Introduction B7100 owner

Weimar

May 11, 2020
N of Spokane, WA, USA
hello, bought my first tractor (don't consider the lawn tractors as the same, although I have started using mine a lot just to run down to drop off the 'days hay' for the 2 horses.

Ran my Kubota B7100 OUT of diesel - sn says its from late in 1979 - so when I graduated from high school.
Reason I ran it out was that it is 'stuck' in 4x4 - so I watched Youtubes - and the tricks I saw, slightly revving - putting front loader down, taking pressure off of front wheels - nothing worked and as I ran it, it went empty.

So, thoughts on what I should do for the 4x4 - I want it in 4x2 right now.
Tricks, tips, what lever am I missing besides the obvious 4x4 / 4x2 that is marked for me by the seller.

Front end is very wonky driving in 4x4 and realize I will need to address that.

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Lift the rear blade on the 3 pt hitch and then put down pressure on the loader arms, next curl the bucket forward and see if the front tires will leave the ground. Having weight on the rear of the tractor lessens the weight on the front of the tractor and makes it more likely you can lift the front wheels.

The curling forward of the bucket can generate more down pressure than the lift arms can so again increases the chance you can lift the front wheels.

It can take more than just reducing the weight on the front tires to get out of 4WD. Having one or both tires in the air will remove any internal pressure in the gears

Having the correct tires on front and rear is important as the rolling circumference of the front and rear tires is designed to be a specific ratio in the design of the transmission.

If someone has messed with tires sizes you can end up with a lot of pressure building up in the gear train and this pressure keeps things locked together in 4WD.

Dave

Weimar

May 11, 2020
N of Spokane, WA, USA
Re: B7100 stuck in 4x4

Thank you, will try again - but watched a youtube and the guy suggested that I raise the front, which it does easily.

I know it was in 4x2 when I tested it out.

Will print this out, but think I already tried.

Any other thoughts?

Ed

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Re: B7100 stuck in 4x4

Thank you, will try again - but watched a youtube and the guy suggested that I raise the front, which it does easily.

I know it was in 4x2 when I tested it out.

Will print this out, but think I already tried.

Any other thoughts?

Ed
I have a late model B7100hst so do not know if the below info will help or not.

One day out of the blue I was not able to shift between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. Turns out it was a simple fix. The lever to engage/disengage the front axel uses a spring and detent ball. This detent ball had simply rusted in place. A drop of light oil took care of it. I did not apply any undue pressure but it was locked up pretty tight till I oiled it.

Not sure if this could be your problem , but worth checking out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Now that you have it working, put some spray grease or oil on it to keep it from rusting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I have the same tractor from late 1978. I was able to go thru Kubota and get a ROPS for it really cheap. They have a safety program that offers them at minimal cost. The manual steering is tough when using the FEL. It's been a good little machine. Mine will need a new clutch someday. That will be a challenge. Have fun with yours.