B6100 finding fuel air source

Billydesoto

Equipment
B6100e
May 28, 2020
Gulfport, Ms
On B6100, any advice on how to find source of air? I have to bleed fuel when tractor sets for few hours to get it to run. I can’t find any fuel leaks. Anyone know a trick to find the source of air getting in the system? Please help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a couple of suggestions which may or may not be helpful.

Usually fuel systems have a line which returns to the fuel tank. It is taking leakage from the injectors are sometimes air from filters.

I have seen fuel system designs which want this fuel return line to go to near the bottom of the fuel tank so its open end is always in the fuel. This ensures that as the fuel system cools down, as the engine cools down, if there is a suction created in this line it is sucking up fuel and not just air.

On the old tractors I am familiar with, this line inside the tank was metal and would vibrate off and then the operator was always having to bleed the system. There was no external leak to trigger some service but just constant air problems.

Buy some high quality rubber fuel line and bypass things like your fuel filter assembly. Install a cheap in line filter as temporary protection. You are looking for a time when suddenly you do not have to bleed one day.

Components which do not show a leak when the tractor is running can still have an air leak under low pressure conditions.

Feed the injection pump from a temporary fuel supply placed above the engine so you bypass the mechanical fuel pump.

Dave

Billydesoto

Equipment
B6100e
May 28, 2020
Gulfport, Ms
Thank you for the info. My tractor has a plastic tank and the return does empty in to the top of the tank. First I will try sending that line down to the bottom and see if the is the fix. If not I will try the bypass of the filter and then bypass the fuel pump. Hopefully i will be able to track it down. Thanks for your help.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I had a fuel filter once that did not leak fluid but it such air. Pulled it off for failed to find anything else, wiped the seals very carefully and reinstalled and solve the issue. Did not find anything on the seals.