I screwed up again

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sigh. I tried to put a handle up on a wall to use for balance going down the basement stairs, pried up the crumby paneling and peeked behind to make sure I had some wood underneath, thought I was good to go and drilled a pilot hole into a water line, probably part of the circulating hot water heating system. Good news I guess is I like the plumbers, nice company, and I wanted to redo that stairwell, really shabby. Bad news is boy do I feel stupid. I thought I knew where the line was. Hope all those guys come in Monday to get the voicemail messages I left. :eek::(

I'd like to get right in there and rip the paneling out, but probably not a good idea.

Any kind words or suggestions appreciated. I assume the bit with the hole has to be cut out and a new piece soldered in? Copper pipe.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
sheep - you're not the first, nor last to do that. Ask me how I know....:eek:

Regardless of the repair, I'm more concerned whether your system had an anti-freeze additive?

I know your weather is similar to mine. Our system has anti-freeze. Once you "open" or drain the boiler's system, the anti-freeze might be lost.

You might be able to repair quickly, but make sure you have the same protection (e.g., antifreeze) that you may have had before.

Again, that's if your system had anti-freeze. Many don't....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have no words of wisdom and we heat with forced air when we don't have the corn burner running. I actually run them both at the same time. if I had to buy corn or wood pellets, the propane is so cheap I wouldn't run it at all but, the corn is free and I buy 1 pallet of pellets for an entire year, 218 bucks.

Nice to have a fire in the bio mass stove and all the cats park their bodies around it. So do the pups.

All our plumbing is in PEX anyway. Stuff is super easy to work with.

We keep the house at 70 all the time, sometimes a bit warmer. Being old requires a warm abode.

If you drive by the house and the wind is right, smells like someone is popping popcorn.

When my in laws were alive and lived in East Lansing, they had hot water baseboard heat and it seemed ti me at least to always be having issues. Forced air in my view is less complex and we have a +90 condensing furnace anyway, very miserly on propane.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sheepfarmer, when I read your title I had a lump in my throat and a bid of concern. When you said you were working on a handle on the wall for balance, I could only imagine you stumbling and going down and having some physical challenge. You drilling a hole in your water line was a relief. All problems are relative! Call the plumber, get it fixed, and quit picking on yourself!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope you aint the first,, I know a guy that drove 4 nails through the same pipe :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nope you aint the first,, I know a guy that drove 4 nails through the same pipe :rolleyes:
I was installing a fire alarm system in a daycare that was in an old house that was being remodeled. They went with radiant heat.

Flooring company came in to install hardwood flooring. They used too long of a nail and managed to stab every piece of pipe put under the floor for the radiant heat. Then they didn't clean out the collection bags for their floor sanders and caught the place on fire.

My fire alarm system worked, as well as the sprinkler system. Flooring company had to pay for another remodel as well as another flooring company to come and and finish their work :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well life is looking up, BIL of plumber came over and we ripped off the paneling and cleared a route to fix the pipe. Quarter inch to either side I'd have hit the wood and not the pipe, it was sandwiched between two pieces of scrap wood. Now with the studs, block wall and mouse chewed insulation showing, there is strong incentive to fix that stairwell and put in some hand rails. Hope they can find time ... so much to do around here. :rolleyes:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
While the paneling is off, stop by your local electrical supplier and grab a quantity of metal "stud guards" (aka "shield plate" or "nail stop"). Place one over every place a wire or pipe penetrates a stud.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
At least you got it good. I was talking to the cable guy years ago. He was putting a line in through my wall. I made a joking comment about him hitting something. He said he's been lucky, but he did nick a copper line one time just enough to make it barely leak. It leaked for a long time before it was found doing a good bit of damage to the subfloor.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yup, nice neat hole right in the middle. Imagine my surprise when I pulled the drill bit back and water gushed out of the hole :eek:

RCW, no antifreeze in this system. No heat and you have to drain the pipes. Or keep it warm some other way. First long winter power failure I had here, 30 years ago, I managed keeping a fire going in the fireplace for 5 days. Then I got a generator. Good news is new heat pumps are adequate for most of the house, and I can isolate this zone, and it will stay above freezing.

Torch, thanks for tip on "nail stops" I didn't know about them. As I have mentioned before I hate learning things the hard way, but it beats not learning at all.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Yusss, done the same myself :) When we moved into our current house I used a thermal imaging camera to trace the hot water pipes (had to run hot water for about 1/4 hour to heat the interior of the wall enough to get a visible signature). So at least I can nail and screw into the wall in other places without too much worry. Just got to hope the cold water pipes run somewhere near the hot water pipes...

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Sorry that you messed up. But like someone else said i was afraid you went head over heels down the stairs.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My plumber came in and we ripped out the shower and installed a new 3 piece. Connected pex to copper with sharkbite fittings those things are slick!

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Did the same drill smack dab into the middle of the copper pipe trick when pilot hole drilling for a earthquake strap for a water heater.
Couldn't have been better centered if I tried!
That's when I learned about "nail plates"....that were supposed to be there to begin with. (I bought the house)

Shark Bites are AWESOME!

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Shark Bites are AWESOME!
Because of the location and time restraints I recently used shark bite fittings for the first time to "temporarily" repair a damaged copper heating line. I was kind of freaked when I discovered that the repair can twist and doesn't have a solid feel to it.
When I went back to put a permanent fix on it I couldn't easily get it apart. It doesn't leak so I figured I wont mess with it.
As you guys know, trying to solder damp pipe in a tight location can be a real pain so I am now impressed with SharkBite fittings.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
They make a tool for removing shark bites, lil brother did a bunch of them at Moms place rather than try to cut and solider. That was right after they came on the market have worked like a dream ever since

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In a pinch you can use an open end adjustable wrench, often referred to as a Crescent wrench. Simply open it to fit over the pipe diameter loosely so it will slide, and gently push towards the installed fitting.

The little "C" clips are not expensive, just easy to misplace.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Good YouTube video called "SharkBite Fittings - Awesome or A Failure Waiting To Happen?" for anybody not familiar with the fittings.