What's cookin' boys?

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
HEY Fordtech86 - - a buddy brought me a two pound venison backstrap. I've been out of smokin for a while and need some idea what to do with this jewel. I know there are lots of ways and means to do it but I don't want to ruin a prime cut like this.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
HEY Fordtech86 - - a buddy brought me a two pound venison backstrap. I've been out of smokin for a while and need some idea what to do with this jewel. I know there are lots of ways and means to do it but I don't want to ruin a prime cut like this.
Dont get me lying to you on that:D. RCW or johnjk might be the ones to ask!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hmm....I'm not the smoker expert either. That's johnjk, John T and others.

For me, a backstrap just gets pepper, a little salt, olive oil and garlic in a bag to marinate a while. Real simple. Want to taste the venison, so no fancy marinates, sauces, etc. for a backstrap.

Then, on a HOT grill w/ some more oil - flare ups okay - want it to brown some.

I'm shooting for rare-to-medium-rare, so it's not on there long.

Let it rest 10 minutes, then slice kinda thin - - 1/4" +.

Damn, mouth is watering just writing this, and I can smell one cooking....:)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mmm mmm! Sounds tasty RCW, keep those recipes coming guys, when it is cold out all I want to do is eat! The forecast this weekend is grilling weather here, in the 40's :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mmm mmm! Sounds tasty RCW, keep those recipes coming guys, when it is cold out all I want to do is eat! The forecast this weekend is grilling weather here, in the 40's :)

I was thinking about you when I wrote that; trying to be more detailed with ingredients, process, etc.

Glad you liked it![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Slice it open and lay 4 cheese stuffed peppers, roll it back up with bacon slices and secure with toothpicks.

(one handed) :(

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I do most of our proteins now with Sous Vide. If you have never heard of it, look it up, there is nothing else like it.

The main benefit is perfect "doneness" based on temperature and a huge window of time to do it. (if it needs one hour to cook, 3 hours will not bother it at all. Most steak houses now use Sous Vide for pre-cooking.

Here is last nights Ribeye. I has a medium rare all the way through.

ribeye1.jpg ribeye2.jpg

My favorite youtube Sous Vide Channel

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Hmm....I'm not the smoker expert either. That's johnjk, John T and others.

For me, a backstrap just gets pepper, a little salt, olive oil and garlic in a bag to marinate a while. Real simple. Want to taste the venison, so no fancy marinates, sauces, etc. for a backstrap.

Then, on a HOT grill w/ some more oil - flare ups okay - want it to brown some.

I'm shooting for rare-to-medium-rare, so it's not on there long.

Let it rest 10 minutes, then slice kinda thin - - 1/4" +.

Damn, mouth is watering just writing this, and I can smell one cooking....:)
I think you're right on track RCW. I'd maybe add some fresh herbs and a little red wine to help things along. I would do a reverse sear. cook to 100 internal on direct with the smoker around 350, then pull and get that fire up to 500-600. Put it right on the coals on each side for a 5 count. If you don't like it, I'll come eat it!!

For an interesting twist, treat it like a pork tenderloin, butterfly it, fill it up with garlic, onions, peppers and a bit of salt and pepper. Take bacon and weave it in to a bacon blanket and wrap that back strap. Smoke it indirect at 225, and bring it up to 125 internal temp, pull and rest for 30 min and enjoy.

Man, I'm hungry

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am bored after my shoulder rotator cuff surgery, so I tried something new. Baked Apples: cored apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, a few raisins, and a pat of butter on top.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Magic - I'm with Abe, those apples look great!

Maybe a little less brown sugar next try, or try a more tart apple.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Cant do pictures but there is a cast iron dutch oven with one whale of a cottage pie cooking even as we speak

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cottage pie is some great eats, skeets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What's in a cottage pie?
I can't speak for skeets, but I think a cottage pie is same as a shepard's pie.

Lot of variations, but a meat/tomato-based casserole "pie" with veggies (onions, garlic, frozen cut green beans, etc.), topped with layer of mashed potatoes, then baked.

Some use lamb, stew beef, venison, or ground beef. We usually do ground beef, as it's real quick, easy and good.

I think many recipes use canned tomato soup for the tomato. I usually wing it from scratch, but honestly they're good either way.

Good stuff on a cold day...

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I can't speak for skeets, but I think a cottage pie is same as a shepard's pie.

Lot of variations, but a meat/tomato-based casserole "pie" with veggies (onions, garlic, frozen cut green beans, etc.), topped with layer of mashed potatoes, then baked.

Some use lamb, stew beef, venison, or ground beef. We usually do ground beef, as it's real quick, easy and good.

I think many recipes use canned tomato soup for the tomato. I usually wing it from scratch, but honestly they're good either way.

Good stuff on a cold day...
You can do gravy based as well. Huge variations to the recipe. I make it without tomatoes or gravy. I do ground hamburger, a layer of corn and green beans, then mashed taters, and shredded cheese to top it off. I'll mix sausage in with the burger if I have some left over that needs to be used up.

I season the ground beef with garlic and cavenders greek seasoning. I hold the cavenders if sausage is mixed in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk