L4400 price vs. MX5100

Oaknbarl

Feb 24, 2020
Kittrell
Hi Guys

A little advice please. Been looking at 40-50 HP kubotas for the past 3 months and ready to put some money down but caught between 2 I've found.

L4400DT w/FEL QD, 4WD, ~300 hrs and looks well taken care of - $18,500
MX5100DT - 4WD, no equipment, no hydraulics, ~400 hrs, looks brand new - $13,500

Got 2 different Kubota Salesman quotes for FEL install on the MX5100 - $5400 / $6100 (both said that could change as tractor is used and they couldn't know what, if anything, has been done to it till it gets in the shop).

All being equal, I would like the MX5100, heavier tractor w/more muscle, but have to get the hydraulics/FEL installed. I started this thread mainly to garner opinions on the prices I quoted and thoughts on the FEL quote.

Plus, perhaps a side question. I want an older model to avoid the EPA junk and I'm not sure what the MX5100 has. I know it doesn't have the DPF but not sure about the rest.

Thanks to all who weigh in;)
Oaknbarl

22 acres
26HP Scag, 72"
Massey Ferguson 35
Massey Ferguson 135
CAT skidloader

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Keep looking. As the best advisor on this forum has advised another... get your tractor with the FEL already installed. It rarely makes sense to add one later when one considers the fitment problems likely to arise.

If you buy that MX5100 and then take it in to add a FEL your will be at their mercy when things “cost a bit more than we first told you...”

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I added an FEL to my BX (admittedly not the same class of tractor). The reality is that when I come to resale, the age of that FEL doesn't count. It's a 10 year old tractor with FEL, nobody will say "oh, but the FEL is only 2 years old". I'll never get the money back on the FEL.

Flipside, for me, I got an excellent deal on the base tractor. So I'll be OK. Your MX deal doesn't look excellent. It looks merely good. Not enough to make up for what you'll lose on the loader.

I agree, keep looking for the machine you want - an MX with a loader already on it. Check the online prices, I'll bet that's $2-3K cheaper than what you're looking at.

Of course, if having the tractor now and having 3 months use of it is worth $2-3K to you, v's messing around finding another one.....then I'd say that tractor sounds to be in good condition, and having a tractor is always better than not having one.

Oaknbarl

Feb 24, 2020
Kittrell
Thanks, guys for the replies.

Choice was made for me as the MX5100 sold.

Going to look at the L4400 w/FEL this Sat(he's holding it for me). It looks to be in great shape from the photos but will find out. Given a choice between the 2, I would prefer an MX but I'm sure I'll be happy with the L4400 if I decide to get it. I've run one and it will more than fulfill my needs.

Not a great deal, price wise. More like on level with what I see in my area for similar.

I do know finding a Kubota 40-50 HP <1000 hrs in good condition within 200 miles of me is few and far between.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I think that was a blessing. I purchased a 4WD, L4400HST in June with 580 hours and I can tell you it's a great tractor. I'm not an expert, I have used tractors for years but this was my first purchase.

I'd work on that price. I purchased the tractor with FEL, Bush Hog finish mower and Bush Hog cutter, 12" Speedco post hole digger, spreader and disk for $17,000.00, delivered to my door. I got lucky. They had it used (obviously) at the Kubota dealer with all the attachments. The guy moved to the city and didn't need it any longer.

I have used that tractor like no ones business and not had a single problem. Changed all the fluids and keep it greased...so far so good.

Good luck