lowes

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK the dryer crapped out and being that its about20 years old yeah its time for a new one, off to lowes. The woman was less that helpful, says wait here and goes away, comes back with a cart with a dryer on it, here she says,,,, whats that? your dryer,,, ahhh I need it delivered,, oh I thought you said you were taking it with you,, no I need it delivered and the old one gone,, we cant do that,, since when? we wont start to deliver untill after june 25,, thats a month right? yes and you would be on delivery around the 7th of july,, SO what do you think I should do with all the wet clothes till then? put them out on the line... and I made a bee line out the front door, with her yelling after me are going to take this or not hey you need to come back... So I went to the local Mom and Pop store, that some how always gets forgotten about, got the dryer cheaper and going to delivered tuesday ,,,,,and screw lowes

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I have found that the Big Box Hardware Stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menards have issues when it comes to helpful customer service/help. A lot of the time they don't to much training on what a product is or how it compares to their other offerings. I do like Lowe's Kobalt brand stuff though it seems to hold up pretty ok.

Where I have ended up getting my last appliances were Nebraska Furniture Mart. They carry a boatload of brands and a bunch of different price points. Not to mention their sales staff have some great knowledge of what they are selling plus they deliver and install for free. Unfortunately there is a charge for hauling away the old stuff but usually I take it to the recycling center if it won't run or offer the old stuff to a friend if I am getting rid of the stuff for a different reason.

I guess the bright side of your story is now you won't have to worry about getting a new dryer for another 10 years.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Had a similar experience with Lowes and a refrigerator. The compressor conked out on my old refrigerator and had to get a new one. Shopped multiple places and found one at Lowes that looked right, but they couldn't deliver it for like a month. So, I told them that I'd come pick it up, but I needed them to take my old fridge. They said no problem. So, I loaded up the old fridge in my truck and drove to Lowes. Showed them the receipt and they went in the back to get my new fridge. I said what about my old one, it's still in the back of my truck. They said somebody else would help me with that and they'd go get them. Nobody ever came to help. Two guys came out of the back with my new fridge wanting to load it. I told them I was waiting on somebody to help me unload my old one first. They told me just to drive behind the store and I'd find a boneyard of old fridges and to just drop it there. I asked "by myself?". They informed me that they don't do that. So, I drove around the store and pushed the old heap out the back in the middle of their loading area and came back around to get my new fridge. My first instinct was to drive off without the new fridge like you, but I knew the wife would not be happy if I came home without one and all our stuff sitting in coolers.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Problem is Lowes and HD have driven out the mom and pops in a lot of places.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Past couple times I've hit the box stores for a new appliance, they haven't had what I want and have to order it in.

Been in the same boat where the washer crapped out, and a closet full of dirty clothes.

Stumbled onto a local mom and pop appliance store. Huge warehouse and stock everything on the floor.

Check out what you want in the showroom, purchase, then you have the option of scheduling same or next day delivery. Just depends on how booked up they are. Or pulling the truck to the loading dock and waiting 20 minutes or less for the gentleman to fetch your order.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Same here. Amy only buys from one local store. The deliver and take the old one, always.

Blowes and Home Despot are okay for walk in stuff but appliances, no way.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Just yesterday, my girlfriend bought a new gas range and had Lowe's deliver it. My buddy and I went over in the evening to get the old one out and the new one into the kitchen. All went well until we peeled all the protective cardboard and foam off it and discovered a dent in the right side, right at the top where the grates set in a depression. Something round and a couple of inches in diameter obviously smacked it pretty good. There was no sign on the cardboard box that it had been damaged.
She called Lowe's and talked to the salesman she bought it from and sent him a couple of pictures. She was able to get $100 knocked off the price and the guy at Lowe's was very accommodating and apologetic.
I'm going to take a hunk of 2X4 and a hammer and I think I can get it pushed back to where it will be barely noticeable after we put a little paint on it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The local mom and pop place my wife buys from, well not tiny, they have 3 stores, 2 in Michigan, one in Ohio, have their own delivery trucks and crews and take the old appliance out and install the new one and if it is damaged, they don't bring it, they have a scratch and dent section they sell that stuff at a discount on.

Nice website too. My wife bought a new fridge, sight unseen from the website, had it delivered (after their technician determined our old one was basically shot.) They have their own service department and carry their own extended warranties (which we always get). In fact a few years back my wife bought a washer and it was a lemon and they gave her all her money back (after a year) and replaced it with a better one for the same exact price.

We get every appliance there for the house and the rentals. I rent furnished with appliances included.

Durochers I believe it's www.durochers.com

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What my wife will do is go to Blowes or Home Despot and look at the appliances and get the model number and call Durochers and see if they have it and if they do, get it from them and it's most times less expensive than the box store.

Thing I don't like is taking the old one out and installing the new one (especially in the rentals. They do all that, all the hookups, everything and if they say they will deliver at noon, they are there at noon which is nice when dealing with tennants.

Too old to screw with that stuff anyway...:)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My lowes here is pretty good. The employees are very helpful. Its really the people not the company. Not delivering right now is also to be expected. I would have expected that from the start - everyone has over hyped this virus to such a level that it is crippling everything. It has amazed me how ludicrous the response has been to this thing on a global scale. But its like a black hole or vortex - once it all starts rolling it sucks everything into it as its natural course of action. Its like a mob mentality on a global scale. If you try to be the one person who stands up and voices some common sense, you are the black sheep and are barreled over. So, companies of all types are revamping their whole operation to fit this virus response. Companies who don't are blasted with negative press and reviews from all over the country. 2 Doctors who published a youtube video and laid out facts and figures regarding covid and how it compared to the Flu and other viruses have received death threats, been blocked by youtube, all because they went against the narrative. I watched the over 1 hour long video - I couldnt understand why they were being vilified so...It was a completely docile video, they just laid out data, fielded questions, were veyr respectful, but quitely advocated that people shouldnt panic, that by their estimation this wasnt much worse than the flu when all things are considered.

I say all that to say that this is not normal times we live in. Companies must adapt to this virus or be rail roaded out of business from the negative push of society now who jumps from outrage to outrage, and from one fear to the next fear. We are a society addicted to outrage, fear, and victimization. So companies like lowes cant afford to continue doing house deliveries. Many stores now are even offering "curb side pickup" where you dont even have to get out of your car. Some stores are refusing to even let people in who dont wear a mask to placate the masses. Mom and pop stores can get around this because, well, they are a one store operation and dont have to worry about social media and national news backlashes. This is probably the best time to shop at mom and pop stores.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Two months ago, our DW conked our and we looked at Consumer reports for suggestions and settled for a Bosch from Lowe’s. It arrived only 4 days later at the store. Picked it up & installed it myself but found that it didn’t dry at all. The return was painless so Lowe’s is fine. Just a bad product. Wife wanted a DW NOW so we called around for a brand that was second choice. (Priced $1,600). Went to our local mom & pop appliance store (they have 4 refular and 2 scratch & ding stores) Guy said there’s one at another location but it’s a scratch & ding so off we went.

Saw it and it had barely a depression. Not a scratch, not a ding, just a depression that can only be seen at a certain angle with the right lighting. Took us 2 minutes to find it [emoji38].

Anyway, walked out with a new, full warranty DW for $799. Great one I should add! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We have a lot of minerals in our well water (mostly Calcium) and it's hard on a DW. They last about 3 years and then they are done so my wife always buys a scratch and dent from Durochers and always the cheapest available because like I said, 3 years and they are finished. Think we are on our 8th or 9th one. They pull the old one out, put the new one in, hook everything up and off we go. Think my wife paid 400 bucks for this last one, it's an Amana, which is a Whirlpool anyway.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Our Lowes and HD are right next to one another. I was a Lowes guy forever. About 2 years ago I started going to HD because it seemed like I spend half the day waiting in line at Lowes. With the HD and their self checkout, I am in & out in minutes. Been quite a while since I've been back to Lowes.