Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Glad to see some support for local meat processors. In favor of what they are doing, some of the local processors that I've encountered in Michigan are in dire need of cleaning and modernizing. It is not easy to find a place to take small numbers of sheep or cattle to, and that your custom meat buyers would not wince at the lack of sanitation. Many of the old timers that did a good job are retiring, and their facilities if still operating have gone to rack and ruin. I hate the degree to which big business tries to get a strangle hold on agriculture, either via the seed herbicide business, milk distributors or meat processing. Hope some good can come out of this pandemic.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I'm good till this time next year, lots of venison in the freezer. Steaks, roasts, burger, sausage, stew meat etc.

Now chicken and turkey not so but I could process one a month and sacrifice my eggs but they bring $5.00 a dozen weekly.

Lots of veggies in freezer and canned good there. Garden all planted and everything looking good. Got about 15 rows @ 75' long, peas, cukes, squash, taters, corn, melons, beets, peppers, beans, and lettuce.

People at work use to tell me I'm crazy putting all that time into my chickens, garden, and fruit trees! Now some have been buying lettuce from me and eggs. One guy paid in advance for his next 3 dozen eggs.

Stay safe guys and gals.

Jay

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
We are all good on Beef and Pork, just picked up a local grown 1/4 beefer and stocked up on Pork about a month ago from our local butchers.

Hoping to shoot a couple of Turkeys in the next weeks to add to the freezer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just fine and will be. I have it on the hoof in the side lot and I am quite capable of doing my own processing. No issue on pork or chicken either. Both available locally, on the hoof or on the leg, depending on what it is.

..and the freezers are loaded with venison, beat and some elk anyway. Amy and I are very carnivorous people.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have 3 boys in the house all over 6', they eat like pro ball players I swear. We have 2 fre/ref and one big upright freezer.

For Beef I get primal cuts from a local farm and cut them up and vacuum pack them from there. All the trimmings get ground and vacuum packed as well.

We pre-season almost all the "cuts" before packaging/freezing and go directly into the sous-vide bath from the freezer.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Bought 1/2 a steer a month ago, butchered & packaged to my specifications for $3 per pound. I was introduced to this farmer/butcher by a good friend. Class A throughout. He supplies premium meats for restaurants but got ahead of the game by selling his meats in bulk no less than 1/4 a cow. If anyone’s interested, let me know. He’s based in Ephrata, WA but delivers to Spokane. He does game and pork too.

My local butchers DO process meats brought to them so the services are still available around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Were good, and been trying for year to get the wife to thin out the freezers. We have 3 freezers (2 uprite and one chest) and there is just 2 of us. Since were not going anywhere the supplies are going done some.

I would like to get to just one for regular use. Keep another around incase for a good deal on whole to 1/2 cow. With things slowing down there are several cattle farms starting to look at down sizing

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
Just put in a order for 1/2 cow but won't be getting it til early June.
Get It from a friends boss. Local raised and processed it good beef.

I usually buy Bacon too in a #25 block so we'll be good for awhile.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's plenty.

Ain't no shortage. If there is, it's a manufactured shortage.

You gotta know where to get it.

I get it across the road; as of right now, about 1300 head currently on hoof and a ton (literally) in the freezer packaged & ready for sale.

Sometimes they get out and end up grazing in my yard. Fine with me but they can be destructive if/when they want, thus I tend to keep them run off if they get loose. Usually just run them back across the road; or at least try to. There's one or two that ain't skeered of me.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
There's plenty.

Ain't no shortage. If there is, it's a manufactured shortage.

You gotta know where to get it.

I get it across the road; as of right now, about 1300 head currently on hoof and a ton (literally) in the freezer packaged & ready for sale.

Sometimes they get out and end up grazing in my yard. Fine with me but they can be destructive if/when they want, thus I tend to keep them run off if they get loose. Usually just run them back across the road; or at least try to. There's one or two that ain't skeered of me.
Lugbolt, that sound easy, but there are a lot of folks who do not know where the meat in the store comes from!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
i posted about this in a thread with Skeets on another forum we both haunt..

didnt really know anyone who was affected by meat packing plants or that it was really a "thing"..

here in rural Ohio? we have several local places that do cows, hogs & so on.

got a half a beef a while back & half a hog. our hotdogs are even made local at our meat processor.

only meat we buy is lunchmeat or chicken. If times get tough? our local people have those too.

this just seems to be more of a city people problem than tractor owners. :D

& while i wish no ill will for anyone::::::: just dont give a crap about what happens in big cities. they create their own problems.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ahh, Yes... feeling the LOVE and Christianity here! :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
Friend wants to purchase a freezer and get a side of beef. Store said at least 4 weeks before they will have any freezers in. Folks on FB and CL trying to find used freezers.

This lack of beef in the meat shelf will not affect the small butcher shops around here. They are booked out 6-8 weeks all the time. Might get squeezed in if you're a farmer who regularly brings in an animal.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Lucky here, have not bought beef from the store in many years. Just got half a hog from a local ranch, neighbor grazes his horses on my property and pays us in beef so freezer has at least a years supply of protein. We know where our meat comes from which is a good feeling.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
‘Cat - we’re very rural.

Heard the same about freezers here as a coworker’s son was looking for one.

Of course, given we’re so rural, it’s not like there’s 100’s kicking around for sale anyway....

You’re mention of farmers....I do have a quarter coming from a long-time beef farmer 5 miles away. Bought from his Dad before he passed away. Local, small processor too that does a great job.

Just heard this morning my wife’s coworker is ramping up meat chicken production over the next 8 weeks. We have an order in....

They’re dumping milk by the millions of pounds. We’re a dairy area. Farmers are looking at a $4.27/cwt DFA discount for April, and another $2+ for May....how the hell do you make milk for $10+\-?

The father of a neighbor dairy farmer says he can foresee production of many products becoming smaller and more local, and dairy producers expanding their operations to include beef, etc.. They’re small, but also do Maple, pumpkins, squash, etc.

More in line to what dairy guys did in the 19th and 20th Century. All good things.

That said, I heard another dairyman I know is adding 400 cows to get to 2,400.... what?!?! Just doesn’t make sense.....

Having been a farm kid many, many years ago, I have the utmost respect for those guys and gals that grow the stuff we eat.

I respect that now more than ever.....[emoji41]

Last edited:

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
That said, I heard another dairyman I know is adding 400 cows to get to 2,400.... what?!?! Just doesn’t make sense.....
Many of the small ones may loose the farm, so he would be in a good position if he can hang on

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was at the local hardware store this morning.
Guy in there commonly goes to local livestock/animal auction, which apparently is still being held. He said he was there last week, I think.
Rabbits bringing $30-50 a head.
Baby chicks at $8 a head.
2 young turkeys brought $75 A HEAD!
Apparently still can’t sell a bull calf or pig/hog, but I’m not sure on that.
I was so shocked by the prices he was throwing out, I think I lost track a little...[emoji15]

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Beefs supply has been great. You can't find any pork though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk