Specs: BX vs B ....

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
According to the specs, a BX tractor has 8.4" of ground clearance and a B has 12.8" (measured at the front axle) .... "they" claim that a BX, when the mower deck is raised, has 6" of ground clearance under the mower deck .... so then does a B have 6"+4" = 10" of clearance under its mower deck when raised up? Im wondering because when loading a tractor on a trailer sometimes the ramps are short and the angle of the ramp to the trailer deck can be steep. Is there a considerable difference in clearance with a B2601 tractor since they sit decently high or do they not tuck things up so tight like on a BX and the difference is minimal ?? The more i read and learn, the more i want a B2601 than a BX ....

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I replaced the straight axle with a 4" dropped axle. THAT made load/unloading a LOT easier. Bonus is , the axle's setup for E-brakes,just need to find all the parts I 'stored' somewhere around here.....

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Well I'd be able to help you because I have a B2620 and a BX here, but we are buried in snow at the moment and I have the decks off and put away.

I won't know until summer, LOL

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
According to the specs, a BX tractor has 8.4" of ground clearance and a B has 12.8" (measured at the front axle) .... "they" claim that a BX, when the mower deck is raised, has 6" of ground clearance under the mower deck when raised up .... so then does a B have 6"+4" = 10" of clearance under its mower deck when raised up? Im wondering because when loading a tractor on a trailer sometimes the ramps are short and the angle of the ramp to the trailer deck can be steep. Is there a considerable difference in clearance with a B tractor or since they sit decently high or do they not tuck things up so tight like on a BX and the difference is minimal ?? The more i read and learn, the more i want a B2601 than a BX ....
The BX uses a suspended MMM, whereas the B uses a terrain following MMM. Accordingly, one cannot make such assumptions.

The ground clearance between the surface and the gage wheels on a B will depend upon how the gage wheels are adjusted.

Additionally, the terrain following MMM used on Bs is significantly deeper in order to provide greater grass clearance and improved performance.

Depending upon gage wheel adjustment, you may well find less ground clearance on a B than on a BX.

SDT

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The BX uses a suspended MMM, whereas the B uses a terrain following MMM. Accordingly, one cannot make such assumptions.

The ground clearance between the surface and the gage wheels on a B will depend upon how the gage wheels are adjusted.

Additionally, the terrain following MMM used on Bs is significantly deeper in order to provide greater grass clearance and improved performance.

Depending upon gage wheel adjustment, you may well find less ground clearance on a B than on a BX.

SDT
I believe that only the B-50 series (B2650) uses "terrain following deck". The B-01 series use a suspended deck.

OP- I don't think you'd run into trouble loading a BX with a mower deck if you had a "drop axle" type trailer with long ramps (like car hauler). I have a landscape type with a tall gate and ran into issues when unloading BX23 with the BH on. I had added additional length to the gate and it corrected that issue. It did, however, make the ramp/gate extremely heavy. I added spring assists to the gates. Additionally, the longer gate/ramp made the trailer pull much harder (very noticeable).

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
SDT, im not making assumptions, im ASKING if any of you who have a B2601 know if the RAISED mower deck is considerably higher than a Raised mower deck on a BX. BX vs B2601. I was really interested in the BX tractors but the more I learn about them , the more im leaning towards a B2601, but not a B2650, too much tractor for me and my place.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I believe that only the B-50 series (B2650) uses "terrain following deck". The B-01 series use a suspended deck.

OP- I don't think you'd run into trouble loading a BX with a mower deck if you had a "drop axle" type trailer with long ramps (like car hauler). I have a landscape type with a tall gate and ran into issues when unloading BX23 with the BH on. I had added additional length to the gate and it corrected that issue. It did, however, make the ramp/gate extremely heavy. I added spring assists to the gates. Additionally, the longer gate/ramp made the trailer pull much harder (very noticeable).
Indeed, and I missed the 2601 reference.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, im not making assumptions, im ASKING if any of you who have a B2601 know if the RAISED mower deck is considerably higher than a Raised mower deck on a BX. BX vs B2601. I was really interested in the BX tractors but the more I learn about them , the more im leaning towards a B2601, but not a B2650, too much tractor for me and my place.
Missed your 2601 reference so thought that discussion of the suspended deck vis a vis terrain following deck might be useful.

I always advise anyone considering the BX series to consider the lack of position control on the BX, which is an absolute show stopper for me.

No offense intended.

SDT

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I owned a B2920, which is all but identical to a B2601. The B has much better ground clearance than a BX...but the ground clearance with the mower deck on is terrible. I frequently had trouble loading it on to trailers. Not uncommon to drag the deck and / or deck wheels. Nothing ever broke, but I ended up bending 3 out of four deck wheels...had to re-weld them. Mine was a 60" deck, if that matters.

My B2920 did not have position control (the B2601 does) and I never had a problem with it, even with plenty of 3-point hitch attachments.

Taking the deck on and off is basically a pain, and the height adjustment knob is basically junk. I just set the gauge wheels and then dropped the deck each time. If it were me, I'd go with the B2601...it's just more tractor.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Clearance is also dependent on tires.
Turfs will give the tractor a lower stance, thus lower lifted clearance height of the deck, and AG's will give it a higher stance, thus more mower deck height clearance.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada

SDT
Only if you have a B50 series. Which is not what the poster said he is looking at. The B2620/2601 is a suspended deck.

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
I always advise anyone considering the BX series to consider the lack of position control on the BX, which is an absolute show stopper for me

SDT
I've just come into ownership of a BX 2350 with a belly mower and a FEL This is a 2007 model. It has an adjustment knob for setting the mower height and it seems to only let the deck down any of your desired cutting height.
My question is - - how to keep the mower at its highest stowed position and still raise and lower my 3 point hitch settings. So far I haven't been able to get that precise informationout of the manual. Any help on this will be really appreciated.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've just come into ownership of a BX 2350 with a belly mower and a FEL This is a 2007 model. It has an adjustment knob for setting the mower height and it seems to only let the deck down any of your desired cutting height.
My question is - - how to keep the mower at its highest stowed position and still raise and lower my 3 point hitch settings. So far I haven't been able to get that precise informationout of the manual. Any help on this will be really appreciated.
Your deck should have provision for pinning (locking) the deck fully up, allowing use of the three point lift.

Not familiar with how this is done on your suspended deck model but instructions should be in the mower (not tractor) operator's manual.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Only if you have a B50 series. Which is not what the poster said he is looking at. The B2620/2601 is a suspended deck.
Interesting observation, ITB.

I was at my dealer this morning and took a closer look at a 2601 without installed MMM.

Both 2301 and 2601 models have position control but do not have deck height adjustment knobs as do BX models, whether mounting MMMs or not.

The 2301/2601 brochure clearly shows a suspended deck.

Not sure just how this is done. Perhaps, the deck height adjustment knob is dealer installed if a MMM is purchased.

SDT

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
And the dial has the "lock" position to hold deck up and allow use of the 3 point hitch.

7 years now and have not had any issues at all with mine.