EA Grapple or Green Machine

BlindBuck

Equipment
B2601
Jan 3, 2020
PA
I looked at the a whole slew of grapples. MTL, EA, LP, Artillian and a few others when I purchased mine. The main factors I looked at was what I was doing with it, the right tool for the job, because no matter how much you spend or you save, if it is not the right tool you will struggle with it. A few hundred dollars either way over the lifespan of a tool is how I look at it.

Grapple configuration, flat bottom, vs root rake, opening size, gripping functions etc.

For me and my B2650 the EA was the winner as it was light and didn't compromise my lifting capacity. I went with the root rake as I was going to do some land clearing and having the rake configuration would help with that task.

A lot of companies build grapples for skid steers so they are a lot heavier and built for demo or heavier tractors. Some grapples can weigh in at 700+ pounds so just validate you are getting something your tractor can handle
Thank you, that is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm really liking the Artillian because I have a boulder project coming up making a retaining wall. The single grapple would be perfect for this. My hesitation with it though is the weight. In a full configuration like I'd buy (Grapple, Rake, Grapple) it would be 320lbs. That's where the EA looks like the much better choice being 240lbs. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to use it as well for the boulder retaining wall. Everything else I would use it for (logs, stumps, and brush) it would be ideal for.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I've been looking at adding an EA grapple with a WR Long 3rd function with a SSQA kit to my L2800... <snip> ....Saving the money would be nice, but not the biggest issue, I want something that I will be happy with. Would you be happy with the cheaper option if it was you? TIA
I love cheap... I also love my bolt-on single grapple (mainly since I got it used for $350). Add a tooth bar (also, used for $100) and I have a very capable grapple for my needs. ...and still have a bucket to pick up gravel.

Forget the kits, learn about hydraulics and you can price out what you need for less.

I added an extra 3 spool so I can run hydraulic Top-N-Tilt for my 3 point hitch, but you could plumb a single spool just to operate the grapple.

Something like this: <I only have one post so I can't give you the link> Google: surplus center single spool Prince MB11B5C1

So you can put that spool after the FEL. Remove the power beyond (PB) hose off the FEL, you'll need one hose to go from the FEL PB port, to the IN port of the new spool. Then connect the old FEL PB hose to Power Beyond port of the new single spool.

You'll need connections to "T" both the FEL and the new spool's the low pressure return to the tank ports together and Run new hoses to the front grapple...

I would show you my L2800 but I don't have enough post counts to post photos.... :mad:

It's not hard but you do need to know what you are doing.... or else, pay extra for the kits!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Thank you, that is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm really liking the Artillian because I have a boulder project coming up making a retaining wall. The single grapple would be perfect for this. My hesitation with it though is the weight. In a full configuration like I'd buy (Grapple, Rake, Grapple) it would be 320lbs. That's where the EA looks like the much better choice being 240lbs. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to use it as well for the boulder retaining wall. Everything else I would use it for (logs, stumps, and brush) it would be ideal for.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I havent put a lot of time on my grapple yet, but playing around with it, I did pickup a a 200-300lbs boulder with it. I curled over and and grabbed it from above and it worked fine, you can't lift under the rock like an Artillian would as the bottom is short. It was easy to place the rock after as well as the tines are out of the way, I am sure there are pros and cons to either method.
I dont think 80lbs will make a huge difference unless you are moving some massive boulders, and then you might be better using a pallet fork and cradling it

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
What did they give you for a lead time?
When I talked to them originally it was 10-12 weeks but when I called them in December they had lots of stock and it shipped the next day. Give them a call they are very helpful, great customer service. Travis is very helpful if you are not sure on something or want advice.

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
I put in my order with EA yesterday. I'm getting the SSQA adapter, the WR Long 3rd function, an adapter plate for my bucket and the Wicked 55 grapple. Travis said about 10 days before they ship. I can't wait.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
Dochsml, I agree with you on cost. I bought the Kubota third function because it was less money then some off brand, but it had steel lines going to the front and was exactly as if it came on the tractor when new.

The grapple I bought does everything I need it to do over the two years I've owned it. Cost was a consideration because I don't use it 8 hrs a day, only once in a while for a few hours.

This MTL has worked fine, and they were easy to contact and deal with, and cost very reasonable.

D2cat...thanks for this post. I think you convinced me and found my grapple to buy. I too had a problem with spending $2 K for a grapple that would not be used enough to justify that kind of money. I have no doubt the EA wicked55 is a Cadillac of grapples but cost cannot be ignored.
A $900 grapple is more like it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Gkk2001, you're certainly welcome. I've been working on a "hyd hose spring support" also called spring hose keeper, hose saving spring kit, spring mount hose kit.

First one I found on the internet was $60. Not for me! I'm on revision about number 5. I'll post up a picture when I'm satisfied. Made from misc. parts...no cost except time.

In all I've used the grapple I've never pinched a hose, or even watched how the moved. I just like the idea of keeping them up in the clear. Actually a short springy bungee wrapped around the loader arm does a pretty good job!

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Gkk2001, you're certainly welcome. I've been working on a "hyd hose spring support" also called spring hose keeper, hose saving spring kit, spring mount hose kit.

First one I found on the internet was $60. Not for me! I'm on revision about number 5. I'll post up a picture when I'm satisfied. Made from misc. parts...no cost except time.

In all I've used the grapple I've never pinched a hose, or even watched how the moved. I just like the idea of keeping them up in the clear. Actually a short springy bungee wrapped around the loader arm does a pretty good job!
I would be interested in seeing these pictures as well. This is something I was going to do once the rain finally stops. Always welcome somebody else to come up with the idea for me ;)

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
FWIW, I ordered my EA Wicked 55 for my B2650 and got it last week in just a few days. Only have a little time on it, but it made short work of a 60' tree I cut down and moved around. Looking forward to doing a lot of cleanup with it!

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
FWIW, I ordered my EA Wicked 55 for my B2650 and got it last week in just a few days. Only have a little time on it, but it made short work of a 60' tree I cut down and moved around. Looking forward to doing a lot of cleanup with it!
The EA Wicked55 looks just that, wicked. I try hard to justify it but cannot for my needs. I am envious.

FWIW, the EA website gives me a blank white page today. Maybe they are closed due to the crazy conditions we are all under today?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I have a Titan Attachments tree and brush puller coming in Monday, and looking at this thread it occurred to me it is a grapple of sorts. At least for picking things that are vertical. I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it other then brush, can't have too many attachments as we all know!

GA Tech Fan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701
Mar 23, 2020
Gray, GA
so back to the question of how big of an opening the MTL Grapple has when completely closed. When you look at the pics posted (from their website), is that the farthest the pistons extend? Meaning looking at the side view, is that as small as the "hole" is? Looks pretty big if you are picking up just one 6" tree trunk, etc. I called MTL (I live within driving distance of their plant :)) and the person seemed to say that this is as "small" as the opening gets. I just see a lot of "wobbling" around if you are only picking up one tree trunk. She said they had another one that closed down much smaller of an opening, but I don't see a picture on their website of one "chomping down" on a single smaller tree/limb.

So to the folks that have the MTL Grapple shown in the pic in this thread, is that as far as the top jaws clamp down?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've been working on a couple of projects, one being the hyd. hose holder for the grapple.

It's all fabricated with "stiff" I had laying around. My original goal was to have the hardware attached to the grapple, to keep the hoses in the clear to prevent any pinching, and to be off the tractor when the grapple was removed.

I tried several methods, lengths, ideas of mounting and none seemed "just right". I then tried clamping the spring extension to the loader tubing that times the quick attach plates. That worked real nice, but when I removed the grapple I had to pull the hoses through the loop and then the loop was still there.

So the final adaptation was to clamp a piece holding a quick disconnect to the same tubing on the loader. Then I just disconnect the fitting and the entire spring set-up stays with the grapple. I'm just using a hose clamp to hold the base of the set-up on now. It could be welded or screwed to attach.

(Got the idea of some kind of quick attachment from North Idaho Wolfman!)

Attachments