Front tires for snow

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I am looking into finding some 27x8:50x15 front tires for my l3301. I think some kind of snow tires would be better than the Ag tread. Any ideas? I have searched the web and have not found any tires I like.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As it is my understanding if your L is a 4wd then what you have be more concerned about is the wheel ratio front to rear. Remember the axles have to turn at the same ratios and changing out the tire size will muck that up, and den ya gots dem big troubles. What you have to understand tire size does not always equate to the rolling size, meaning even with in the same tire size one may be taller or shorter than. And this changes the rolling ratio front to back, I know it sounds like double talk, Im sure somebody else can explain it better

If its 2wd then what ever you stick on is ok.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Basically running different sized fronts WILL break Axles..... to start.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Aside the 4wd issue, I did a cursory search for the European style tractor snow tires, and couldn't find anything for cut sized machines.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Why do you want snow tires on the front?

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
Thanks for the tire sizing information. My fronts are 50% or less. Last owner must have driven on pavement or concrete. I wouldn't expect that much wear @ 1600 hrs. Need a new set before next winter.

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
How about getting a set of chains for the rear tires? If you have R4 tires, they make a chain that keep it out of the "valleys".

Last edited:

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
Re: rear tire chains

Rear tires chains sounds like a good idea. We often have deep wet snow falls. I will search for a set.

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
I picked up a set of these Duo-ladder style (which are the recommended type for AG and/or R4). They made a big difference during this winter for me, especially being I'm not running any ballast in the rears for more traction.

Was thinking chains for the fronts too, but my Kubota Dealer said Kubota doesn't recommend that. Anyone know why that is? Sure would help in steering while I'm pushing.

Sorry picture is sideways. It's how it uploaded :confused:

Attachments

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Was thinking chains for the fronts too, but my Kubota Dealer said Kubota doesn't recommend that. Anyone know why that is? Sure would help in steering while I'm pushing.
I think it is the same reason as not running 4WD on hard pavement -hard on the tires and drive mechanism. The front tires (in 4WD) are made to spin (travel distance) just a little bit faster than the back, and accounts for slippage when on snow/ice/gravel. Also, when turning, one front tire has to slip as it travels a different distance with the same RPM of the tires. Putting chains on both front and back (or even just the front) will tend to remove that "slippage" on the front tires, making it as if you were driving in locked 4WD on a harder surface, causing more strain on the transmission gears/gearbox/differential....

Last edited:

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
I think it is the same reason as not running 4WD on hard pavement -hard on the tires and drive mechanism. The front tires (in 4WD) are made to spin (travel distance) just a little bit faster than the back, and accounts for slippage when on snow/ice/gravel. Also, when turning, one front tire has to slip as it travels a different distance with the same RPM of the tires. Putting chains on both front and back (or even just the front) will tend to remove that "slippage" on the front tires, making it as if you were driving in locked 4WD on a harder surface, causing more strain on the transmission gears/gearbox/differential....
Good explanation, makes sense, thanks.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have a cousin that has a 45hp john deere , he bought chains for the front tires for winter. He has a steep paved driveway, it melts and freezes and ices over. He said the chains have made it possible to bucket all of his driveway.

kaze

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7000 Cub Cadet 1782 Cub Cadet 78D York Three point rake Woods RM 400 mo
Ags on the front of Cub Cadets
are reversed for better traction and steering in snow
Just an observation.

I would go with chains on the front.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I picked up a set of these Duo-ladder style (which are the recommended type for AG and/or R4). They made a big difference during this winter for me, especially being I'm not running any ballast in the rears for more traction.

Sorry picture is sideways. It's how it uploaded :confused:
Won't hurt anything in snow but you should not run chains on all wheels year round.

FWIW: Most tire chains will cause tires, F or R, to slip MUCH more easily on paved surfaces, wet or dry, if not snow covered.

BTDT.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a cousin that has a 45hp john deere , he bought chains for the front tires for winter. He has a steep paved driveway, it melts and freezes and ices over. He said the chains have made it possible to bucket all of his driveway.
What I with my M9000 with R1's. Chains on the front only, not the rear and I can plow with no issue... been doing that for about 10 years now with no issues but 2 sets of chains...