BX23S value?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
After 3 years, our projects needing the backhoe are wrapping up. Really want to go back to a larger frame ( L2501 ).

I cant find much in the way of -comps- to use a realty term.

Just about 200 hours. Cab, TLB and 60 inch standard MMM.

No dealer will obviously cite numbers without seeing it in person. Anybody have an idea of trade-in or what I could list it privately for? I priced a new one on Kubotas website and man, the prices went up!.... Im 26 into it and MSRP now is over 29, which is a little crazy.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
At 3 years old, people are close to buying a new one. New ones come with 0% financing and a warranty. So you have to be selling for enough less to make someone decide it's better than that new one with finance. 20-30% off new would be my best guess - so $20-23K, depending on condition, whether you sell privately or trade at a dealer, local market, all those kind of factors.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
new guy here.. sucks that this is my first Kubota post.. im a generator mechanic and diesel mechanic / electrician since 2002

i got a pretty rude awaking yesterday from my Kubota dealer..

I no longer have a use for the backhoe on my bx23s.. wanted to get a l2501 dt with the 60 inch finish mower and q/a loader and box scrapper.. my bx just cannot lift enough weight as I fix equipment and use it a lot for moving stuff when my ford 340 is overkill

I really do enjoy this tractor.. its done everything I needed except the lifting capacity, mowing my 2 acres with it is a real joy

anyway.. I guess they have to wholesale price it?? took them 3 business days, and over the weekend to tell me its only worth 12000... the salesman said yeah that is really low I will talk to my sales manager about what we can give you for it.. why would he not do that to begin with?

when I paid just under 25000 for it(with taxes etc of course) the beginning of this year, delivered jan 2nd.. I have the 60 inch mid mount mower, plastic canopy, manual thumb and bucket cutting bar.. with only 105 hours.. how is it worth 12000? I see rentals with 350 plus hours and no deck selling for 16000 that are 3 years old with no $1700 mower that look beat.. mine has been stored inside and babied since new..

pretty bummed out.. I was thinking I could get in the 18k area and the can roll over the upside down $ to the new loan.. but the dealer is telling me the tractor I want with the options is 23000.. add 10000 to that and I might as well just keep the bx and get the l2501 with no mower..

would only be 130 more a month to keep the bx and buy a new Kubota then buy the 2501 and add the 10k to the loan, or 44k total with both tractors or 35k and take a huge loss on trading in my bx.. im sure the numbers would vary if I did trade it in.. some kind of fees that would jack on another grand or 2..

I guess I need to wait and see what the dealer can do for me before I get to judgmental towards them.. still waiting for the sales guy to get back to me about what the sales manager said.. they are slow.. or im just impatient.. could be both..

been thinking about driving up to Georgia and buying a l2501 dt that includes a trailer, brush hog, box blade and quick attach bucket for cheaper then the dealer here wants for just the tractor, loader and box scrapper

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
new guy here.. sucks that this is my first Kubota post.. im a generator mechanic and diesel mechanic / electrician since 2002

i got a pretty rude awaking yesterday from my Kubota dealer..

I no longer have a use for the backhoe on my bx23s.. wanted to get a l2501 dt with the 60 inch finish mower and q/a loader and box scrapper.. my bx just cannot lift enough weight as I fix equipment and use it a lot for moving stuff when my ford 340 is overkill

I really do enjoy this tractor.. its done everything I needed except the lifting capacity, mowing my 2 acres with it is a real joy

anyway.. I guess they have to wholesale price it?? took them 3 business days, and over the weekend to tell me its only worth 12000... the salesman said yeah that is really low I will talk to my sales manager about what we can give you for it.. why would he not do that to begin with?

when I paid just under 25000 for it(with taxes etc of course) the beginning of this year, delivered jan 2nd.. I have the 60 inch mid mount mower, plastic canopy, manual thumb and bucket cutting bar.. with only 105 hours.. how is it worth 12000? I see rentals with 350 plus hours and no deck selling for 16000 that are 3 years old with no $1700 mower that look beat.. mine has been stored inside and babied since new..

pretty bummed out.. I was thinking I could get in the 18k area and the can roll over the upside down $ to the new loan.. but the dealer is telling me the tractor I want with the options is 23000.. add 10000 to that and I might as well just keep the bx and get the l2501 with no mower..

would only be 130 more a month to keep the bx and buy a new Kubota then buy the 2501 and add the 10k to the loan, or 44k total with both tractors or 35k and take a huge loss on trading in my bx.. im sure the numbers would vary if I did trade it in.. some kind of fees that would jack on another grand or 2..

I guess I need to wait and see what the dealer can do for me before I get to judgmental towards them.. still waiting for the sales guy to get back to me about what the sales manager said.. they are slow.. or im just impatient.. could be both..

been thinking about driving up to Georgia and buying a l2501 dt that includes a trailer, brush hog, box blade and quick attach bucket for cheaper then the dealer here wants for just the tractor, loader and box scrapper
That's nuts. Find another dealer.

I traded my 12 year old BX23 (2006 TBLM model) with well over 4K hard hours on it just two years ago. Dealer gave me 10K for that machine...sight unseen. I believe a paid 16-17K for it in 2006

Let your fingers do the walking for you. Write up your specs, tell them when you intend to buy and email all your local dealers.

Seriously, tell that dealer to get bent.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
BX tractorjoe - seems to me that price is too low for a machine that was new this year, unless it's beaten, high hours or something else. A machine that new I'd expect to be within 20% of original retail (actual retail, not list price).

Lots of things can happen in dealerships, particularly when economic times are tough. Maybe they have lots of machines on the lot and don't want another. Doesn't make them bad guys, means it's worth to them what it's worth to them. To someone else (a private buyer, or another dealer) it may be worth more.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
normally I would tell them where to stick it.. but they are the only dealer within almost 100 miles..

what I would rather do is take a nice drive and buy one from a dealer that is almost 5000 less..

im not sure whats the deal with them.. when I bought this one they had 7 in stock and when I went back to get the 50 hour parts a month later they sold them all and had sold an additional 4 and had 3 in stock..

maybe this sales guy is a mo%@n ??

I should just call them tomorrow.. im seeing used one with lower hours under 50 listed for 21000 with no mower or canopy or thumb..

here is my bx.. I am very particular with my equipment.. ok anal.. kind of a neat freak?.. wash it after I move dirt or mow with it.. its as nice as one can be that's been used..

these are a few pictures I sent to the dealer, or sales guy..

Attachments

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Possible the sales guy just got it wrong. Possible he's an idiot. Possible they don't like selling used equipment, so they only do it when it has good margin. Lots of things possible. Give them a chance to offer a sensible price, if they don't then sell it privately. That makes you a cash buyer, negotiate a sharp price on the new machine or just go elsewhere to buy.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
private resell, I'd think 20-24K. A BX23S up here, with grapple and thumb was 22K, 60hrs on it.
dealer tradein, maybe 15K. they have to make money,charge taxes and compete with private sales. tough in good times, gotta be BAD now with covid-19.
while trading in is easier,you'll take a big loss. if you've got the space and time, sell it yourself, but if you need the cash to finance the new tractor, you're probably stuck giving it to the dealer. One 'trick' is to get the best deal possible in writing THEN mention the tradein. Otherwise they 'fudge the numbers' to basically get the tradein for peanuts.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
The biggest hindrance to selling "like-new" used stuff right now is the 0% financing on the new stuff. Very few will pass up free money vs. minimal savings.

I went through this earlier in the spring, thought about up-trading my BX for a B, got a great price for the new B, but couldn't justify the loss on a sub-100 hr. BX. Even at a $3K discount vs. the lowest new price I could find, no one would bite, when new carries 0% financing.

If you can find a cash buyer that really wants what you have, with a serious discount over new, you might be able to work it out. But it will be hard to make a sale as that gap narrows.

At least,that was my experience. Mine was more of a want than a need, so I'm fine keeping the BX. It's done everything I've needed so far.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree with Dalola, that's what it comes down to.

In this region, a BX will fetch somewhere between 9k and 12k tops. Add a premium for backhoe and they sell for between 14 and 18 tops. Once you start getting to 20k you can get into a used B.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
So does that mean kubota cannot finance this tractor to a buyer because it is used? If that is the case it kind of makes sense.. still they can sell it easily for 20k.. there are people that can afford to pay cash I'd imagine that want to save 5 grand..

I'm not going to take that kind of loss.. I can always find a used l2501 for 15 grand and save up and pay cash for it..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I can understand if Kubota won't finance a USED tractor...it's used and who KNOWS what life it's lived, what kind of maintenance, etc....A new one will have a factory warranty. Yeah, I know it's still 'kubota' , just different departments, 'circular' money....
Best deal would be to sell privately, for say 5K off new+taxes ?
Up here taxes are 13% and that IS a huge wad of cash come checkout time !

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Around here, used machines best finance option is 4% at 48 months.

Still no dealer has offered a trade value. I really dont want to list it privately. Never had luck selling anything over 5k. People always want to trade for trash or promise cash and are never seen again. I owe 5,000 on it. Worst case, I keep it and deal with tippy tractor mowing and bush hogging.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
this .... tippy tractor mowing and bush hogging...
concerns me !!!

It implies you're NOT going straight up and down hills, but rather going sideways on them.

ALWAYS go straight up and down especially with a cab on. The cab raises the center of gravity(COG) and can make a bad situation lethal.