Grey Market Swap to V2203 IDI- What Donors have Bellhousing Flywheel Clutch ?

WNCHillbilly

Equipment
Too Many Tractors, Crawlers, and Stuff...
May 20, 2020
Culberson, North Carolina
I purchased a medium size grey market Kubota tractor- Age ? Still using the Old Bull Emblem. Examining it, it has a huge amount of room for a 4cylinder engine. Honestly, eve with the radiator and all parts installed, the 3cylinder D-series engine looks tiny and alone. The D-series also has a cracked block, and without sending it to a competent shop for heating and welding the severe crack between the water jackets and then having it sleeved- there is no way to use the D-series engine.

I own an Iseki TL4300. The way it was built is that it is a platform, and they installed everything from Iseki 3 cylinder engines all the way to large Isuzu 2.4litre 4 cylinder and even 4.# 6 cylinder Industrial engines. These went to Iseki TL6000 series- the chassis is the same, the difference is the flywheel, the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and tire size. The engine went bad in it before I got it, and it now has an Isuzu 4FC1 passenger car engine that produces 60hp(used the gear drive from the industrial engine that had a cracked block) it has 28in tires, great tractor. Only thing I need is a grille.

I've been told by a grey market importer that this particular tractor is built the same way and that if I get a 25-28 hp Kubota V2203, I'd need an L4800 or equivalent oil pan.

I've found a Carrier refrigerator unit. I has an early 2203 in it such that it is IDI and has a mechanical pump- it set for idle and compression run speeds with a solenoid operating a manual rod- if you disconnect the solenoid- the engine idles at 800rpm and goes to right at 2800rpm. It's rated at 30hp, I ran it for 30 minutes looking for problems and none appeared.

I get the entire assembly- it has a radiator that will fit the cradle of this tractor and the hood(grill will fit). It is a neutral balance engine looking at the flywheel perspective- ie no mallory metal plugs for balance. If nothing else, I might be able to face mill the flywheel and make it work.

How can I determine what tractor this was before it was imported ?

It is 4wd, multiple speed range, multi-speed PTO, PTO needs me to build a reverser box(I did one for my Satoh)- but this thing came with a a finish mower that is intense as well as a 4' tiller- so they work with the reverse PTO that is on there now.

If anyone knows of a donor model to get an oil pan or bellhousing or flywheel, let me know.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I purchased a medium size grey market Kubota tractor- Age ? Still using the Old Bull Emblem. Examining it, it has a huge amount of room for a 4cylinder engine. Honestly, eve with the radiator and all parts installed, the 3cylinder D-series engine looks tiny and alone. The D-series also has a cracked block, and without sending it to a competent shop for heating and welding the severe crack between the water jackets and then having it sleeved- there is no way to use the D-series engine.

I own an Iseki TL4300. The way it was built is that it is a platform, and they installed everything from Iseki 3 cylinder engines all the way to large Isuzu 2.4litre 4 cylinder and even 4.# 6 cylinder Industrial engines. These went to Iseki TL6000 series- the chassis is the same, the difference is the flywheel, the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and tire size. The engine went bad in it before I got it, and it now has an Isuzu 4FC1 passenger car engine that produces 60hp(used the gear drive from the industrial engine that had a cracked block) it has 28in tires, great tractor. Only thing I need is a grille.

I've been told by a grey market importer that this particular tractor is built the same way and that if I get a 25-28 hp Kubota V2203, I'd need an L4800 or equivalent oil pan.

I've found a Carrier refrigerator unit. I has an early 2203 in it such that it is IDI and has a mechanical pump- it set for idle and compression run speeds with a solenoid operating a manual rod- if you disconnect the solenoid- the engine idles at 800rpm and goes to right at 2800rpm. It's rated at 30hp, I ran it for 30 minutes looking for problems and none appeared.

I get the entire assembly- it has a radiator that will fit the cradle of this tractor and the hood(grill will fit). It is a neutral balance engine looking at the flywheel perspective- ie no mallory metal plugs for balance. If nothing else, I might be able to face mill the flywheel and make it work.

How can I determine what tractor this was before it was imported ?

It is 4wd, multiple speed range, multi-speed PTO, PTO needs me to build a reverser box(I did one for my Satoh)- but this thing came with a a finish mower that is intense as well as a 4' tiller- so they work with the reverse PTO that is on there now.

If anyone knows of a donor model to get an oil pan or bellhousing or flywheel, let me know.
A few of your observations don't quite add up.

A V2203 is 39Hp or more, it would most likely be quite a bit of HP jump from the original D engine.

Look next to the injection pump for a stamped number to determine what engine your dealing with.

On the tractor the model and serial number will be stamped into the Clutch housing, normally right or left side by your feet.

Most V2203's won't work for a tractor because they are missing a crucial part that drives the hydraulic pump, and it can not easily be found or made.

Also a V2203 has a different dimensions on the bellhousing and will not easily mate up to the D version bell housings.

There was only one model Kubota that used a reverse PTO, it was a B6000, it also did not have a standard PTO size splines.

Need more information on the exact model to give better details on issues.

WNCHillbilly

Equipment
May 20, 2020
PTO spins reverse- has I believe 23 splines, the pto shafts for the tiller and the finish mower- match that as well. The splines are identical to those on a Satoh Beaver up to 470 model.

Shortly before the idiots destroyed the block, they painted it. So finding anything number or dataplate is going to take a minute.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm really doubting that you have a Kubota, because nothing you say adds up to a Kubota design.

I not saying this to be mean, as this wouldn't be the first time this has happened, where someone thought that they had something they didn't.

Last one had all the right labels and all the right paint.

Pictures of the unit might clear things up.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My neighbor also bought what he was sure was an American market Yamar, turned out to be a grey market Yanmar repainted & rebadged as an American market one.
Near impossible to get parts for.

WNCHillbilly

Equipment
May 20, 2020
I have an acquaintence I did the machine work for his V2203 conversion into a CJ2 kit car copy. He works for Kubota- has since the 1970's. He believes it is an L

Going through the parts that came with it it, I found the original D1300/1301 that was in it.

I think the kid was thinking that because an L345 had a V1501 I could just drop in a V2203.:rolleyes:

It's definitely a Kubota. I saw it before they blew up engine #1 and tried to buy it. It and the tiller and finish mower all matched Kubota orange on a gray frame.

It currently has a D605 that they cracked all to hell. It was used around a body shop

Used to be a grey market tractor dealer in Stephens County Georgia. There are some parts receipts for it.

It definite possibility I am wrong on the stubby 23 spline shaft- it just hasn't been at the top of my list of projects with the plague being what it is.

I do know this- I measured the oil pan(no problems with depth or width) spare that comes with the V2203 and fan clearance to the radiator- no problem. So that is still in play. Getting it running with minimal cost and keeping it is the biggest concern.

FYI/TMI: The reason for the raspberry red paint is it was bought by a kid in his 20's who works at his uncle's body shop. He had a raspberry red Ford Mustang, and he sprayed the body on the poor Kubota with the extra paint mixed for the Mustang.

Take care. Time to go get to work on the farm.