buying advice

sajnaj

May 14, 2020
clinton Indiana usa
just purchased 16 acres homestead in the process of building are forever home. looking for a tractor to bus hog about 14 acres take care of a 1/2 mile long driveway.

i have been looking at the l2501 with hst and a fel but im concerned that it will be to small. i have a skill of being able to get equipment stuck i dont think that a l2501 has enough weight to pull out a stuck 3/4 cummins.

me and the wife are talking about turning half of the property into a Christmas tree farm so i would need a tractor to work the ground possibly in the future. i have looked and based only on looks i like the mx4800 but is that overkill to bus hog with and take care of my homestead. i like the lifting capacity of the fel on the mx4800 versus the l2501

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I don't think the 4800 would be overkill. Hard to have too much tractor. However, the L2501 is exactly what I needed for my 10 acres. I needed it for the front end loader so I could do dirt work, grapple work, etc. The backhoe pretty much has stayed on it, with the exception of running the tiller on it some.

I have an old John Deere 2030 (68 hp) that keeps a 6 ft cutter on it to maintain the fields. But, I would be just fine with my L2501 for my place.

Your needs may very different than mine. But, again, it is difficult to say you have too much tractor.

I have a tree puller for my 2501 that goes on the front end loader. It pulls up the small stuff, which was my intent, but I cannot help but think how much better a bigger tractor would yank up the bigger trees. But, I have the backhoe for that. Everything is a compromise.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I also agree that the MX4800 would not be overkill. I have 11 acres with similar tasks that need doing. My previous tractor was about equivalent to an L2501 and it was able to doing about 90% of everything. It was that other 10% that got aggravating and caused me to upgrade. I could have easily ended up with an MX4800 myself, but chose the L4701 instead for a few reasons. Always always always get at least a size bigger than what you think you will need today. In 5 years a new need will arise and you will be glad to have the machine that can already do it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My philosophy on tractors is... Buy the biggest one you can afford, always. You buy a weinie tactor, it will always be just that. A weinie.....:D

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
When it comes to tractors, like a lot of things in life, size matters.
It's always better to have a little more HP, lifting capacity, weight, stability and traction than not enough. Plus, you have less chance of wear and tear on a slightly over sized unit than on a slightly undersized one.
The only two downsides are usually price and will it fit where you want to use it, such as between rows or size of storage shed or garage.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
as a member who used too small of a tractors for a long time....

im with sidecar & freewheel... if you are going to work it hard? make sure you buy enough tractor.

l2501 is a great tractor. so is a 2601. these are great small tractors & can do a zillion things...

but look longer term. (my place is about the same size as yours) IF you are gonna do a lot of PTO stuff?

stump grinder, brush grinder, good size hog, hauling wet sand, gravel, mulch & pull out stuck vehicles?

you should seriously look at a 3901 or GrandL series.

the MX's are nice, but you are getting big enough there that they are not so ground friendly.

the Grand L is my money doesnt matter tractor, but the 3901 would be my go to if i was to buy a brand new Kubota for all around right now.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you plan on planting Christmas trees, have a game plan before you buy the tractor. How far apart are you planning to plant?

I planted 3,000 Christmas trees with a B8200, and it was a perfect size. I clamped a sky pole on the front of the loader bucket with the leather wrist strap hanging down That was my row marker. I pulled a planter with the B8200 and the leather strap hung over the previous planted row. Rows were about 7' c/c and trees were about 7' apart. In a situation like this an MX4800 would be to big of a tractor. As the trees grow there isn't room for it to get through.

sajnaj

May 14, 2020
clinton Indiana usa
If you plan on planting Christmas trees, have a game plan before you buy the tractor. How far apart are you planning to plant?

I planted 3,000 Christmas trees with a B8200, and it was a perfect size. I clamped a sky pole on the front of the loader bucket with the leather wrist strap hanging down That was my row marker. I pulled a planter with the B8200 and the leather strap hung over the previous planted row. Rows were about 7' c/c and trees were about 7' apart. In a situation like this an MX4800 would be to big of a tractor. As the trees grow there isn't room for it to get through.
do u have any pics of how you planted and couldn't i just plant 1 row at a time and work my way out. or offset my planter to one side.

sajnaj

May 14, 2020
clinton Indiana usa
in regards to ground damage not to concerned about that. i have looked long and hard at the L series and the l2501 and the l3301 appear to me to be the same tractor basicaly. the next step up in size that im intrested in is the l4701 and its the same size as the mx and and the mx has more lifting capacity

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You are in a similar situation I was in last year at this exact same time, when I bought my first tractor. I have 13 acres. About 5 of those acres are open/clear/yard areas that are in grass. The other 8 or so acres is woods. I dont do much in the wooded 8 acres aside from cut a little firewood from it, and enjoy walking it and putting walk trails through it. I have 2 horses as well. I wanted a tractor that could move 5' round bales of hay easily, run a 5 to 6 foot rotary cutter if needed, run a box blade, run a disc or roto tiller to put in a garden, and help with tree remove - push tree tops, large limbs into piles, move logs to the wood pile for splitting, etc etc. The tractor I ended up going with was the L2501. In the year I have owned it, it has tackled every job I have tried to accomplish with it. Its small enough that I can put it in the woods and manuever around all the trees, but its not so small that it cant move 1,000-2,000 Lb loads. Im clearing about half to a full acre currently of the wooded area and converting it to more yard space. Ive done it all with this tractor and a chainsaw and a box of matches. Ive cut down large oak trees, go up the tree stim an cut it off where all the branches start, and the little L2501will push these massive tree tops into piles, and then pick up the 10 or 15 foot long stems that and move them to my log pile. Man of these stems are 12-18 inches in diameter. I dont know what a stem that is 10 foot long and 14 inches in diameter weights, but the tractor has moved all of them ive grabbed, and Im moving them with a root rake that weights over 400lbs itself. The L2501 will lift 2,000lbs up off the ground. Its rated at I think 1100 lbs in the spec sheet, but if I remember right that is to lift something up really high. If you are lifting something up just 2 or 3 feet off the ground, as I do with these logs - just enough to move them- Its amazed me what this tractor will pick up. After clearing all the trees and bruning some huge fires of all these tops, I am coming behind it and using my 5' box blade and 72" disc harrow to turn the ground from a mangled wooded mess full of decaying and rotted logs, leaves, and muck into a nice tilled, level powder of dirt which I will soon come back and plant grass seed over. Its a big conversion from heavy woods to this nice cleared smooth ground. Of course the tractor also moves heavy round bales of hay easily. I use a 3pt hitch spike for that, as it was just cheaper than a front end spike, and I only need to move bales around small runs for horses.

I say all that just to give you some insight into how I'm using one of the tractors you are considering. Its been a little work horse for me, and at under $300/month payments. I didn't want a 400 or 500 a month tractor payment. But that was me. I enjoy working in the outdoors and doing these projects but I am a person of many interests and hobbies. I think you have to be realistic about what you want to do with the tractor, then buy what will do the jobs comfortably. I invested a lot of time in watching youtube videos of the various tractors working and what they were capable of, and reading forums and such. I had some folks try to suggest I go bigger, and sure a bigger tractor is nice, but again I didnt want to spend 400++ a month on a tractor payment. My goal was to keep it under 300/month, and I accomplished that.

The best way to approach this in my opinion, if yorue debating between two models, is to simply think of all you want to do, then ask yourself is there is one model that wont do some of it. Or, what do you gain by going bigger on a certain job. For example - both tractors you are looking at will mow 14 acres fine. Both will maintain a driveway fine. So how do you decide? Well how big a mower do you want to mow with? Do you want to go larger than a 60" rotary cutter? if so then you need to go bigger than the L2501. But with that size again is more money, and a bigger trailer to move it. For example - for me, going larger than L2501 made little practical sense. The L2501 will pull and operate implements 60" wide. I have zero need to have anything larger than about 5 foot wide on my property - it would just be more cumbersome to move around and transport. If however these are not limitations for you, and youd prefer to operate implements over 60" wide, then you need to upgrade. If youd rather keep some money in your pocket, and do most of the same work but cut 60" in a pass rather than 72" in a pass, then you can go with the L2501. I dont mind taking an extra few passes to mow something. Having a larger tractor would only save me in time here and there, not in ability for what Im doing on my property.I think thats what you should ask yourself.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
in regards to ground damage not to concerned about that. i have looked long and hard at the L series and the l2501 and the l3301 appear to me to be the same tractor basicaly. the next step up in size that im intrested in is the l4701 and its the same size as the mx and and the mx has more lifting capacity
The MX has more lifting capacity if that is all you are interested in, but the L4701 loader is faster than the MX. This is one of the reasons I went with the L over the MX. The MX can also lift a couple few inches higher but both can easily load/unload from a truck. I would consider this before looking at just one specification. The MX also has bigger front wheels, I believe the L turns a little tighter.

sajnaj

May 14, 2020
clinton Indiana usa
the only thing stoping me from buying the l2501 is

being able to pull out a stuck 3/4 ton truck

my local dealer quoted me 19k for a l2501 with hst and fel im i have scene some dealers post good deals on the l4701 for the extra 9k i feel like i have a better chance of not overworking it.

https://springdaletractor.com/kubota-l4701dt-package-deal

i have a tendency of overworking my equipment

Attachments

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
the only thing stoping me from buying the l2501 is

being able to pull out a stuck 3/4 ton truck

my local dealer quoted me 19k for a l2501 with hst and fel im i have scene some dealers post good deals on the l4701 for the extra 9k i feel like i have a better chance of not overworking it.

https://springdaletractor.com/kubota-l4701dt-package-deal

i have a tendency of overworking my equipment
I think it would all depend on how stuck the truck was, but I feel like my L2501 would pull a F250 out of some stuck mud just fine. Id love to test it honestly, but I feel, based on my year of using the tractor, that it would pull a truck out of some rough spots. I have no doubt at all it would pull my F150 out. Ive seen a UTV like your honda pioneer there pull cars out of mud before, and those things are what, about 1700 lbs? L2501 with FEL and ballast in rear tires is over 4,000lbs. if I throw my root rake on the front and box blade on the back Im sitting around 5,000 LBS. Make sure you dont confuse the 25 horses of the L2501 with those of a BX or even B model kubota. The engine is much larger than those smaller models, even though they have the same spec sheet HP. The L2501 has a lot more grunt, and the weight, as I mention above, is another big difference from the smaller 25 horse offerings. I would NOT perosnally waste money on an L3301 over the L2501. You add all the DPF hardware and gain what I think is an unnoticeable amount of power increase. If I was going to Go a little over the L2501 Id go up to the L3901 instead. That more comfortably gets you more into a 72" rotary cutter and such. The L3901 however only weights about 150 Lbs more than the L2501, so keep this in mind. As you well know im sure, weight is often what dictates whether you will pull something or not. That would mean that I suspect in a head to head, the L3901 likely wouldnt out pull the L2501 by much. That extra horsepower is lost if the tires start to spin.

If you have the money and the payments are good for you, L4701 would be the better upgrade. It weights a good 680 Lbs more than the L2501. This is a more substantial upgrade.

This is just my personal ramblings. TLDR version: If I wanted more than what the L2501 could do, I wouldnt go 3301 or 3901, as all 3 models are within 150 lbs of each other. Id go for the heavier L4701 - something with enough extra weight to make the extra horsepower more useful.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How stuck are we getting this truck stuck? When I first moved to my place day one I got my F250 stuck in the yard. Street tires so it didnt sink far (my ground is probably similar to yours in our wet season) the L3200 (almost identical to 2501 or 3301) pulled it out no problem. Couple more times to after that. Fast forward a year and I put 35 inch mud tires on the 250, buried that truck to the doors, the L ripped the tow hook off the front of the truck, truck didnt budge. Call a buddy with a lifted F150 on 35s, that gets buried to the doors. L couldnt budge that. Go across the road and get one of my neighbors M4s, cant even get close to where the trucks are before it sinks. Push the M out with the loader and take it back. Go buy a winch, winch the 150 out, cant budge the 250 with the winch. Call buddy with a 70s gmc, lifted on 47s (straight mud truck). Strap that truck to a big oak, took over an hour to winch the 250 out.

So what I would consider is why is the truck needed where its getting stuck? My experience is the tractor sinks faster then my truck, but can use the loader and/or backhoe if equipped to push/pull itself out. Extra weight is not your friend if its soft ground. Ive had the L buried to the floorboard but was able to use the loader to push it out.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Edit to above post, I did confuse op with a different poster about ground type and conditions, but still applies I believe

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Just don't get stuck is the moral of the story. :D

But seriously, I have genuinely enjoyed my L2501. I would have upgraded to a L3901 or even a L4701 possibly if they did not have the DPF. I just don't want that crap.

I sort of wondered had I made the wrong choice with the L2501. But, I had done quite a bit of reading here and elsewhere and saw very few negative comments on the L2501. I am just now testing its capabilities and I have not been disappointed. Like Tornado, I have been able to do so much. Just this week I have amassed a hug brush pile. I have yanked large sections of trees out of the woods that had fallen from winds with ease. I have not found any shortcomings in the loader for my uses and I don't think I probably will.

If I had a much bigger property, perhaps a bigger tractor would be more beneficial.

I have been using mine essentially as a skidder lately, The maneuverability has been nice.

Also, I think Tornado mentioned transporting issues. Another appeal of the L2501 to me is that it will be much easier and safer to transport than a bigger tractor. I don't have a truck capable of pulling my tractor now, but plan to in the future. Transporting may not be important to you though.

Only you can ultimately decide what you want and need though.

jeremymayf

May 19, 2020
Graniteville, SC
Nicfin36, is your property fairly level? Just curious, bc I've been debating 2501 up to mx for many of the same duties you've been doing for an 8 acre property. The catch is that about 1/2 the 8 acres is on a hillside averaging about 13% grade with some parts more or less steep. Terrain is pretty sandy. Was concerned about the 2501 having enough weight/power to accomplish tasks....?