NEW KUBOTA GUY New L4760HSTC

MZ3

Equipment
L4760HSTC
Apr 30, 2020
LAPEER
Really excited to get a workhorse,I have one hour on it, graded my drive and pushed out one stump. I had a problem backing up and attributed it to my inexperience...….. I got a recall notice...….. STOP USE.....
I am not sure how excited I am about a brand new $60,000 machine being torn apart. Any thoughts ?? Mark in Lapeer mi.
My wife said get rid of it !!! I may do that
I have Front hydrolics, Forks, Back Hoe and Two buckets...ALL NEW...

AND NOT USABLE----- any Idea about a time line on this ??---

Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually it is. Kubota did that to mitigate their corporate liability in case the bolt comes out (it's one under torqued bolt) and causes a driveability issue.

You'd do exactly the same thing if you were Kubota or any other manufacturer for that matter.

What Kubota did is SOP.

At least they informed you ahead of time, not like the auto manufacturers did with the Takata air bag deal. They wanted until people died before admitting that their air bags were faulty.

You can use it but you then assume the liability for personal injury. Kubota will repair the defect at no cost to you anyway other than time and from what I understand your dealer will provide a 'loaner' unit at no cost while it's in the shop.

Nothing to gripe about really. that I can see.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Far as taking it apart it has to be split to access the part but will be done by a Kubota certified technician so there is no worry on that score. It will be pristine when repaired anyway. All ready for you to ding it up and get it dirty.:)

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Seems like there should be some consumer protection law that may help you get out of your loan/deal since you just got it.
Id be pretty pissed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Seems like there should be some consumer protection law that may help you get out of your loan/deal since you just got it.
Id be pretty pissed.
May I ask why? Kubota is making every effort to make the customer whole. Far as 'getting out of a loan / sales agreement, that isn't germane to the issue that I can see at least.

Tractors, like cars are complex machines that are assembled by human's and human's do make mistakes. Be happy they caught it and are making am honest and forthright effort to correct it.

Lots of non related topics to get your panties in a bunch over.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I just purchased my L4701 HST a few months back as well, so I have a horse in this race. I'm used to car manufacturers sending me a letter about a recall as an FYI and that they will get back to me at some later date when parts become available (I'm still waiting for months now to hear back on the Ford), but none have told me to stop driving it. I think the airbag one only affected the passenger, so they did tell me to not have passengers on that one. For my model, this seems to be a new(er) development than the MX series. So, I'm just playing a wait and see at this point. If my dealer calls me next week and says we got the parts, then I'll think that Kubota is doing everything they can. If they make me wait for months with nothing but a letter telling me to stop using my tractor, then it would seem they're more concerned about covering their butts than little old me.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
May I ask why? Kubota is making every effort to make the customer whole. Far as 'getting out of a loan / sales agreement, that isn't germane to the issue that I can see at least.

Tractors, like cars are complex machines that are assembled by human's and human's do make mistakes. Be happy they caught it and are making am honest and forthright effort to correct it.

Lots of non related topics to get your panties in a bunch over.
Kubota sold a tractor that isnt usable for its intended purpose. When he purchased it he was presuming that it was. When kubota said stop using it, it became un-usable for its intended purpose. There are laws in my state and im guessing all states to prevent this from burdening the consumer over. Im no lawyer, he may be SOL. But after spending 60K on a lawn ornament, ill bet there are some legal remedies out there.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Of course they are because we live in a sue happy society, If I was Kubota, I'd do the same thing.

Again, far as using it, you can but if the suspect bolt fails and you get injured, that is on you as you are aware of the issue.

It is a driveability issue as I understand it from talking to my dealer yesterday and the bolt in question can cause a failure to control the transmission in certain instances.

If I owned one, I'd use it but I'd also be aware that it might have an issue. I don't btw.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Kubota sold a tractor that isnt usable for its intended purpose. When he purchased it he was presuming that it was. When kubota said stop using it, it became un-usable for its intended purpose. There are laws in my state and im guessing all states to prevent this from burdening the consumer over. Im no lawyer, he may be SOL. But after spending 60K on a lawn ornament, ill bet there are some legal remedies out there.
I think it's a little pre-mature to be at this point of outrage. Like I said, my tractor is (potentially) affected by this as well. Holy cow, the notice on my L4701 went out on 4-27 from what I understand. I imagine the L4760 was similar timeframe? Most of these states that you are talking about with these laws expect you to give the manufacturer a chance to make it right before parking the thing back on the dealers' lot.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
They (Kubota) did not know it was an issue when it was sold so that in itself negates your claim.

Prior knowledge is everything when it comes to the merchantabilities' of any product.

Unlike the automakers that knew Takata air bags had inflation issues and kept right on selling vehicles with them installed.

There are other examples but the airbag one comes to mind right away.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
They (Kubota) did not know it was an issue when it was sold so that in itself negates your claim.

Prior knowledge is everything when it comes to the merchantabilities' of any product.

Unlike the automakers that knew Takata air bags had inflation issues and kept right on selling vehicles with them installed.

There are other examples but the airbag one comes to mind right away.
You got a point if they owned it for a while but just off the lot there should be protections somewhere. The dealer should swap it out for a comparable or already fixed unit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not my call or yours either. Between the customer and his dealer. No point in speculating what might or might nor happen.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Not my call or yours either. Between the customer and his dealer. No point in speculating what might or might nor happen.
Well yeah there is a point. OP has a $60k machine with 1 hour on it and was told by manufacturer to stop using it until its fixed. Looks like he or at least his wife wants him out of it and cant say i blame him.

So do you know how long its going to take to get it fixed? Because that was also his question.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well yeah there is a point. OP has a $60k machine with 1 hour on it and was told by manufacturer to stop using it until its fixed. Looks like he or at least his wife wants him out of it and cant say i blame him.

So do you know how long its going to take to get it fixed? Because that was also his question.
Not a clue. Will depend entirely on the workload of the service department and if it's a multi- line dealer (like mine is) and of they do work on ag tractors and implements and of course how many others there are to be fixed and in what order the appointments are made.

Lots of variables and I don't know the what the flat rate time is for the repair either.

I know with my dealer, this time of year. ag repairs get priority, why I try to schedule my shop time in the winter, because the shop is slow.

No crystal ball here. Depends on many things and every dealership shop is different.

He needs to contact his dealer and ask and see if he can schedule an appointment. His dealer will have the answers no one on here will because every situation is unique.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You got a point if they owned it for a while but just off the lot there should be protections somewhere. The dealer should swap it out for a comparable or already fixed unit.
I don't see that happening but I could be wrong. If the dealer did, he'd have to by law, sell the unit as used., plus if it's financed, the unit lien is by serial number. Like guns, you just don't swap them out if one is defective. Had that situation with a Smith and Wesson handgun and Smith had to destroy the original one and issue me a new handgun using my old serial number because the serial number is unique and cannot be duplicated on 2 items.

Same with a tractor or car or motorcycle.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
just don't swap them out if one is defective.
Perhaps the difference here is the time frame, but my trailer dealer did just that when I bought my dump trailer. The trailer I bought has a 3 way tailgate (barn door, spreader gate, & pickup tailgate) and when I got it home, I found the pickup gate feature would not work. I took it back, they checked it out & found the factory had welded the pickup gate hinge in the wrong location. They had another trailer of the same model, and had not sent the paperwork on the original trailer to DMV yet, so they prepped the new trailer, destroyed the paperwork on the old one, and redid the paperwork on the new trailer & sent me on my way. This whole thing took place over a 5 day span with no DMV involvement, but if they had sent the original paperwork in, this swap would have been more difficult or impossible.
Thankfully, they only send paperwork to DMV once a week.

Attachments