a simple trailer build

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
One last thing about my trailer build, I just added up the expenses for the first time before filing them, almost 3K.... around 2500 to 2700 or so. NOT counting my labor, I have to hand it to the professional trailer people, they offer a pretty good bang for the buck, and if I wasn't so happy with the way mine came out, particulary it's empty weight, I'd say I should have bought new. Everything I looked at either not enough, or too much, trailer for my needs, mine is exactly right for what it's designed for. But, I like building stuff, and have the shop, and at least it didn't cost me more then a store bought one.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Some of the manufacturered trailers leave a lot to be desired in terms of quality. You got exactly what you wanted and you were in control of quality. Now enjoy your efforts!

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
One last thing about my trailer build, I just added up the expenses for the first time before filing them, almost 3K.... around 2500 to 2700 or so. NOT counting my labor, I have to hand it to the professional trailer people, they offer a pretty good bang for the buck, and if I wasn't so happy with the way mine came out, particulary it's empty weight, I'd say I should have bought new. Everything I looked at either not enough, or too much, trailer for my needs, mine is exactly right for what it's designed for. But, I like building stuff, and have the shop, and at least it didn't cost me more then a store bought one.
Its all about jigs and buying in bulk. Thats why you can buy almost cheaper than building, when it comes to trailers.

Ive built 5 trailers... and for no other reason than I had the ability.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
You are correct sir! A rider National, with a counter weight, somewhat blurring the line, after 4 boom trucks before this one, it's more crane like, at least to me. To me, a boom truck is mounted behind the cab, doesn't have a 360 degree load chart, continuous rotation, a CW, and the operator stands up while craning (?) his neck to keep the load in sight. BUT, whenever I am confronted with someone like you who is a REAL crane guy, I immediately agree, it's a boom truck. A nice big tricked out boom truck though. I have never heard a cogent explanation on the difference in terminology, and what about the newer "boom trucks" that are 60 to 80 ton? It gets tricky when I get a call for a job, and I have had a few instances when I pull up and have heard "oh, thought you had a crane", but since I first asked what the load was and how far it had to go, to be sure it was in my chart, I still have happy customers. Heck there's a guy in my town with a stand up 14 ton boom truck, who refers to his business as a "crane service", so no way (until around big crane guys) am I going to call my superior rig a boom truck!

But like the small aircraft I fly, when a guy with a much bigger airplane scoffs, I'll point out it gets me high enough to kill me, like my boom truck lifts enough weight, high enough, to be potentially deadly, so still a serious business. 99% of the gen public look at my operation, and think "crane", so I let it slide, for sure I freely admit it sounds more impressive then boom truck. How about "almost a crane?"
I mess with all of them, we are a Full line Manitowoc dealer so National, Grove, Manitowoc, GMK, and yard boss. from the way it was explained to me, a boom truck is any hydro tele machine based on a over the road truck chassis. grove still makes a TMS540E-2 that is considered a Crane because of the dedicated crane carrier where as the new National NBT60 is considered a boom truck even with a removable CW and 60US Ton capacity.....Ive got a brand new GMK 7550 with full dress counter weight, mega wing, and 259' of luffer in it right now....thats a Crane!!!!

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
That makes sense....my boom truck is on a Mack chassis, so I drive around all day looking at the hind end of a dog (Mack joke). It is nice to go down the road at 70 mph though. What's real unique about it, is that was bought new, as was the National, and the metal fab business that joined the two, (3 generation family owned, it was for their own use, then certified, I'm the second owner) whose main work is stainless fab in food processing plants, made the bed and under body racks all of stainless steel! It's a hoot when I'm around metal fab people, when they take a close look at it and see all the stainless. I think running boom trucks for well over 10,000 hrs now, makes me a better tractor and MiniX operator. One thing I had a real issue with was rotating while on an incline in the Mini, it just felt so wrong, but it seems to tolerate it just fine, with it's low CG, and it is of course a common way to operate them, within reason. I often think, hydraulics are one of man's best inventions.

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Its all about jigs and buying in bulk. Thats why you can buy almost cheaper than building, when it comes to trailers.

Ive built 5 trailers... and for no other reason than I had the ability.
Same here, but now have had too many birthdays. Works out very cost effective if one can locate inexpensive materials or have them left over.

Buying axles in bulk is another trick, or build your own.

Very difficult to match a manufactured trailer such as PJ. Like you say they buy in bulk, jigs all set up and away they go. Many have material delivered pre cut.

Building trailer for a custom application and satisfaction is another story, believe that was the intent here.

For OP, I trust your trailer meets your needs and you are happy, thats what counts.

ngm

Equipment
L3301 HST
Aug 10, 2016
Waltham
Hi
I am debating trailer purchase. If I could get away with a 16' dual axel trailer I would be happy. The 18' and 20' get pricey. I have a 7' woods backhoe on the 3301 as well.

What kind of weight rating should I be paying attention to?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
your 'typical' car hauler with 2 - 5 bolt, 3500# axles will carry an 'all up' weight of 7000# + 500-700 on the tongue, say 7500#. Deduct from that the actual trailer weight( should be on trailer sticker). What's left is your 'payload' amount. You should know what tractor and bushhog and 'stuff' weighs...
Actual trailer weights can easily vary by 500# or more, depending on how it was designed, type of fenders, etc.
Steel is better unless you're an EXPERT aluminum welder.... Galvanized costs more $$$, but marginally better in salty climates.