Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Pertinent info .
For f150 4×4. Towing package?
2670 fel brush hog... disks.
I'm looking at 18 foot pequea utility trailer
Option is 7000 lbs or 10000 lbs axle rating.
Dual axles brakes on both.
Heaven duty split fold up gate.

Or

18 foot tilt bed car trailer .no power to tilt. 10000 lbs
1600 bucks difference from 10000 lbs utility

Money is a concern but I will pay what it takes. I'm not sure what would be the better option. I will buy something, just want to buy a trailer that will be safe for 100 round trip highway miles to my hunting property 4 or 5 times a year. I want something that's going to be durable for the task.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
7000 pounds would be adequate. But I personally would opt for the 10,000 pound running gear. Personal preference. I haul my 2650 on a 14,000 pound equipment trailer. It serves other purposes as well... but not often.

Tilt would be nice as it eliminates the need for ramps... But Ive never had an issue using ramps. So again, personal preference.

ETA: I would personally skip the tilt option and put that money into a longer 10,000 pound trailer. With my 2650, loader attached and bucket on with a tiller on the back, I'm using a majority of the 18' of the flat part of the deck on my trailer, even though its a 20' trailer.

Last edited:

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
If you're going to have it forever get the tilt, the bigger the trailer the heavier the ramps. As an OG it gets to be a factor.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Good point Mike... Car haulers generally store their ramps under the deck so there is some finagling to get the ramps set. Equipment trailers generally have their ramps connected to the back of the trailer and flip up to vertical. Mine are spring assisted... My kids can operate the ramps.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Pertinent info .
For f150 4×4. Towing package?
2670 fel brush hog... disks.
I'm looking at 18 foot pequea utility trailer
Option is 7000 lbs or 10000 lbs axle rating.
Dual axles brakes on both.
Heaven duty split fold up gate.

Or

18 foot tilt bed car trailer .no power to tilt. 10000 lbs
1600 bucks difference from 10000 lbs utility

Money is a concern but I will pay what it takes. I'm not sure what would be the better option. I will buy something, just want to buy a trailer that will be safe for 100 round trip highway miles to my hunting property 4 or 5 times a year. I want something that's going to be durable for the task.
10k trailer, 20 foot, no tilt

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I have an 18' Car Hauler with a 2' dovetail. I haul my Farmtrac with 6' bush hog and still have room in front of the tractor for a box blade or other implement. The ramps for mine are fold up and can be easily slid apart or together. The axles are 5000 Lb and the capacity is 9k. Paid $3000 at port city trailers in Mobile AL. There is absolutely no substitute for a proper trailer to haul your gear on. Also....make sure that your ramps have feet. When my ramps are down, the feet keep the trailer from picking up the back end of my truck when I load. (Makes it where you can load without being attached to the vehicle).

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I wouldn't go under 10K, which of course means 5k axles. Personally I would be looking for 7k axles. Get a weight distributing hitch too, AKA sway bars.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've used a 10K, metal deck 18' car hauler with dove tail. Nice for loading and good for weight distribution. Trailer brakes are a must (IMHO). If you do not have a good e-brake unit installed on your towing vehicle, get one. Ramps on the dove tail were not an issue since you pulled them straight out and set them down. Have to remember to put the locking pin back in place before travel, else you will be going back to find your ramps. No heavy lifting.

I also borrowed a buddy's receiver that has a weight gauge built in to it. Great for telling how much weight you actually have on the tongue and being able to balance the weight on the trailer properly.

Invest in some good chains to strap your tractor down. I save the ratchet straps for holding my lawn chairs to the cooler on my hitch basket.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
looks like you are in the right weight capacities but if I had to do it over, I'd look for a 20'. Then you also need to decide if you want/need sides. I'm assuming that the utility trailer has sides, hauler does not.

I have a 16' with 2 foot tall sides. Comes in very handy when hauling other "stuff" (furniture, landscape debris etc).

My mistake, thought you had a B series, not BX. You should be fine with an 18 footer.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
have a tilt top this time.. with dual 5200lb axles & disc brakes..

after having it?

i'll never have ramps or a smaller trailer again. its just too easy & handles ANYTHING that i'll ever attempt to do. tractors, cars, trucks, lumber, safes, machines...

footnote: you want your trailer listed as 9999lbs or in most states you get into that other license/tax/plates thing.

Attachments

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Ok so I did a little research .. called peaque. Split ramp is rated too 6000lbs and they offer spring assist for an additional fee. Called dealer and he said 90 bucks plus a half hour labor to install.

Went to another dealer looked at sure track trailers. Not even close in quality. 500 to 1000 cheaper and it showed. Looked at brimar and they were more money tailgate was just angle iron and expanded metal not even close to pequea trailers.
I really like the idea of the tilt bed car hauler but its a lot more money and the dealer said it was overkill for what I needed. The additional weight would put more wear and tear on my truck over the long haul. The side rails would make the landscape trailer more useful.
You all make great sense with your experience. Thank you for your answers and input.
.I'm probably going to get the 7000lbs landscape/ utility trailer. Save the difference for a brush hog .

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Long over do reply . I did get the 18 foot pequod utility trailer 7000lbs . Love it loading is easy . Spring assist on ramps makes it real nice . Tows like a dream . That said with loader and brush hog on iit's short. By a foot . I have to rest fel on front rail in order to put gate up .

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a 18' mission aluminum car hauler a few years back. I was looking a camper trailers one spring and ran across the trailer 'on sale'($3400.) The ramps slide into channels under the trailer. Slide them out and adjust the width as needed.
One thing that sucks was the tiedowns. Hardly any at all. I haul my tractor, ranger , ect on it and the lack of tie down points stink. Or did for a couple days.
I bought a length of 2x2x1/4" aluminum angle. Chopped off a bunch of 4'' long pcs. and mig welded them in the vertical position to the sides of the trailer every 2'. Works great no matter what your hauling. Yes there is a tie down point close.
I didn't have a photo of the trailer side but will take one soon.

Attachments

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
My tractor grew fatter and longer over the winter and when I needed service it didn't fit the trailer any more. I have been in the market for a deck-over with stand up ramps with legs and 20' long. Prices and availability are problematic right now with the shut down closing factories. Paying $200. each way for dealer to service the tractor is not going to happen again. I always trailered it before, but with wheel spacers and BH on it my 16' trailer was too small.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Two numbers to keep in mind. Total towing capacity and Total payload capacity.

If your vehicle can tow 12,000 lbs but only has a payload capacity of 1,000 lbs, you're not going to be able to pull a 12k load.

One thing I did on my F150 to estimate tongue load is I used a pallet 1/2 on my bed and 1/2 on my tailgate and started to load it with concrete blocks. I measured the distance from the wheel well to the ground. So I know for 500, 750 and 1,000 lbs of tongue weight the distance from the rear wheel well to the ground.

The bigger the trailer or longer the trailer, the more the trailer weighs which cuts into payload and towing capacity.

I learned a lot about this when I went from a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton. Not saying I'm an expert. I found that the new 1/2 ton trucks are marketed as being able to tow 13,000 lbs (F150 for example), but in reality, there's no way the average F150 could come close to doing that with a standard equipment/car hauler. You run out of payload capacity far before that.

Last edited:

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
My tractor grew fatter and longer over the winter and when I needed service it didn't fit the trailer any more. I have been in the market for a deck-over with stand up ramps with legs and 20' long. Prices and availability are problematic right now with the shut down closing factories. Paying $200. each way for dealer to service the tractor is not going to happen again. I always trailered it before, but with wheel spacers and BH on it my 16' trailer was too small.

Since Deck Over trailers sit so high, are the ramps long enough that the ramp angle is the same as a lower trailer's ramp angle ? Would it be harder or the same, driving a low sitting tractor with mower deck or with a backhoe up on to a Deck Over trailer ? I really like the wide open deck for multiple uses of a Deck Over but not sure about loading with little ground clearance(mower deck).

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
And the roadside DOT inspections.
Why would a trailer over 10k be subject to roadside inspections? As long as you are under 26k GCWR...should not be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Why would a trailer over 10k be subject to roadside inspections? As long as you are under 26k GCWR...should not be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Depends upon the state you are located in. Toverman you are correct according to the feds but the states can change up the rules.