Small displacement motorcycles

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep Ossa thats wht happens when you try to type as fast as you thunk
I've always wanted a Cushman bike. I remember when I was growing up, one of the kids on the next block, George Grayshaw, had a Cushman with a Kohler engine and a 3 speed transmission and it was the neatest mini bike I ever saw.

I bet they are worth a fortune today.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Any of you have, or are interested, in small displacement motorcycles?

I have other bikes but a year ago I decided to pick up a small street legal motorcycle. It would be for riding everything from local trails and dirt roads up to primary (55 mph) roads. My friend had been hinting that she'd like to learn to ride so that would be another use for it. In my search for a simple, light weight. motorcycle I ended up buying a Yamaha XT250. While there are other dual sport 250's out there with better specs this little bike just hit the sweet spot for me with its combination of light weight, low seat height, ample ground clearance, air cooled, FI, adequate fuel capacity, wide ratio gearing, and Japanese quality.

I had forgotten just how easy and fun it is riding a small bike like this. It's so light to push out of the garage or around a stump, the gearing is low enough to ride trails at a crawl but high enough to motor down the road comfortably at 60 mph. There's no turbulence or added noise from a fairing or windshield just clean air moving past the helmet. I find myself seeking out interesting little dirt and gravel roads to explore which is how I learned to ride many years ago on my first motorcycle, which was also a dual sport 250, so riding this thing tends to bring back good memories.

For anyone looking for a first motorcycle a 250 such as this would be what I recommend. What's great though is just how fun they are for experienced riders as well.

A friend I met, who happens to also ride an XT250, has traveled all around the U.S. on his, and he's 6'-8" tall!
I ride your XT250's older brother, the XT225. Actually, I'm on my second one; my first was a 1992 model that I put thousands of miles on. Then I came across this 2007 with only 149 miles on it - guy bought it for his wife but she refused to have anything to do with it - so I bought it and now have over 7000 miles on it. Has to be one of the most dependable bikes ever made - I've never had to do anything but routine maintenance on mine. Taken a week ago:

Attachments

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I ride your XT250's older brother, the XT225. Actually, I'm on my second one; my first was a 1992 model that I put thousands of miles on. Then I came across this 2007 with only 149 miles on it - guy bought it for his wife but she refused to have anything to do with it - so I bought it and now have over 7000 miles on it. Has to be one of the most dependable bikes ever made - I've never had to do anything but routine maintenance on mine. Taken a week ago:
You're right the XT225 Serow, and a last year model with only 149 miles was a find. Nice that you are enjoying yours! Unfortunately I believe the XT250 is also being discontinued, inevitable really and one reason I bought one. We're getting toward the last of the small single cylinder, air-cooled, dual sport motorcycles still made in Japan. I guess the closest thing out there Kawasaki's KLX230, and of course Suzuki's DR650.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I ride a 2003 Zuma.

70cc big bore, yasuni pipe, DelLorto 19mm carb, etc etc.

Gets me around just fine. Kinda cute, yet kinda fun.

I actually prefer it over a larger bike.