New guy waiting on tractor and a few questions

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
New here, first post. Waiting on delivery of new b2650. Should be delivered in next week or so. I could call and ask the dealer, but figured this would be a good first post. Can I mow in reverse without doing anything like a reverse override switch? All of the smaller units I have used in the past few years have some type of a mow in reverse switch. I am not new to tractors, just new to Kubota. I haven't seen anything posted in any of the forums about it and am curious as to how it will be with this tractor. Secondly, would I be at the upper end of capacity with a 5 ft 3pt rototiller? I see on Land Prides page they have a chart of what is recommended for certain models of tractor and it looks like it is listed as a yes, it will work. I just am looking for some real experience advice on this one. I have a 50hp John Deere 5103 that I could use a larger tiller on of the 2650 is not liking it. Looking forward to getting the machine and starting a bunch of new projects with it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats on your new machine!

No problem mowing in reverse, There is nothing special you would need to do that I'm aware of.

Can't answer your tiller question factually, but I think you'd be ok with a 5 footer if you were to take it easy. (slow, smaller bites).

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to OTT!

A reverse-override won't be an issue as your tractor will mow in reverse.

It will however have several over safety switches that can sometimes cause some grief starting, etc., but you will learn about them quickly. They're not a problem really, but you just need some seat time to get used to them.

They are a great tractor - - I've had my BX for just over 7 years.

As far as tiller I'm no help. But if Landpride says a 60" is suitable should be okay as Kubota owns Landpride now.

There are many owners of B2650's here on OTT, I would take their experienced word over mine.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Something may want to keep in mind.

I use my L4600 as a garden tractor, making and hilling rows, disking, tilling, everything.

The outside rear tire width is right at 60" so that width disk, tiller, row bedder is all setup for that, my "tracks" are covered.

I may have 4 rows then a middle to ride down between rows, aids in picking veggies hauling water etc. After the 4th row I drive tractor along then make my next row riding along the outside track leaving 5' "middle". I can run my disk or tiller along the middle to cut in grass that grows but generally not much grows there because I ride there a lot tending to the garden.

Just throwing this out their for you to think about not knowing all you intend to do.

I too am always looking a bigger disk and tiller to make things faster when I'm not gardening and just breaking it up after the season and before the season when I don't have it in rows. It is about 3/4 acre is size for reference.

Sorry could not comment on tiller size but maybe the above will be beneficial.

Jay

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
If you contact your dealer would they go ahead and supply you with the operators manual? I would want to read every page.

Also I would order a WSM to familiarize myself with items that will need to be addressed as your tractor gets a few hours on it. You may not remember, but you will remember that you read it and know where to go for answers.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
New here, first post. Waiting on delivery of new b2650. Should be delivered in next week or so. I could call and ask the dealer, but figured this would be a good first post. Can I mow in reverse without doing anything like a reverse override switch? All of the smaller units I have used in the past few years have some type of a mow in reverse switch. I am not new to tractors, just new to Kubota. I haven't seen anything posted in any of the forums about it and am curious as to how it will be with this tractor. Secondly, would I be at the upper end of capacity with a 5 ft 3pt rototiller? I see on Land Prides page they have a chart of what is recommended for certain models of tractor and it looks like it is listed as a yes, it will work. I just am looking for some real experience advice on this one. I have a 50hp John Deere 5103 that I could use a larger tiller on of the 2650 is not liking it. Looking forward to getting the machine and starting a bunch of new projects with it.

Welcome cjh. As others have said you will have no problem mowing in reverse with a rotary cutter.

Regarding our tiller - being you arent new to tractors you likely know that there is no really hard "cut off" of what your tractor can run. The question is more about what can you run comfortably with plenty of power. The B2650 Owners manual goes over implement limitations (Page 7). For Roto tiller's it lists the maximum tilling width at 50 inches, and the maximum weight for roto tiller at 550lbs. I find that typically these limitations in the manual air a little on the conservative side. I would expect you to run a 5 foot rototiller fine in MOST conditions on the B2650. Going up to 6 foot however might would start to work the little 2650 and its 19.5 pto hp, but i bet it would still run it in a lot of circumstances. I would not go over 6 foot however.

I have an L2501 so it is very similar to your 2650. Same Horsepower, similar lifting capabilities, just more torque and weight on the 2501. I have typically exceeded the limitations listed in the manual by a little and had no problems. For example I pull a 76" wide disc harrow that weights over 700lbs. Both in width and in weight it exceeds the limitations but Ive pulled it fine. This is not a PTO driven implement however. I would stay at or just one step above what the manual calls for. I think the sweet spot for the 2650 would be a 5 foot tiller. This would be just a few inches wider than your tractor and enough to cover your tracks. I would definitely not go over 6 foot though.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I have the smaller B2601 I'm running 48" tiller offset tractor has plenty of power for it :D

19' x 45' is our garden thus tractor/tiller might be overkill :D

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I run a Land Pride 66" reverse till rototiller on my B2650 with now problem at all. Had it out again yesterday. Works great.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Something may want to keep in mind.

I use my L4600 as a garden tractor, making and hilling rows, disking, tilling, everything.

The outside rear tire width is right at 60" so that width disk, tiller, row bedder is all setup for that, my "tracks" are covered.

I may have 4 rows then a middle to ride down between rows, aids in picking veggies hauling water etc. After the 4th row I drive tractor along then make my next row riding along the outside track leaving 5' "middle". I can run my disk or tiller along the middle to cut in grass that grows but generally not much grows there because I ride there a lot tending to the garden.

Just throwing this out their for you to think about not knowing all you intend to do.

I too am always looking a bigger disk and tiller to make things faster when I'm not gardening and just breaking it up after the season and before the season when I don't have it in rows. It is about 3/4 acre is size for reference.

Sorry could not comment on tiller size but maybe the above will be beneficial.

Jay
Don’t want to hijack this thread, but Im curious in your garden set up. Could you post some pics somewhere here or PM me them? Ive had little luck here with a garden and multiple reasons for that. And whats the row bedder, pics of that too maybe?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That John Deere 5103 is a nice tractor. I have a friend with one and he overworks that thing with big round bales on each end!

The questions on tiller depends a lot on virgin or worked soil and type of soil. You can always take smaller bites.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
cjh, congrats on your upcoming tractor! You'll really enjoy working with the B2650. I use a 60 inch RFM behind mine and you'll soon find out that its almost as easy to mow in reverse as it is going forward. For mowing inside curves the forward direction works great as the mower will be swinging wide of your tractor wheels. For mowing around outside curves...going in reverse turns your RFM into a front mount finish mower for the first pass around that situation. Keeping your anti-sway bars set pretty tight makes that pretty easy with just a little practice.

Regarding the WSM mentioned earlier: Bring along an empty thumb drive to your dealer and definitely ask them to provide a digital copy of the WSM for your tractor and implements. My dealer was happy to provide that at no cost for me.

Regarding tillers: I use an older 54" Howard Rotovator behind mine because that's what I already had and it'll just cover my wheel tracks anyway. It's a heavy beast but works well. You should have no problem with 60" tiller width behind yours. But I would add: It isn't always just wider width that makes for faster tilling but rather the condition and type of soil your working in. A tiller that'll cover your tracks is all you really need and you can adjust your speed up or down to meet your existing soil conditions. A 6 foot tiller in sod would most likely take the same time or less that a 5 footer in the same behind your B2650 as you'd likely have to slow down more with the larger tiller. I till 2.5 to 3 acres here regularly with my 54 inch tiller in an easy afternoon. A larger tiller might shave a half hour off the total time give or take but so what. Unless you're mowing, tilling, etc. for 8 hours a day, every day the little extra or less width doesn't make much difference in the long run. Get what works best for you in your situation and enjoy it!! :D

cjh

May 21, 2020
erie pennsylvania
Thanks for the welcome and responses all. I didn't clarify my mowing. I have a 60" mid mount coming with the machine. We have at work a Deere 2025r with a MMM and that has a reverse safety switch that you have to lift every time you back up with the mid PTO engaged or it will shut it off. My smaller riding tractors that I have now have "accidently" had a mishap with those reverse switches and will now mow without having to do anything. The machine showed up at the dealer Wed from what I can see. They had to get one in since their inventory of ROPS 2650s were all gone. I stopped to look at it and I think they are waiting on the deck. The sales guy said he didn't have any of those 60" units on the lot. I did also change my mind and told him to put on the quick release for the front bucket. I did see some threads on here that they were on backorder from Kubota. I guess if that is going to be a long wait, I may just go back to pin on route. Only thing I will be putting on besides the bucket is a plow and I have to fab up a mount for the loader frame for my plow anyways. I can make the plow bracket a pin on like the bucket. I was just thinking for mowing chores, it would be quicker to just drop the bucket and mow instead of pulling entire loader off. I like the extra visibility/manuverability of tractor with no loader for grass duty.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
Taking the entire loader off for mowing should be fast and easy, And better to lighten the machine for mowing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for the welcome and responses all. I didn't clarify my mowing. I have a 60" mid mount coming with the machine. We have at work a Deere 2025r with a MMM and that has a reverse safety switch that you have to lift every time you back up with the mid PTO engaged or it will shut it off. My smaller riding tractors that I have now have "accidently" had a mishap with those reverse switches and will now mow without having to do anything. The machine showed up at the dealer Wed from what I can see. They had to get one in since their inventory of ROPS 2650s were all gone. I stopped to look at it and I think they are waiting on the deck. The sales guy said he didn't have any of those 60" units on the lot. I did also change my mind and told him to put on the quick release for the front bucket. I did see some threads on here that they were on backorder from Kubota. I guess if that is going to be a long wait, I may just go back to pin on route. Only thing I will be putting on besides the bucket is a plow and I have to fab up a mount for the loader frame for my plow anyways. I can make the plow bracket a pin on like the bucket. I was just thinking for mowing chores, it would be quicker to just drop the bucket and mow instead of pulling entire loader off. I like the extra visibility/manuverability of tractor with no loader for grass duty.
I would highly highly highly recommend you go with the skid steer quick attach on the FEL rather than the pin on bucket. The ONLY exception to this would be if you know 1000% that you will never use anything but a bucket on the FEL. The quick attach is just fantastic if you plan to use other implements on the FEL. My step dad got a tractor just before I got mine, and he went with pin on - and another brand. He is about ready to trade his in now after seeing mine with the quick attach and how fast I can swap through all the attachments, and all the other tools I can use that he cant. Its one of those decisions you would regret i think. Just my advice!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with Tornado and getting a quick attach system on your new tractor. Buying the pin on is like buying a new tractor with a cast iron seat. It'll work, but it won't be long before you wish you had something else!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm with Tornado and D2Cat - - - I would definitely get the SSQA....and that's spoken by someone that doesn't have one!!

The number of times I've wanted to just take the bucket off to mow, or use a SSQA set of pallet forks.....

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
X3 on the ssqa. I generally just swap between the bucket and forks in the warm seasons, and bucket and plow in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Congratulations on your new tractor! Rear tire tread width outside to outside will be around 53" on a B2650 so a 60" tiller should work well.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Location, location, location.

I have a B2650 and a LP RTA1558 and have run it in all sorts of conditions. I have been through at least three full sets of blades on the unit since I have owned it. I started using it with a NH1620 and now with the B2650.

If you are just going to be doing nice garden material, you can handle a bigger unit. I don't get to do many nice gardens. Most of what I use it for is breaking new ground, or tilling up lawns. Generally speaking it is pretty abusive. The B2650 handles the 58" just fine.