There’s Something About Running the Tractor at Night...

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
Timing of the storm and work yesterday dictated that I cleaned up in the evening after the sun had gone down. Normally, I try to get things done in daylight, but I spent some good time last night in the island of light that the ROPS lights throw. At one point, I just killed the engine and sat in the silence, surrounded by woods. It was a pretty cool feeling.

Some video for anyone who is interested in the light setup, but don’t buy the ones we did, get something else. https://youtu.be/pi7wzrzeHGg

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I only do that (sit on the tractor and enjoy the solitude) in the summer, out in a hayfield.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
With the sun setting so early this time of year I have often been out doing cleanup in the dark. You are right, it is quite peaceful if the wind isn’t howling. Like you, I would often just sit for a bit and enjoy it, or maybe walk the property while the snow falls gently around. I keep a flashlight in my pocket, but there is usually enough light to get around just fine. If it is really blowing and hollering then I wear my motorcycle helmet, toasty warm, and the visor keeps the wind and snow out of my eyes.
It is a few hundred feet from the barn to the house, so I always get a quiet little walk in after I put the machines away.

Jerry

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
With the sun setting so early this time of year I have often been out doing cleanup in the dark. You are right, it is quite peaceful if the wind isn’t howling. Like you, I would often just sit for a bit and enjoy it, or maybe walk the property while the snow falls gently around. I keep a flashlight in my pocket, but there is usually enough light to get around just fine. If it is really blowing and hollering then I wear my motorcycle helmet, toasty warm, and the visor keeps the wind and snow out of my eyes.
It is a few hundred feet from the barn to the house, so I always get a quiet little walk in after I put the machines away.

Jerry
I never even thought to throw my moto helmet on when it’s really cold and blustery! That’s genius.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Snow removal is most often an operation that takes place after dark for me. Depending on my schedule, mowing can also be night work.

Attachments

iancorey

Equipment
1979 L305
Feb 25, 2020
Berkeley Springs, WV, USA
> I just killed the engine and sat in the silence, surrounded by woods.

I can't wait to do this in spring when the peepers are going nuts. It's just too quiet in the winter.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I love the quiet of winter. Sometimes when cutting wood I will just sit on a stump and marvel at how beautiful it is and how lucky I am to have this moment.
Then again I feel just the opposite if I sink in a snow covered hole and get my tractor stuck.