, and see what works for you.

Trust me, take that as the voice of experience. I didn’t give a little bigger machine a glance....I should have....

Best wishes! Be interested what you think Monday!

PS - I have a 30hp tractor also, but it’s about 7,000 pounds and is lacking some of the modern amenities....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don, if it is any consolation, people choose tractors for the darndest reasons, I looked at my L3560 because it has the fuel fill on the side instead of the top of the hood.. I was tired of climbing over the loader bars on my Ford 8N with a 5 gallon can of gas. At the time I thought gee this 3560 is kinda big, but I bought it anyway. Well it turns out it is just perfect for most of the stuff I do with it. A few years later I went back and got a B2650 since I got tired of blowing snow with the old Ingersoll and the B2650 is the smallest Kubota with a factory cab and mid pto for a front snowblower. So two points one single tractor won't do everything well, you have to compromise somewhere, but err on the side of safety. Second, these tractors hold their value, so if your needs change you can trade it for another. Or get a second or third tractor. I kind of covet my neighbor's old Oliver...:D. Would be perfect for hauling my manure spreader...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I will do that Monday, that's a good call just to see how both feel to me. Now let's say the B series is the right fit for the land and myself, should I look at the other B series as well and not just the B2301. I was mainly looking at that one because of the great financing for it however if that one is too small than maybe it's not the right fit for what I need. It seems like the B2301 should be able to handle everything I would need it for.

Find a knowlegeable sales guy and choose the model to allow you to run the implements you want.