North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Carbide toothed chain saw!
It will tear that right up without dulling the teeth. ;)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Like these:
Exactly, Lil Foot!:D I gave mine away years ago cuz I hadn't used it for quite some time. Now I need to fabricate another because I could've used one numerous times in the last year or two alone. I didn't have any pics of it to post. Thanks for posting your pics!!

Edit: Using a stone boat is the next best thing to having a set of wheels under the object you're moving! :D

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Pull from the rear drawbar as mentioned, but put as much weight as possible in the bucket to increase front traction.

Bruce

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Carbide toothed chain saw!
It will tear that right up without dulling the teeth. ;)
Didn't even know they existed. My next stop is Amazon. Ordered a Dewalt 20V sawzall last night with some pruning blades. Of all the tools I have in my inventory a sawzall has managed to elude me. Not anymore....

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
When I was a kid, my grandpa's old stoneboat (a VW bug hood) also served as our toboggan behind the tractor in the fields in the winter.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Didn't even know they existed. My next stop is Amazon. Ordered a Dewalt 20V sawzall last night with some pruning blades. Of all the tools I have in my inventory a sawzall has managed to elude me. Not anymore....
I have that one and use the heck out of it. If you want real good run time on a battery get one of the 60V ones and use it in the 20V saw. It is 9AH and adds just enough weight to make it not vibrate so bad when under a load. I have the 60V chainsaw and love it. I can set it down and not have to worry about it starting after sitting just pull the trigger and cutting you will go.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Strongest pulling configuration?

They are local to me so I would go this route,

budweiser-clydesdales.jpg

I am not sure if you could get them to travel though.

I miss all the old winter commercials from Budweiser.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
If my backhoe is on I pull things with the bush bar in the front. It seems very solid and low. I do not like pulling things with the loader bucket. If I had anything really heavy i would take off the backhoe and use the draw bar.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Strongest pulling configuration?

They are local to me so I would go this route,

View attachment 47105

I am not sure if you could get them to travel though.

I miss all the old winter commercials from Budweiser.
Back in the 70s they did a 40 horse hitch

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Reconfigured tractor for more of a pulling configuration, also started dismantling the stump root network with my sawzall and pruning blades.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Good job, that looks like it will work a lot better then the FEL for pulling.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Moved a lot of rocks using a sled. I found a sheet of good plywood cut to size worked well and did not permanently mark drive or walk ways that always get in the way. Painting them with floor enamel made them slicker and last longer.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Moved a lot of rocks using a sled. I found a sheet of good plywood cut to size worked well and did not permanently mark drive or walk ways that always get in the way. Painting them with floor enamel made them slicker and last longer.
Old piece of R-panel or corrugated-tin also works well if he fwd end is bent slightly up. (If pulled on a short-chain/strap bending it up is not even required as the fwd-end is lifted as it is being pulled.) Clamping a chain or strap to it with C-clamps or Vise-grips is a quick-and-dirty sled.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I love the idea of a car hood as a sled! I have a massive flat rock I want moved and I was considering using logs as rollers. It is the only rock in my field and I have it dug up and lifted it on end but the project stalled after that. I can't wait for spring to try this sled.
According to the farmer I bought my place from this rock has been an annoyance to generations of farmers. It was just too difficult to dig up and move versus just working around it.
Thanks for the great old method!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Isn't the ground frozen now? It would be easier to do with frozen ground under the sled......hood.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Isn't the ground frozen now? It would be easier to do with frozen ground under the sled......hood.
The rock is frozen into the ground. It is on end but it still in there pretty deep on that edge. Otherwise yes this would be the time.

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
Even pulling with a chain or heavy strap on the hitch can rear your tractor up and end upside down! I know the ROPS might keep you from getting mashed if you have your seat belt on but don't depend of that 100%. Call someone with a good stump grinder. I lost 5 big pines last year and no way was I able to remove those stumps with any of my tractors. :D